how do I mark everyone to receive HTML instead of text

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

Postby michiel » 12:28pm, Mon 30 Jun, 2003

Login to your mysql database and type

mysql > update phplist_user set htmlemail = 1;

where phplist_user is your user table (depends on the prefix you use)

you can also export your users and update the column "send this user html emails" to the value you want (0 or 1) and then re-import the list. Make sure to keep the column name of the field "send this user html emails", and PHPlist will detect the new value
michiel
Admin

Postby iassen4o » 6:02pm, Wed 23 Jul, 2003

And how do i sent html mails only to users marked to receive html ?

my version: 2.2.1

i dont like the way text is being rendered from html - to much spaces and
special chars not converted.
Well i thought of making two versions text and html.
The Problem is even when i selcet Format :html and send es html while preparing the message - text subscribers still get the generated text version
iassen4o
phpLister

my user table?

Postby stickerguy » 2:01pm, Thu 13 May, 2004

Login to your mysql database and type

Where would my user table be located? I mean, how can I find out what my user table is called, what to put in place of phplist_user?

Fergive me, but I'm a bit of a beginner...

thanks in advance for help!
Pete
stickerguy
phpList newbie

Postby pdbrett » 2:33pm, Thu 13 May, 2004

Quicker to go to the function "reconcileusers" under "List and user functions" on the main admin page.

There you will find an option "To mark all users to receive HTML, click here".

Not sure when this was added, but it is certainly in the 2 latest versions 2.8.5 & 2.8.6...
Paul Brett
pdbrett
PL Geek

Re: how do I mark everyone to receive HTML instead of text

Postby MJames » 1:44pm, Mon 28 Mar, 2005

michiel wrote:Login to your mysql database and type

you can also export your users and update the column "send this user html emails" to the value you want (0 or 1) and then re-import the list. Make sure to keep the column name of the field "send this user html emails", and PHPlist will detect the new value

Thanks much for this! :D I think it's going to be easier for some users including myself to do this via phpAdmin. I have the latest version of PHPList and I believe the table is called phplist_user_user, there is an htmlemail field.
MJames
phpLister

question to html mails

Postby basler8 » 12:37pm, Sat 05 Nov, 2005

hello, i have understand so far, but

dit i have to go to user managment and set the "1" for html mails for EVERY USER?

i do not have so much member but its is hard to klick every user and set "1" so this user become mails in html.

is it possible, to make this automatic for ALL users in 1 group i have??
Sorry for my english.
basler8
phpList newbie

Postby karl019 » 4:49pm, Tue 22 Nov, 2005

basler8,

At least in 2.10.2, first login to the backend (admin). Then click "manage users" on the right, then "reconcile users" and lastly "mark all users to receive html".

Hope that helps,

Karl
karl019
phpLister

auto-detect multi-part mime?

Postby ceilidhdad » 5:35am, Thu 02 Mar, 2006

Hi All --

I currently use an expensive (and not terribly competent) e-mail list service, and I'd like to switch to PHPlist. The one good thing they do is autodetect whether the subscriber can receive HTML (without the subscriber checking a box), and if not send the text version.

My understanding is that you have to insert "Content-Type: multipart/alternative" in the message header. Can this be done in PHPlist? If not, is it being considered for a future release?

Thanks!

Adam
ceilidhdad
phpList newbie

Postby Sharon » 3:24pm, Thu 10 Aug, 2006

OK, so to expand on this area a little...

My problem is that when I send a test message (to me) I receive both the text and HTML version. I do not wish to have a text version, or make it available to subscribers...

Would anyone be able to help me with this...I am VERY new at this.

Thanks
Sharon
Sharon
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 3:52pm, Thu 10 Aug, 2006

Sharon wrote:My problem is that when I send a test message (to me) I receive both the text and HTML version. I do not wish to have a text version, or make it available to subscribers...

For test messages, this is normal phplist behaviour so that you have a chance to see how the text version would look if you would want to send it to subscribers.

If subscribers are only marked to receive html, they shouldn't receive any text messages. Try it in a test list if you want.
H2B2

Postby Totto » 9:41pm, Mon 14 Aug, 2006

Sharon wrote:OK, so to expand on this area a little...

My problem is that when I send a test message (to me) I receive both the text and HTML version. I do not wish to have a text version, or make it available to subscribers...

Thanks
Sharon

You always receive both plain text and html version of the email when sending test messages. But when you send a message to a list, it's users will receive only one of the versions. If they are confirmed to receive html emails and their email client allows them, than they'll get just the html version, with nothing from the plain text. Instead just the plain text version will go to them. That's it. Nothing to worry about
To all forum users: Search the forums when you got a question first! Your question may have already been asked many times before and also many times answered. The search feature is your best friend on any forums of this kind!
Totto
PL Master

Postby Sharon » 4:24am, Wed 23 Aug, 2006

Thanks for your help guys! :D
Sharon
phpLister

Postby skoenig » 2:32am, Sat 07 Oct, 2006

With phplist 2.10.2

Um... if I create and send an text only message to a list, everyone gets it regardless of whether Receive HTML EMail is 1 or 0 in their profiles (I had fours email and only one of which had that set to 0 but we all got it.

Is that correct behaviour, does that filter only work for html not sending to Receive HTML Email (0)?

Or is it somehow reading the 'default users to HTML flag in the spages config which I currentlyt have set?

~ Steph
skoenig
PL Nut

Postby phpfan » 6:44pm, Sun 05 Nov, 2006

Totto wrote:
Sharon wrote:OK, so to expand on this area a little...

Thanks
Sharon

You always receive both plain text and html version of the email when sending test messages. But when you send a message to a list, it's users will receive only one of the versions. If they are confirmed to receive html emails and their email client allows them, than they'll get just the html version, with nothing from the plain text. Instead just the plain text version will go to them. That's it. Nothing to worry about

It's very nice to know that "[i]f they are confirmed to receive html emails and their email client allows them, than they'll get just the html version...," but is there a way to find out which addressees received plain text because their email client *didn't* allow HTML?

For example, PHPlist displays stats like this for each message sent to a mailing list.

total text html both PDF both
276 23 0 285 0 0

In this case, I only intended for 3 addressees to receive plain text (i.e., their user profile has a 0 in the "Send this user HTML emails" field). But according to the above stats, 23 addressees got plain text. How do I find out who those 23 plain-text recipients were?

Thanks,

PHPFan
phpfan
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 10:08pm, Sun 19 Aug, 2007

You will find an option on the reconcile users page to mark all users to receive HTML messages:
Admin main page > manage users > reconcile users > mark all users to receive html
Ref: http://docs.phplist.com/ReconcileUsersInfo
H2B2

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions