[solved] From address and bounces

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

[solved] From address and bounces

Postby Guest » 4:57am, Fri 14 Nov, 2008

We've been using phplist for a little while now and have just managed to get the bounce processing working.

And now the 'From' address for all messages comes up as the 'Bounce' address.

As I send messages on behalf of other people, I would like the 'From' email address to be different each time.

Is it possible for the 'From' (Reply) address and the 'Bounce' (Errors-To) address to be different?

Thanks

Postby Heritage » 3:39pm, Tue 18 Nov, 2008

Yes - lists/config/config.php

Line 69 $message_envelope =

If you un-comment line 69 and put in a different address your errors-to email will collect all the real bounces and errors or at least the majority. Make sure on line 82 through 84 that you put in the email info for the email account you are using for Line 69.

You will see some replies and very few bounces in your actual "From" address.

Hope this helps.
Heritage

Postby Guest » 2:07am, Thu 20 Nov, 2008

Thanks for that info, Heritage.

I have that all set up okay and the bounces are being processed to that mailbox. But when I send a message the email address I enter in the 'From line:' is being replaced by the bounce address set in the config file.

Is there something else I need to change?

Thanks

Postby Heritage » 3:05pm, Thu 20 Nov, 2008

Kate,

Actually it is not being replaced for your messages going out; however, there will be email servers rewriting messages back to you as if you sent then as the from of your "Errors-To:" address.

To double check do the following:

In your admin (lists/admin/?page=admin&id=1) you have an email address and this email address is the default email address.

Typically this puts the From email address within the configuration panel; though you can customize this.

You would first want to go to:

/lists/admin/?page=configure

Scroll down to:

:edit: From email address for system messages

Click on "edit" and change the from address here. Now all new "messages" that you draft by going to "send a message" will use this default from.

However, you may have existing messages.

In this case . . . on the "messages" that you have already made you should go in and change the email address in the from field(s).

Hope this helps.
Heritage

Postby Guest » 3:49am, Tue 25 Nov, 2008

Thanks Heritage.

I've set all of that up as you suggested but the messages are still coming through with the "Errors-To" address as the "From" address.

Must be being reset be the email server. :(

Thanks anyway for your help with this.

Postby Heritage » 1:42pm, Tue 25 Nov, 2008

No Problemo, your welcome.

If some are coming through with the errors-to in the from then it is other email servers.

If ALL are coming through with the errors-to in the from then it is more than likely you did not correctly configure something.

Other than that it could be emails left in the queue before you made the change or your email server doing this due to a miss configuration on your "send configuration" (IE wrong port or setting on mail going out.)

The only other thing is have a second eye look at your configuration. Only takes a few minutes to double check everything when you know what your looking at.
Heritage

Postby jjbgoode » 5:46am, Sat 13 Dec, 2008

I was having a similar problem and couldn't figure out what was going on. I checked all my configurations over and over again. All I wanted was the from line to be "no-reply AT domain DOT org."

I realized after a while that I had not set up a mailbox or mail forward for "no-reply". Once I did that, it worked. So it seems that you can't have an address in your From line that doesn't actually exist on your server (maybe?)
jjbgoode
phpLister

Postby Heritage » 8:33pm, Sat 13 Dec, 2008

To answer your question directly . . . you have line 69 within lists/config/config/config.php where you see:

# $message_envelope = 'listbounces@domain.com';

Change that to:

$message_envelope = 'listbounces@yourdomain.com';

(take out the "#" and insert your valid domain or working email email address for bounces)

Then when you create a message just put in what ever "From" email address you want for that message going out.

(Note: if you are using DKIM or SPF you will need an email address of your root domain or your DKIM set for the root domain of the From email in order to validate.)

This way all server related bounces go to the auto processing and you can have a unique reply address for responses going anywhere you want.

Second I just wanted to put something out there for all of us to understand...

A valid working "From" email address is actually required per US federal law(s).

Not that it is just a great idea, but it is required.

Just because you put "no-reply" or "noreply". . . it only implies that there is no reason to reply to the email or it is an unchecked (looked at) system email.

The "From" email address is like a postal return address. It is needed more with email since without it there is quite a bit of work to try and return the email. In the case of no actual email account . . . it "bounces" around till the server gives up.

Most people just hit the reply button out of habit and send off their request whether it be unsubscribe, questions, and/or anything else they would like to converse with you about.

You should also have the following email address set up when emailing:

abuse@ is one by default companies like AOL send email related issues to.
postmaster@ by far this is the default email address for email related messages.

noc@ is optional, but a good idea.

unsubscribe@ is typical and should be used within your footer and even the email header under the admin/class.phplistmailer.php around line 29:

$this->addCustomHeader("List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:unsubscribe@yourdomain.com>, <http://www dot yourdomain.com/lists/?p=unsubscribe>");

if your really a go getter you will add these two above the 'List-Unsubscribe":

$this->addCustomHeader("List-Help: <mailto:help@yourdomain.com>, <http://www dot yourdomain.com/lists/?p=preferences>");

$this->addCustomHeader("List-Subscribe: <mailto:subscribe@yourdomain.com>, <http://www.yourdomain.com/lists/?p=subscribe>");

You may say this is over the top modifications, but from a professional stand point most web based email system actually remove the spam complaint button/link and replace it with your unsubscribe, help, and subscribe as links or buttons. This allows for the proper interaction of the end user with you and your website.

Please remember the "Errors-To" is just an option that let's other email servers know to send "returned email" to this separate email box for processing. Very much like when you get a piece of mail from the post office stamped with the could not deliver message or attempts have been made.

It also allows you to have a From email address that you actually can sift through and just take care of various issues that are valid issues. Or send out emails and have the replies go to various other email addresses; yet, at the same time keep it simple with your bounces being done by PHPlist.

With that said, bear in mind some people scan emails so you could eventually get a little bit of spam in these accounts.

Hope this helps, rather than makes it more complicated.

As I always say. If it were easy . . . . then everyone would be doing it.
Heritage

Postby jjbgoode » 10:45pm, Sat 13 Dec, 2008

I was savvy to the necessity of having a physical address for you From address. What I didn't realize is that I hadn't set it up yet (which I thought I already had.) It created a similar problem to what Kate was having.

What I wasn't aware of was everything else you metnioned. That's awesome, and I really appreciate all of the suggestions. We are doing everything to try to keep our emails safe and legit so that we don't get blacklisted. Your suggestions will surely help to keep us compliant, and hopefully keep us from being shut out.

Thanks a ton!
jjbgoode
phpLister

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks