500 Server Error

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

Re: 500 Server Error

Postby shpoffo » 12:18am, Tue 09 Jun, 2009

All I've changed is the database credentials and the mail login; the rest is as-delivered. I've confirmed the entered details are functional to login. Do you know if there are restricted characters for any of those fields, or if any have max-lengths?
shpoffo
phpList newbie

Postby toritaiyo » 1:00am, Tue 09 Jun, 2009

shpoffo wrote: Do you know if there are restricted characters for any of those fields, or if any have max-lengths?

I'm not sure about restricted characters in phplist but with other CMS I've used before many users were for some reason using username and passwords with "$" in the name which caused them problems.
In general "$" are better off avoided as "$sometext" is a variable in php.

Other than that I'm not sure
toritaiyo
phpList newbie

Postby shpoffo » 10:26am, Tue 09 Jun, 2009

I didn't use $ in the password, though that's a good point in general. "@!" are the only non-alpha-numeric characters involved. The username is 19 chars, the database name is 31.

..thoughts....
shpoffo
phpList newbie

Postby toritaiyo » 3:06pm, Tue 09 Jun, 2009

shpoffo wrote:I didn't use $ in the password, though that's a good point in general. "@!" are the only non-alpha-numeric characters involved. The username is 19 chars, the database name is 31.

..thoughts....

Hmm. I wonder about the "!" ...
Would you be able to create a new database with a name/username/password with only alphanumeric characters? You could enter that info into the config file and then go to lists/admin again to test if it is indeed a character problem.
toritaiyo
phpList newbie

Postby leonardolg » 8:16pm, Tue 09 Jun, 2009

Hi. I don't know if my problem is similar.

I've just installed phplist and made the settings in config.php.
But, when I access the http://www.mysite.com/lists or http://www.mysite.com/lists/admin, I only see a Blank Page.

Could you help-me? I mean, do you known what is wrong?
Thanks, Leonardo
leonardolg
phpList newbie

Postby toritaiyo » 1:29pm, Wed 10 Jun, 2009

@leonardolg

To clarify,

So you first received a 500 server error, right? And then you deleted "php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on" from .htaccess

And now you just see a blank page when you go to lists/admin?
toritaiyo
phpList newbie

Postby leonardolg » 2:40pm, Wed 10 Jun, 2009

No.

I installed the PHPlist and I only see a Blank Page (when I try to browse /lists or /lists/admin).
I've checked config.php many times and read other topics in this Fórum, but I can't find what the problem could be.

After your post, I deleted "php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on" from .htaccess but nothing has changed! I put it back again and the Blank Page persists...

Thank you for your help!
leonardolg
phpList newbie

Postby toritaiyo » 3:33pm, Thu 11 Jun, 2009

so you are not seeing a 500 server error, just a blank page?

hmmm. I don't know.
The http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistTroubleshooting page has info on the blank page problem (see "other error messages" #6)

It seems like it is saying this is likely a config.php file problem and shows how to check if that is the problem.

Worth a try probably but if it doesn't help maybe deleting the files and starting again, since this is a fresh install anyway.

Don't know if I was helpful, but I hope so.
toritaiyo
phpList newbie

Postby leonardolg » 7:26pm, Thu 11 Jun, 2009

Ok.
I had read the Troubleshooting before posting and I have tried all sorts of things, even deleting the files and starting again. Nothing has worked, and I'm still getting the "blank page".
Thank you, anyway! I won't give up...
leonardolg
phpList newbie

Postby ebenjen » 1:43pm, Fri 12 Jun, 2009

I had the same problem with a phplist installation before and I just removed the magic_quotes line from .htaccess like you have. I also got the warning message, but I just ingored it. I am not sure if ignoring it is a good idea or not, but it seems to work :)

I, too, just installed PHPList using Fantastico and got the blank page until I deleted the magic quotes line from .htaccess. I can now login to both the public and admin directories but I wonder about the warning error:

Warning: Things will work better when PHP magic_quotes_gpc = on

Can anyone elaborate on what that means? What does "work better" mean? Faster, slower, more features (if so, what would they be?)? Am I going to have problems down the line? It's hard to know if this is worth further troubleshooting or if I can just proceed to use my lists without any real problems.
ebenjen
phpList newbie

Postby elrod » 2:49pm, Sun 14 Jun, 2009

SO i am having the same issue for the mywebsite/lists/admin page. I can not access anything when trying to hit this URL..I have checked the config.php file and all seems correct. Can someone confirm whether I am supposed to have the double quotes or single quotes around the items in the config.php file?

Also I dont have anything in my .htaccess file other than these two items..

Order allow,deny
deny from all

Am i missing anything
elrod
phpList newbie

Postby andrewutt » 1:49am, Mon 15 Jun, 2009

Hello, I used to get a 500 error, but deleted the magic line. Then each of my phplist pages (including the subscribe page) had a bunch of code at the top. phpList works just fine, but this intro is very distracting - especially on the subscribe page. Is there a way to fix this?

Here's a link so you can see what it looks like on the page. Any insight into how to remove this would help a ton!
http://www.voydecopas.com/assets/lists/?p=subscribe

Thanks
andrewutt
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 6:55am, Mon 15 Jun, 2009

andrewutt wrote:Hello, I used to get a 500 error, but deleted the magic line. Then each of my phplist pages (including the subscribe page) had a bunch of code at the top. phpList works just fine, but this intro is very distracting - especially on the subscribe page. Is there a way to fix this?
This looks like a PHP short tag issue.

Please see this FAQ: When loading the admin page I get some PHP code instead of a clean page. How do I fix this?
H2B2

Postby H2B2 » 7:02am, Mon 15 Jun, 2009

elrod wrote:Also I dont have anything in my .htaccess file other than these two items..

Order allow,deny
deny from all
That doesn't look like the contents of the .htaccess files contained in the "lists" directory. Assuming you did a manual installation, it seems to me something went wrong. You might try reinstalling.
See also: http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistInstallation

With regard config.php, you'll find an sample of most settings in:
http://docs.phplist.com/PhpListConfiguration
http://docs.phplist.com/PhpListConfigDatabase
http://docs.phplist.com/PhpListConfigBounces
etc.
H2B2

Postby andrewutt » 8:33pm, Mon 15 Jun, 2009

H2B2 wrote:
andrewutt wrote:Hello, I used to get a 500 error, but deleted the magic line. Then each of my phplist pages (including the subscribe page) had a bunch of code at the top. phpList works just fine, but this intro is very distracting - especially on the subscribe page. Is there a way to fix this?
This looks like a PHP short tag issue.

Please see this FAQ: When loading the admin page I get some PHP code instead of a clean page. How do I fix this?

Thanks - I tried this, but it just turned phpList into another 500 error. And all of my pages have the short code already, so no need to run the short2long.sh.

Here's what my .htaccess code looks like... Any help would be appreciated.

DirectoryIndex index.php

<FilesMatch "\.(php|inc)$">
Order allow,deny
deny from all
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch "(index.php|dl.php|ut.php|lt.php|download.php)$">
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</FilesMatch>
#php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on
#php_flag short_open_tag on
andrewutt