Why does my website point to yours

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

Why does my website point to yours

Postby michiel » 12:37pm, Mon 30 Jun, 2003

Q: After I installed PHPlist my website redirects to your website. Why does that happen?

A: You have to set up your website as usual, and PHPlist will be in your "lists" directory. You can overwrite the files in "public_html" and all should be working correctly again.
michiel
Admin

Help

Postby BearHeart » 7:01pm, Sun 07 Mar, 2004

I am having the same problem, but don't fully understand your response here. My installation of phplist was an auto script provided by my webhost. I am currently running phpnuke 6.8 and installed phplist in my public_html folder next to the Folder (main) that I inserted the phpnuke into. I am having the same promlem with the subscribe and all other pages poitning back to your site. I am skilled at manually editing pages, if you can tell me what to edit please.

thanks
BearHeart
phpList newbie

Postby BearHeart » 12:57am, Sun 14 Mar, 2004

Actually, as i stated, the installation is a auto script from my webhost, and unfortunately it will not allow me to overwrite the public_html foilder, it will only allow me to install to a top level directory within the public_html folder. Any other suggestions please. This looks like a great tool, but if i cannot install it in a manner that works, it is of course no use to me.
Thankd for any further assistance.
BearHeart
phpList newbie

Postby michiel » 10:45am, Mon 15 Mar, 2004

that sounds like you have to ask your webhost instead.
michiel
Admin

Postby OBTUSE » 6:12am, Sun 04 Apr, 2004

If your version of PHPlist is auto installed for you ......

PHPlist places an index.html into the public_html area on your sever. This is not required and in fact is simply an advertisement for PHPlist.

PHPlist, in it's entirety, is in the directory /lists.

You DO NOT overwrite the public_html folder, you enter it and replace the index.html file. All other configuration of PHPlist is done to the files within
public_html/lists/....et al

You may also have had a folder /bin installed. It contains additional files that are, for the general user, not necessary.

Further to this, read the /lists/config/config.php file VERY carefully. In there you will find a number of instances where the program calls from and sends to the phplist site.
OBTUSE
phpLister

Postby eburroughs » 3:43am, Wed 23 Mar, 2005

I must be missing something. my site is sent to the phplist site as well. I keep reading about changing the configuration and setup but how do I get to that and were do I find that to change it?
eburroughs
phpLister

Why your site looks like phplist's site now

Postby digitalb0y » 5:47am, Tue 14 Jun, 2005

okay, for those that are not understanding this thread:

Your website is in a folder on your server, the root directory of your site is probably called "public_html" or "httpdocs" or something similar. Within that folder is the file that functions as your homepage. It is called index.htm or something similar.

When you installed phplist, you copied the contents of a folder into your site's root directory... you put a folder called "lists" which contains the phplist, and a file called "index.htm," which either overwrote your own index.htm or is functioning as your new index file (if you had one called index.html for example, it could still be there, but the site goes to the other one first). The index.htm file that you copied into your root directory is a page that points to the phplist site. Therefore, you need to replace it with a new index.htm that is your website's homepage/spashscreen/etc.
digitalb0y
PL Nut

Postby starapple » 4:11pm, Fri 17 Jun, 2005

Isn't this dangerous? ...overwriting the site's index page? Is this info in the install documents warning users to rename their index file while installing?
starapple
phpList newbie

index.htm

Postby digitalb0y » 8:38pm, Fri 17 Jun, 2005

I don't remember... I noticed there was an index.htm file in the zip, so I didn't copy that part over, I just copied the "lists" folder and its contents. I guess they figure that if you're building a website you must have some idea of what you're doing.

Seriously though, I doubt it was done without some kind of documentation telling you it was there. I'll grab the zip file again and see what's in it and what it says.

C
digitalb0y
PL Nut

index.htm

Postby digitalb0y » 9:01pm, Fri 17 Jun, 2005

Okay, there's not a warning in the file marked INSTALL... but a quick look at the index.htm that is contained in the folder says "You will prabably want to replace this file with your own website" before redirecting your browser to their homepage. Why they have you copy the contents of the public_html folder into your own public_html folder is a bit of a mystery to me, since all that you need is the lists folder. I recommend copying only that folder onto your server. I think the index.htm file is there simply to show you where everything goes in relation to your own pages.

In answer to starapple's question, I suppose this could be dangerous, overwriting your index file, if you do all of your editing on-line and don't keep a local copy of your pages. I find this to be a dangerous way to work anyway, especially if you're installing 3rd party software and don't have enough knowledge of how a site works to avoid copying over your only copy of your index file. A better thing to do than asking why the folks at Tincan (who gave you some great software for free) did what they did with your index file is to be careful, read everything before copying over your own stuff, answer "no" or "cancel" when you get a dialog asking if you want to replace your index with the new one you haven't even read yet, etc.

Just my 2 cents

C
digitalb0y
PL Nut

Postby dwh » 9:18pm, Sat 13 May, 2006

Okay, first of all, something needs to be made clear here:

You do not have a "PHPlist site". You have a list management software. No part of that software resides in /public_html.

There is no "site" for anyone to see. The part of this software that anyone can see from the web, consists ONLY of the list management interfaces.

No one ever goes to your "phplist site". They go to the subscribe pages, they go to the preferences pages - but they NEVER go to /public_html for anything unless you decide to construct something there yourself.

Nor do you, as the admin, ever need to go to /public_html.

You manage your lists by going to:
http://yourdomain/phplist/public_html/lists/admin

You don't need an index.html in the public_html directory - in fact, you really should have a 404 "Nothing to see here, move along" page in that directory.

Now, the phplist programmers have kindly dumped an index.html page into that directory. This is a normal and simple security precaution. If your web server is configured to allow "directory browsing" then if there is no index.html, then anyone can see the raw directories and files.

You really don't want anyone browsing around and perhaps seeing your config file and copping your database password do you?

No, you don't.

So, either make sure that the directory browsing is turned off in your web server, or make sure you have 404 pages in all the places where no one ever needs to go (like /phplist/public_html/).

In the meantime, the phplist programmers have added files here and there to stop people from browsing your dirs. Feel free to change those files at any time, but if you don't - you're still covered.
dwh
phpLister

Postby WisTex » 11:40am, Tue 16 May, 2006

You do not have a "PHPlist site". You have a list management software. No part of that software resides in /public_html.

I think you are not understanding what the previous person is saying.

On many webhosts the public_html folder is the root folder for the website. So, if you type www.mydomain.com, it serves whatever index.html file is in the public_html folder.

In other words, as an example, the path on the server is /srv/user/public_html but would be www.mydomain.com on the internet. /srv/user/public_html/lists would be www.mydomain.com/lists on the internet.

On some web hosts the ENTIRE WEBSITE is in the public_html folder.

Hint: you only see the public_html folder when logged in via FTP. Someone viewing the website would be viewing the contents of the public_html folder without knowing that is what they are doing.
There is no "site" for anyone to see. The part of this software that anyone can see from the web, consists ONLY of the list management interfaces.

No one ever goes to your "phplist site". They go to the subscribe pages, they go to the preferences pages - but they NEVER go to /public_html for anything unless you decide to construct something there yourself.

Your home page would be in the public_html folder. If you type in the domain name without specifying a page, it serves index.htm or index.html or index.php page which is supposed to be your home page.
Nor do you, as the admin, ever need to go to /public_html.

You manage your lists by going to:
http://yourdomain/phplist/public_html/lists/admin

You are assuming the public_html is a subdirectory of the website. On many web hosts the public_html folder is the ROOT folder.
In the meantime, the phplist programmers have added files here and there to stop people from browsing your dirs. Feel free to change those files at any time, but if you don't - you're still covered.

And they also deleted the home page of your website while they are at it.
WisTex
phpLister

phplist should remove the index.html

Postby bpeikes » 9:08pm, Fri 30 Jun, 2006

I've asked that the index.html be removed as well. I had the same problem where installing the software overwrote my index.html. Of course I had no way of knowing it, and I didn't find out until my client called me.
Couldn't be more unprofessional.

As an aside, is there any work being done on phplist? There hasn't been a release in quite some time. I was trying to help work on the import functionality, but I find it difficult to get my code changes added back to the product, which makes me nervous about contributing in the first place.
bpeikes
PL Nut

Postby segwist » 5:37am, Fri 11 May, 2007

starapple wrote:Isn't this dangerous? ...overwriting the site's index page? Is this info in the install documents warning users to rename their index file while installing?

Not at all... the Install Guide instructs users to upload the LISTS folder only, and then Guide continues to instruct how to point to the domain root. IT says so right here: http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistInstallation

Usually this is is follows:

YOURSITE.com

You upload the LISTS folder to the root of your server's web facing folder hierachy. This is of course public_html or even a folder called www via FTP.

You back up a copy and then change the CONFIG document as per the install guide and then upload over the top of the default one.

Then you follow the install guide again and go to...

YOURSITE.com/list/admin

And away you go :)

Now im not an expert so im not sure WHY the download of PHPlist comes with the folders it does when you only need to upload the LISTS folder??? Some legacy programming? I dont think too many people would upload an index.html over the top of their own index.... but the download package isnt the useful tool i thought it might be. The install guide and these forums however are.
segwist
phpList newbie

Postby Ace on Fire » 10:00pm, Wed 20 Jun, 2007

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*FIXED*

I just fixed it!! My bad!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue here: ( ).aceonfire.( ) (This is my first post so I cannot write URLs!! Please put 3w's and a com next to it)

I followed every single step of the configuration method as posted on this website. But when I checked my own website one hour ago, it seemed to be redirecing the viewers towards this site. I immediately removed the "/Lists" directory and replaced my index file. As you can see the index file is working: ( ).aceonfire.( )/index.php.
Yet my basic domain name redirects here.

Does anyone know how this could be?

I have followed every step I was supposed to, but no one can see my website when typing in the basic internet address! This is outrageous, because in the meanwhile I am paying quite an amount of money for the web hosting and domain name, and the purpose of that certainly isn't to be redirected here!!!
Ace on Fire
phpList newbie

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions