how do I mark everyone to receive HTML instead of text

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

Help!

Postby Jonathon » 2:52pm, Wed 28 May, 2008

I have a question, so I'm not very computer literate you could say but I am here with phplist trying to send out a blast email. I have an html template set up and all I need to do is enter my text so I can send it to the list of emails I already have entered. The problem is that I just use copy paste in the message section and then when I do a test email I get random ! or weird spacing. I'm sure I'm just being stupid but can some one tell me how to put text in the message box and get it to come out right when emailed in HTML, so that my template will show up as well as clear text? I thought because the interface was in Rich-Text formate that it would take a document right from word and convert it as its sends to HTML to match the template. Can someone decipher what I'm saying and help me? thanks.
word
Jonathon
phpList newbie

Re: Help!

Postby Ernesto » 11:41pm, Wed 28 May, 2008

Jonathon wrote:I thought because the interface was in Rich-Text formate that it would take a document right from word and convert it as its sends to HTML to match the template.
pasting a word document is not a good idea. If you want to use an external program to write your message content, you can best use a HTML editor and copy/paste the HTML source in phplist, using FCKeditor source button.

See also http://docs.phplist.com/TemplatesInfo
Search first, Ask questions later...
Ernesto
PL Freak!

how to default "checked" in html/txt checkbox

Postby Breezy » 3:05pm, Wed 04 Jun, 2008

I went thru PHPMyAdmin and set the default value to 1 for HTML email. No problem there.

However on the subscription page the box is still uncheckeed. What I would like is a way/method for the HTML box to be checked by default. That will involve some PHP code changing on that page. Can you advise? That IMO the admin area should have an adjustment to control this issue .. by defaulting the control rather than advising everyone to edit all users to html email via user controls or db edits.

Thanks for any replies.
Breezy
phpList newbie

Re: how to default "checked" in html/txt checkbox

Postby H2B2 » 9:24am, Thu 20 Nov, 2008

Breezy wrote:However on the subscription page the box is still uncheckeed. What I would like is a way/method for the HTML box to be checked by default.

You should be able to configure this when editing the subscribe page by selecting "Don't offer choice, default to HTML" or "Radio buttons, default to HTML"
HTML Email choice

You must select one option. This will determine to what extent your users are allowed to select the format in which they will receive your messages:

Don't offer choice, default to text [radio]
Don't offer choice, default to HTML [radio]
Offer checkbox for text [radio]
Offer checkbox for HTML [radio]
Radio buttons, default to text [radio]
Radio buttons, default to HTML [radio]
ref: http://docs.phplist.com/EditSubscribePageInfo
H2B2

Postby Guest » 11:11am, Sat 29 Nov, 2008

Well... it's not my post, but it help me a lot.

Thanks for the replys. Thanks H2B2 and others for your time.

Regards,
MEM

Re: how do I mark everyone to receive HTML instead of text

Postby joannabenz » 2:16am, Mon 03 May, 2010

Yes, selecting an option on the subscribe page sounds much easier. Thank you for posting this alternative!
joannabenz
phpList newbie

Postby davidsrk » 9:05am, Mon 29 Nov, 2010

Hey, I think ive done it, Ive been to Manage Users, Reconcile Users and send as HTML to all users.

Will this be it now, finished. Ive been sending over 6000 emails out for the last few months and Ive just noticed that the majority on messages got sent in TEXT format..

Do i need to do anything else?

Cheers

David
davidsrk
phpList newbie

Postby anylinux » 6:33am, Tue 14 Dec, 2010

However on the subscription page the box is still uncheckeed. What I would like is a way/method for the HTML box to be checked by default. That will involve some PHP code changing on that page. Can you advise? That IMO the admin area should have an adjustment to control this issue .. by defaulting the control rather than advising everyone to edit all users to html email via user controls or db edits.
anylinux
phpList newbie

Postby Dragonrider » 6:52am, Tue 14 Dec, 2010

anylinux wrote:However on the subscription page the box is still uncheckeed. What I would like is a way/method for the HTML box to be checked by default. That will involve some PHP code changing on that page. Can you advise? That IMO the admin area should have an adjustment to control this issue .. by defaulting the control rather than advising everyone to edit all users to html email via user controls or db edits.

Simple, simply set the users choice to HTML only when setting up your list within the phpList admin list configration page, no need to edit source code.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby Ranma » 1:02pm, Thu 27 Oct, 2011

In order to enable already existing list/lists of users to receive email in html format:
Manage users > Reconcile users > Mark all users to receive Html

This will set the users' attribute "Send this user HTML emails" to 1 for every registered user.
Ranma
phpLister

Postby arundgupta » 9:18am, Fri 07 Sep, 2012

Now that I have marked everyone to receive HTML emails, but when I am sending test emails of real emails the users who are marked to receive HTML emails are receiving text emails (without HTML code).

Can any one help me find why is this happening?
arundgupta
phpList newbie

Previous

Return to Frequently Asked Questions