[how to] identify users without list and move them to a list

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

[how to] identify users without list and move them to a list

Postby azarober » 5:18pm, Tue 13 Jan, 2009

Hi!
I have 24 lists and 4000 or + users, but meanwhile the program says I have 4098, I am entering the file number 4147 or so... that's means that perhaps I forgot to assign group to somebody..

How to to discover where are the users without list ? I found how to delete them, but I want to recover them to the right list..

Thanks in advance..

Roberto
azarober
PL Nut

Finding orphaned addresses

Postby robi2106 » 2:10am, Wed 14 Jan, 2009

I have a ~3700 address install for 2 lists for a client. here is how I would do it.

STEP #1 - Export Your Full List
Export your full address list as csv. You should do this regularly any way.

Step #2 - Get the orphans
Pop that csv into a text editor to get the formatting right, then import copy / paste to OpenOffice or MS Excel. Sort by the lists column and find the empties.

Step #3 - Save the Orphans!
Copy / Paste those addresses in a separate flat text file for re-importing in a later step.

Step #4 - Purge the Orphans
go to "Manage Users" on the far right menu and choose the "reconcile users" option. Choose the "Delete all users who are not subscribed to any list" option.

Step #5 - Import the Orphans
Choose "Manage Users" on the far right menu and choose the "import users." Use the flat text file from Step #3 as your source email list and choose the list to subscribe them to.

That should do it for you.
robi2106
PL Geek

Re: How to indentify users without list ?

Postby H2B2 » 5:20am, Wed 14 Jan, 2009

azarober wrote:How to to discover where are the users without list ? I found how to delete them, but I want to recover them to the right list..

robi2106's method should work fine.

Here's another method you could use:
You will find some additional options towards the bottom end of the page:

* Move all users who are not subscribed to any list, to a list of your choice
ref: http://docs.phplist.com/ReconcileUsersInfo

This should work fine if you only have one list.

However, if you have several lists and want to select for each individual user to which list he should be subscribed to, you'll have to move the users to a separate new list first (make it inactive so it doesn't display on your subscribe page). Then select that new list and mark the list members you want to move to a specific active list.

Haven't tested it, but I trust this should work.
H2B2

nice

Postby robi2106 » 5:43am, Wed 14 Jan, 2009

I forgot about the move option. Thanks! I haven't ever had a need to find unsubscribed users because my bounce rules always delete or move them rather than just unsubscribe them.
robi2106
PL Geek

Postby azarober » 12:01pm, Wed 14 Jan, 2009

Hi all!
Thanks a lot for your work !
The first method is away my possibilities....

The second method:
worked fine by this moment !

Solved, Thanks a lot !

"... Export your full address list as csv. [b]You should do this regularly any way.[/b] ..."

Must I export the lists in order to back up? the daily back of the databases is not sufficient ?

Roberto
azarober
PL Nut

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks