Limit sending to no more than 100 emails per hour

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

Postby H2B2 » 10:43pm, Tue 20 May, 2008

It might possibly help if you'd take another look at these documentation pages:
http://docs.phplist.com/PhpListConfigSendRate
http://docs.phplist.com/PhpInterfacesInfo
H2B2

Postby Guest » 12:25am, Thu 21 Aug, 2008

Does anyone know the average limit per hour for most hosting services? or atleast just say yours if you know it other than those who already have in this thread

Postby scott_see » 4:04pm, Sat 30 Aug, 2008

I work with two hosts, one limits me to 100/hr, the other 400/hr.

Siteground is 400/hr, though better double check this before you blast out email. They have different rates for different plans.
scott_see
phpLister

Need to increase batch size from 50 and Error mes to subscri

Postby Lori@LKN » 2:44pm, Mon 23 Feb, 2009

Hello and Help! Where do I go to increase the batch size? I could not find thd config.php "miscellaneous section".

Also, our subscripton page is giving an error message below to people who try to subscribe to our page. We just found out about this.

Error Messge: Sorry, sending the email to request your confirmation failed, please click "Reload" to try again. If it still does not work, it may be because you are listed on our "Black List", which means that you cannot receive emails from our newsletter system. In that case, please contact the administrator.

Thank you in advance!
Lori@LKN
phpList newbie

e-mails

Postby joyisaac » 12:53pm, Sun 15 Mar, 2009

I think this is right place to raise my concern. I am not able to send bulk messages through yahoo or gmail. After sending few messages it gives warrning that you have exeeded the limit. Why this limit per hour? Can php softwares work independetly above yahoo or gmail and enable sending bulk mails or it is still may have the restriction even after installing php software.
joyisaac
phpList newbie

Re: Limit sending to no more than 100 emails per hour

Postby computergenius » 8:56pm, Fri 21 Aug, 2009

I understand Cron, and I understand throttling.

But what I don't understand is - say I have 600 addresses, and limit to 200 per hour.

Do I need one Cron to start it? Or 3, to restart PHPList once every hour?

I *think* PHPList will send all 600, slowly (assuming that I get the settings correct), from one Cron job. Is that correct?
computergenius
phpLister

Postby Dragonrider » 5:41am, Sat 22 Aug, 2009

computergenius wrote:I understand Cron, and I understand throttling.

But what I don't understand is - say I have 600 addresses, and limit to 200 per hour.

I *think* PHPList will send all 600, slowly (assuming that I get the settings correct), from one Cron job. Is that correct?

I don't understand Cron at all, smells of the black arts to me! :)

However, the throttling itself can be set in the lists/config/config.php file
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby CS2 » 6:15am, Sat 22 Aug, 2009

computergenius wrote:I understand Cron, and I understand throttling.

In a perfect world...yes. However, in the real world nasty things like script timeouts occur (especially with high throttle settings), so having the cron run at least once an hour helps make sure everything keeps moving.
CS2
PL Master

Postby computergenius » 10:54am, Sun 23 Aug, 2009

Thanks for those replies.

CS2 : So if I set the Cron to fire once an hour, it sounds as though it will "pick up where it left off". And presumably, won't start if the previous hours session is still running?

DragonRider : I could bore you witless with the number of Crons that I have set up, updating information on my websites - update the currency rates every day, so that properties for sale can be shown multicurrency, or updating events lists, so that those in the past are either repeated (if required) or deleted (if they are not going to repeat), so no outdated events ever appear, or... oops, sorry, there I went ... <G>
computergenius
phpLister

Postby Aeropars » 1:43pm, Tue 25 Aug, 2009

hi guys,

Newbie here so go easy :)

I'm using hostgator and have installed PHPList using their Fantastico installer. As part of the installer it sets up the cron job and I set it to run every 15 minutes. The link in the CPanel cron job bit shows the command line as

'cd '/home/mysite/public_html/phplist/admin/' ; php -q index.php -p processqueue > /dev/null ;'

Its set to run every 15 minutes, of every hour, on every day, of every month.

Now my host has a limit of 500 emails per hour so I'm confused as to what other settings I need to change in the software. I'm going to be emailing around 6000 users.

Can anyone tell me what i need to do in the config file?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me get this working! I'm getting desperate.
Aeropars
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 2:24am, Wed 26 Aug, 2009

Aeropars wrote:Now my host has a limit of 500 emails per hour so I'm confused as to what other settings I need to change in the software. I'm going to be emailing around 6000 users

In lists/config/config.php you'll find a number of settings to limit sending speed and keep in line with your host's requirements. With a message limit of 500 mgs/hr you could reserve 400 or 450 msgs/hr for phplist. The remaining margin can be used for other messages, i.e. those sent with your email client or other applications.

The following settings will disable batch processing, and rely on the the mailqueue throttle to limit message sending by inserting a pause between each sent message. In your case a pause of 8 or 9 seconds should be fine: 3600 seconds (=1 hour)/450 msgs > pause of 8 seconds.

# batch processing disabled:
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",0);

# Batch_period is not effective when batch processing is disabled:
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",3600);

# Pause between messages (in seconds) to send no more than 450 messages per hour:
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',8);

See also: http://docs.phplist.com/PhpListConfigSendRate
H2B2

Postby Aeropars » 11:31am, Wed 26 Aug, 2009

Many thanks for the reply. I just want to be clear before I go and set this up.

I will set the settings you suggested (which I understand) but i'm a little confused as to where the CRON job comes in. Can you perhaps explain what the cron job is doing in this instance?

Many thanks.
Aeropars
phpList newbie

Postby ankme23 » 2:31pm, Sun 09 May, 2010

Im using hostgator and they allow 500 email per hour so can i set it to 450 per hour as i hav around 50k email list
ankme23
phpList newbie

Postby mikeaja » 11:44am, Fri 22 Oct, 2010

For what it's worth, I think it is crazy that so many here are using shared (and even cheap shared) hosting as the place to base mailing campaigns from.

Any shared hosting provider that allows anywhere near 500 mails per hour should be kept away from. If there are 200 + accounts on the server (which is normal), then the performance if a number start doing this will be awful.

Anyone seriously considering email campaigns from PHPlist of more than a few hundred emails should get a VPS / VDS or dedicated server.

This is not what shared hosting was designed for. I'm amazed these cheap hosting companies allow this at all. I guess they are just betting that not more than 1 or 2 people will do this at once.
mikeaja
phpLister

how to send emails to 100 users per time?

Postby booyeeka » 5:32pm, Fri 22 Oct, 2010

hello,
i need to send only 100 emails per day. how can i send only 100 emails per one action of sending?

tnx in adv!
booyeeka
phpLister

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions