How to remove Reason (Tell Us Why) from Unsubscribe page

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

How to remove Reason (Tell Us Why) from Unsubscribe page

Postby jsherk » 8:38pm, Fri 07 Dec, 2007

I was searching the forums for any answer on how I could remove the Tell Us Why box from the unsubscribe page, since I just want everybody to be able to unsubscribe and I don't care about the reason.

I was unable to find any info, so I figured it out myelf, and am posting the instructions here...

This mod is for version 2.10.5, but it should be very similar for any version that contains this form.

STEP 1
Make a copy of your lists/index.php file, and call it something like index.php.ORIGINAL.

STEP 2
Open the lists/index.php file, and find the follwing lines:
Code: Select all
$res .= $GLOBALS["strUnsubscribeRequestForReason"];
$res .= sprintf('<br/><textarea name="unsubscribereason" cols="%d" rows="%d" wrap="virtual"></textarea>',$c,$r).'

'.$finaltext.'

<p><input type=submit name="unsubscribe" value="'.$GLOBALS["strUnsubscribe"].'"></p>';

STEP 3
Replace the above lines with the following:
$res .= sprintf('<br/><input type="hidden" name="unsubscribereason" cols="%d" rows="%d" wrap="virtual"></textarea>',$c,$r).'

'.$finaltext.'

<p><input type=submit name="unsubscribe" value="'.$GLOBALS["strUnsubscribe"].'"></p>';

Notice that all we have done is removed the first line, and in the second line we have changed the textarea box to a hidden input box.

Hope this helpful to somebody.[/code]
jsherk
PL Geek

Re: How to remove Reason (Tell Us Why) from Unsubscribe page

Postby H2B2 » 8:08pm, Sun 09 Dec, 2007

jsherk wrote:I was searching the forums for any answer on how I could remove the Tell Us Why box from the unsubscribe page, since I just want everybody to be able to unsubscribe and I don't care about the reason.

Did the 'Unsubscribe jump-off' setting in config.php not meet your needs?
# if a user should immediately be unsubscribed, when using their personal URL, instead of
# the default way, which will ask them for a reason, set this to 1
define("UNSUBSCRIBE_JUMPOFF",0);
H2B2

Postby jsherk » 2:52am, Mon 10 Dec, 2007

I honestly don't ever remember seeing that option in the config file... and I have gone thru that file many times!!!

If jumpoff is set one, will it just immediately unsubscribe them, or will it still take them to the unsubscribe page where they enter their email address and hit the unsubscribe button?
jsherk
PL Geek

Postby H2B2 » 8:54am, Mon 10 Dec, 2007

Yes, it should immediately unsubscribe the user, provided he/she clicked on the personal unsubscribe link (url+uid) which is generated by phpList when using the [UNSUBSCRIBE] placeholder in your messages.

I believe they still would receive a final email confirming the unsubscription, i.e. the "Message users receive when they unsubscribe" defined on the configuration page.
H2B2

Postby jsherk » 4:46pm, Mon 10 Dec, 2007

I don't think the jumpoff will work the way I want it to then.

When they click the unsubscribe link in their email, I still want the unsubscribe page to appear, where they have to also click the unsubscribe button to confirm.

I guess this needs to go on the "wish list" as another option... I'll add it as a request.

Thanks
jsherk
PL Geek

Postby jsherk » 5:21pm, Mon 10 Dec, 2007

Here's another thread with a similar suggestion on how to do this:
http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?t=10345

And here is the thread in the Feature Request forum:
http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?t=13642
jsherk
PL Geek

Postby AppleJack » 10:07pm, Wed 01 Jul, 2009

Is anyone having a similar problem with v 2.10.10 as the that originally posted by jsherk?

In my installation of v 2.10.10, the 'Unsubscribe jump-off' setting in config.php doesn't seem to be working. I changed the config.php file so that the Unsubscribe jump-off setting is:
define("UNSUBSCRIBE_JUMPOFF",1);

I expected changing the setting to "1" would remove the reason why message ("grateful if you told us why") and the text area underneath the message. But it does neither. Furthermore, it does something unexpected: it inserts a red colored warning message "Please enter a valid email address" above the black colored instructional message of the same words "Please enter a valid email address" which is next to the textline entry. Is this normal behavior? or a bug?

Since, I my goal is to remove the "grateful if you told us why" message and textarea, I suppose I could try either the mod suggested above (by jsherk 8:38pm, Fri 07 Dec, 2007) or the mod suggested by Mike_R 7:19pm, Thu 14 Jun, 2007 in the thread http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?t=10345

... unless someone has another suggestion?
AppleJack
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 1:22am, Tue 07 Jul, 2009

See also this thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22563#p62154
H2B2

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks