How to periodically send the same message?

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

How to periodically send the same message?

Postby wohdin » 11:32am, Thu 10 May, 2012

[edit] whoops this was supposed to be in the tips section, my bad

From what I can gather, this is NOT the same thing as the repetition function. I need to be able to automate the process of rescheduling the SAME message, NOT a copy of the message. For instance, I have a custom (HTML) welcome message that I want to have rescheduled and processed at set intervals, sent to ONLY those in the list who have not recieved it yet. Is this doable?
wohdin
phpList newbie

Re: How to periodically send the same message? (READ)

Postby duncanc » 9:35pm, Thu 10 May, 2012

You want to periodically requeue that specific message, and then process the queue.

If you look at the messages page, you can see that you can requeue a message with the url http://xxx.com/lists/admin/?page=messages&resend=nnn where nnn is the id of the message.
You should be able to put this into a cron job, which you can then schedule to run regularly.
If you have php cgi then the command will be something like
Code: Select all
php /path/to/phplist/admin/index.php page=messages resend=nnn login=xxx password=yyy >resend.log
duncanc

Re: How to periodically send the same message?

Postby Blisk » 1:35pm, Mon 06 May, 2013

I wan't to do almost the same. For a 3 groups of people I need to send them the same email every year at the same month.
So I need to send to first group an email every June and ofr second group I need to send an email every August and for third group I need to send the same email every December. How to do that?
I have installed the latest version of phplist.
As I searched many people ask for that function, and still is not implemented is that intentionally not implemented or it is too complicated?
Blisk
phpLister

Postby duncanc » 8:30pm, Mon 06 May, 2013

The Repetition feature might do what you want. See http://docs.phplist.com/Repetition.html
duncanc

Postby Blisk » 7:45pm, Wed 08 May, 2013

Thank you for reply. Is there some example how to do it?
Blisk
phpLister

Postby thefly73 » 3:54pm, Thu 18 Jul, 2013

Hello everyone,
I got the same / similar problem.

I send a mail message for the first time, then, I go to messages > sent, modify it a little and requeue it, so that the same email can be sent again to the same list (not only to new subscribers but to all the users of that list).

I want that other coworkers will be able to edit and resend the same mail to the same list again, after some days or months.

I also set define("USE_REPETITION",1) in the config file.

But when I process the queue, the report says that :

Started
Sending in batches of 360 emails
Processing has started, 1 message(s) to process.
Please leave this window open. You have batch processing enabled, so it will reload several times to send the messages. Reports will be sent by email to [myemail here]
Processing message 12
Looking for users
Found them: 0 to process
Processed 0 out of 0 users
Hmmm, No users found to send to
It took 5 secs to send this message
Script stage: 3
Finished, Nothing to do
Finished, All done

Notice that the 1 message to process is the message to me, which is a report of the sending process, which it was not sent (because no mailing happened at all).

Currently it seems to me that the only way to send a message twice is to copy source code from the first message and create a new message (which is something I would not like, I need some very easy operation to allow my coworkers to operate very easily).

Hope I was clear, waiting for your kind feedback, thank you

Andrea
thefly73
phpList newbie

Postby duncanc » 9:54pm, Thu 18 Jul, 2013

Currently it seems to me that the only way to send a message twice is to copy source code from the first message and create a new message

That is what you need to do. phplist will not send the same message to someone who has already received it.
duncanc

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks