[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
phplist forums • View topic - Why does my website point to yours

Why does my website point to yours

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

Why does my website point to yours

Postby michiel » 12:37pm, Mon 30 Jun, 2003

michiel
Admin

Help

Postby BearHeart » 7:01pm, Sun 07 Mar, 2004

BearHeart
phpList newbie

Postby BearHeart » 12:57am, Sun 14 Mar, 2004

BearHeart
phpList newbie

Postby michiel » 10:45am, Mon 15 Mar, 2004

michiel
Admin

Postby OBTUSE » 6:12am, Sun 04 Apr, 2004

OBTUSE
phpLister

Postby eburroughs » 3:43am, Wed 23 Mar, 2005

eburroughs
phpLister

Why your site looks like phplist's site now

Postby digitalb0y » 5:47am, Tue 14 Jun, 2005

okay, for those that are not understanding this thread:

Your website is in a folder on your server, the root directory of your site is probably called "public_html" or "httpdocs" or something similar. Within that folder is the file that functions as your homepage. It is called index.htm or something similar.

When you installed phplist, you copied the contents of a folder into your site's root directory... you put a folder called "lists" which contains the phplist, and a file called "index.htm," which either overwrote your own index.htm or is functioning as your new index file (if you had one called index.html for example, it could still be there, but the site goes to the other one first). The index.htm file that you copied into your root directory is a page that points to the phplist site. Therefore, you need to replace it with a new index.htm that is your website's homepage/spashscreen/etc.
digitalb0y
PL Nut

Postby starapple » 4:11pm, Fri 17 Jun, 2005

starapple
phpList newbie

index.htm

Postby digitalb0y » 8:38pm, Fri 17 Jun, 2005

digitalb0y
PL Nut

index.htm

Postby digitalb0y » 9:01pm, Fri 17 Jun, 2005

Okay, there's not a warning in the file marked INSTALL... but a quick look at the index.htm that is contained in the folder says "You will prabably want to replace this file with your own website" before redirecting your browser to their homepage. Why they have you copy the contents of the public_html folder into your own public_html folder is a bit of a mystery to me, since all that you need is the lists folder. I recommend copying only that folder onto your server. I think the index.htm file is there simply to show you where everything goes in relation to your own pages.

In answer to starapple's question, I suppose this could be dangerous, overwriting your index file, if you do all of your editing on-line and don't keep a local copy of your pages. I find this to be a dangerous way to work anyway, especially if you're installing 3rd party software and don't have enough knowledge of how a site works to avoid copying over your only copy of your index file. A better thing to do than asking why the folks at Tincan (who gave you some great software for free) did what they did with your index file is to be careful, read everything before copying over your own stuff, answer "no" or "cancel" when you get a dialog asking if you want to replace your index with the new one you haven't even read yet, etc.

Just my 2 cents

C
digitalb0y
PL Nut

Postby dwh » 9:18pm, Sat 13 May, 2006

dwh
phpLister

Postby WisTex » 11:40am, Tue 16 May, 2006

WisTex
phpLister

phplist should remove the index.html

Postby bpeikes » 9:08pm, Fri 30 Jun, 2006

I've asked that the index.html be removed as well. I had the same problem where installing the software overwrote my index.html. Of course I had no way of knowing it, and I didn't find out until my client called me.
Couldn't be more unprofessional.

As an aside, is there any work being done on phplist? There hasn't been a release in quite some time. I was trying to help work on the import functionality, but I find it difficult to get my code changes added back to the product, which makes me nervous about contributing in the first place.
bpeikes
PL Nut

Postby segwist » 5:37am, Fri 11 May, 2007

segwist
phpList newbie

Postby Ace on Fire » 10:00pm, Wed 20 Jun, 2007

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*FIXED*

I just fixed it!! My bad!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi, I'm having the exact same issue here: ( ).aceonfire.( ) (This is my first post so I cannot write URLs!! Please put 3w's and a com next to it)

I followed every single step of the configuration method as posted on this website. But when I checked my own website one hour ago, it seemed to be redirecing the viewers towards this site. I immediately removed the "/Lists" directory and replaced my index file. As you can see the index file is working: ( ).aceonfire.( )/index.php.
Yet my basic domain name redirects here.

Does anyone know how this could be?

I have followed every step I was supposed to, but no one can see my website when typing in the basic internet address! This is outrageous, because in the meanwhile I am paying quite an amount of money for the web hosting and domain name, and the purpose of that certainly isn't to be redirected here!!!
Ace on Fire
phpList newbie

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions