[solved] Import Error: 'Cannot find column with email'

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

[solved] Import Error: 'Cannot find column with email'

Postby aylee » 10:18pm, Tue 22 Jan, 2008

I have a csv file and used the option:
import emails with different values for attributes

and got this error:
Error: Cannot find column with email, please make sure the column is called "email" and not eg e-mail

Then I used this option:
import emails with the same values for attributes

and got this error:
Error: Some characters that are not valid have been found. These might
be delimiters. Please check the file and select the right delimiter.

I don't know what to do anymore. Please help. Thanks!
aylee
phpList newbie

Same Problem

Postby webgyrl » 6:09am, Fri 01 Feb, 2008

Did you fix your import problem? I'm having the same problem.
I have a CSV list and I changed the header to read 'email', but I still get that same error:
Reading emails from file ... ..ok, 351 lines
Fatal Error: Cannot find column with email, please make sure the column is called "email" and not eg e-mail

Fixes Tried...
I tried adding in a directory called 'tmp' like the documentation suggests, but this did not help me.

Also in my CSV list, I had First Name, Last Name, Email... so I switched it to have the Email come first, but that didn't work either. I can't figure out what to do.
webgyrl
PL Nut

Postby Dragonrider » 10:22am, Fri 01 Feb, 2008

Just a thought, are you calling the field Email or email? There is a difference.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Field Name

Postby webgyrl » 7:23pm, Fri 01 Feb, 2008

Hi Dragonraider,

I actually tried both email and Email and neither worked for some very odd reason.

Any tips? I would love to show you the CSV, but I can't post it or link out to it. Let me know if there is an email address I can send it to you at if you are open to looking at it.

Very odd!

Thanks!
webgyrl
PL Nut

Postby jeffryf » 9:53pm, Thu 07 Feb, 2008

I've had a related problem. I'm populating text with 2 records. The first row is Email Name ZIP, with rows 2 and 3 the records. TAB separated, line feed delimited.

With two user attributes (Name and ZIP), I get the following messagae:
Warning: Record has more values than header indicated (3!=2)

When I click confirm..., the records are added.

When I inspect the records, nothing looks odd. Does this warning mean anything?

By the way, before I checked test as Active, clicking confirm... did nothing. Why isn't Active the default? I didn't see anything in the documentation about this.
jeffryf
phpLister

Postby collectedsounds » 8:27pm, Mon 18 Feb, 2008

I am also having this problem. After spending many hours on it I have realized that if I wanted to import ONLY the email addresses (without any other attributes) it works fine. But as soon as I add any other columns there it refuses and tells me I do not have a column called 'email' which I certainly do.

I have a spreadsheet that has several attributes all of which I would like imported.
I have tried, with no luck:
*hand entering the attributes before importing
*importing the file as a .csv, .txt and .xls
*making the attributes one word (firstname)
*Entering, comma, or tab or leaving blank, the delimited field.

I know there's a file size limit too, but my whole file is only 130k so that's not it either. I'm stumped! Anyone?
collectedsounds
phpLister

Postby collectedsounds » 9:15pm, Mon 18 Feb, 2008

I think I got it!!
Here's what I did:
Saved my spreadsheet file as a "tab delimited" text file.
Chose the first import option:
"import emails with different values for attributes."
Browsed to the file.
Did NOT check or type in anything else (used defaults, except I chose to 'make confirmed immediately')
and hit import.
It brought up a list of all the attributes that I was also importing, asking me what to do with each one (add it).

I got the big scary red table that another member mentioned but when I look at my list it has members in it. It left out a few (I had 1113 and it imported only 1106) but that's much better than it had been!

I hope this works for some of you because I see that many of us had this problem!
collectedsounds
phpLister

Postby marketinggallery » 5:07pm, Tue 26 Feb, 2008

This worked for me! 5,000 emails imported in about 20 seconds.

Thanks for the secret tip!
marketinggallery
phpList newbie

Worked for me too.

Postby tqsenkungu » 2:47am, Tue 04 Mar, 2008

Thanks for the tip. FYI, I selected the overwrite option in order to add things like date the list was imported and confirm all users and Send this user HTML emails and it still worked!

Cheers.
tqsenkungu
phpLister

Postby cbiweb » 2:14pm, Thu 05 Jun, 2008

Thank you, collectedsounds, your fix worked for me! I tried other methods but no luck. Good job! :)
cbiweb
PL Nut

Help importing data- error message

Postby Guest » 10:57am, Mon 04 Aug, 2008

I am very new to this so please excuse the questions if it is a silly one
Can someone please tell me what do. I imported emails same way as quoted below. the first time I did it.It worked fine but I need to take out some data so I redid it and it lists all the data but I got this message with the users email for each user.

Warning: Record has more values than header indicated (4!=3), this may cause trouble:
uses email

Thanks

collectedsounds wrote:I think I got it!!
Here's what I did:
Saved my spreadsheet file as a "tab delimited" text file.
Chose the first import option:
"import emails with different values for attributes."
Browsed to the file.
Did NOT check or type in anything else (used defaults, except I chose to 'make confirmed immediately')
and hit import.
It brought up a list of all the attributes that I was also importing, asking me what to do with each one (add it).

I got the big scary red table that another member mentioned but when I look at my list it has members in it. It left out a few (I had 1113 and it imported only 1106) but that's much better than it had been!

I hope this works for some of you because I see that many of us had this problem!

Re: [solved] Import Error: 'Cannot find column with email'

Postby dleigh » 6:44pm, Thu 09 Apr, 2009

For me, the problem was having a file in UTF8 format and phplist wanted ANSI. Once the file was in ANSI, all went smoothly (ignoring the stupid mysql RED error messages).
dleigh
phpLister

Postby kwcjr » 12:25am, Fri 15 May, 2009

I found the warning

Warning: Record has more values than header indicated (4!=3), this may cause trouble:
uses email

was caused by the field delimiter character existing inside my field data. In my case it was initially a comma delimited csv file and there were 30'ish out of 2000 or so that had the commas in them.

As far as I can tell, phplist does not provide for field encapsulation (e.g., double quotes before & after the data) to prevent delimiter characters from causing this issue.

I switched field delimiter characters and that solved my problem.
kwcjr
phpLister

Import Errors: Cant find email column & record has more val

Postby buddha » 3:21am, Tue 27 Oct, 2009

Have read the solved posts but still cannot get this to work:

1. I chose the first import option (value)
2. imported a csv file with heading "email" and also tried with firstname and lastname
3. typed in csv
4. asked for show warning and test output

Got Fatal Error:
Cannot find column with email

then I saved as tab delimited and saved
with default field delimiter

Got Import
attributes Firstname Lastname

I checked create a new one

Got
Warning: Record has more values than header indicated (3!=9), this may cause trouble: labk@soris.net
email -> labk@soris.net
New Attribute: Firstname -> Larry

Please advise; thanks
buddha
phpList newbie

Postby elizas » 1:21pm, Fri 23 Apr, 2010

If you have a CSV file from which you want to import the data into the database and the CSV file has a column which contains values separated by multiple commas, you cannot extract the data by using the Split() function. That is because of the fact that the number of values you get will be more than the number of columns present in the file. So by creating a OleDBConnection you can get the whole data from the CSV file into a datatable. The following snippet of code will give you the datatable if provided the path of the file name. You can also save the file on the server and use the file for extracting the data into a datatable. Finally, you can also import the data from the datatable .

http://www.mindfiresolutions.com/Importing-data-from-a-CSV-file-into-a-column-with-multiple-commas-447.php
elizas
phpList newbie

Next

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks