Placeholder [CONTENT]

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

Placeholder [CONTENT]

Postby icosensei » 8:29am, Fri 25 Jan, 2013

Hi all,
first of all I am new to phplist so I am a nOOb!
I created my template and placed the placeholder [CONTENT] before (and after, I tried both) the text of the message. But when I preview the message I see not only the text I wrote but also a very long text like "lorem ipsum" default text.
What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to "delete" the default [CONTENT] text?

This is what I see:

This is my example newsletter

Here is where i place the content placeholder:

I understand, said Socrates, and quite accept your account. But tell me,Zeno, do you not further think that there is an idea of likeness in itself,and another idea of unlikeness, which is the opposite of likeness, and thatin these two, you and I and all other things to which we apply the termmany, participate--things which participate in likeness become in thatdegree and manner like; and so far as they participate in unlikeness becomein that degree unlike, or both like and unlike in the degree in which theyparticipate in both? And may not all things partake of both opposites, andbe both like and unlike, by reason of this participation?--Where is thewonder? Now if a person could prove the absolute like to become unlike, orthe absolute unlike to become like, that, in my opinion, would indeed be awonder; but there is nothing extraordinary, Zeno, in showing that thethings which only partake of likeness and unlikeness experience both. Nor,again, if a person were to show that all is one by partaking of one, and atthe same time many by partaking of many, would that be very astonishing.But if he were to show me that the absolute one was many, or the absolutemany one, I should be truly amazed. And so of all the rest: I should besurprised to hear that the natures or ideas themselves had these oppositequalities; but not if a person wanted to prove of me that I was many andalso one. When he wanted to show that I was many he would say that I havea right and a left side, and a front and a back, and an upper and a lowerhalf, for I cannot deny that I partake of multitude; when, on the otherhand, he wants to prove that I am one, he will say, that we who are hereassembled are seven, and that I am one and partake of the one. In bothinstances he proves his case. So again, if a person shows that such thingsas wood, stones, and the like, being many are also one, we admit that heshows the coexistence of the one and many, but he does not show that themany are one or the one many; he is uttering not a paradox but a truism.If however, as I just now suggested, some one were to abstract simplenotions of like, unlike, one, many, rest, motion, and similar ideas, andthen to show that these admit of admixture and separation in themselves, Ishould be very much astonished. This part of the argument appears to betreated by you, Zeno, in a very spirited manner; but, as I was saying, Ishould be far more amazed if any one found in the ideas themselves whichare apprehended by reason, the same puzzle and entanglement which you haveshown to exist in visible objects.While Socrates was speaking, Pythodorus thought that Parmenides and Zenowere not altogether pleased at the successive steps of the argument; butstill they gave the closest attention, and often looked at one another, andsmiled as if in admiration of him. When he had finished, Parmenidesexpressed their feelings in the following words:--Socrates, he said, I admire the bent of your mind towards philosophy; tellme now, was this your own distinction between ideas in themselves and thethings which partake of them? and do you think that there is an idea oflikeness apart from the likeness which we possess, and of the one and many,and of the other things which Zeno mentioned?I think that there are such ideas, said Socrates.Parmenides proceeded: And would you also make absolute ideas of the justand the beautiful and the good, and of all that class?Yes, he said, I should.And would you make an idea of man apart from us and from all other humancreatures, or of fire and water?I am often undecided, Parmenides, as to whether I ought to include them ornot.And would you feel equally undecided, Socrates, about things of which themention may provoke a smile?--I mean such things as hair, mud, dirt, oranything else which is vile and paltry; would you suppose that each ofthese has an idea distinct from the actual objects with which we come intocontact, or not?Certainly not, said Socrates; visible things like these are such as theyappear to us, and I am afraid that there would be an absurdity in assumingany idea of them, although I sometimes get disturbed, and begin to thinkthat there is nothing without an idea; but then again, when I have taken upthis position, I run away, because I am afraid that I may fall into abottomless pit of nonsense, and perish; and so I return to the ideas ofwhich I was just now speaking, and occupy myself with them.Yes, Socrates, said Parmenides; that is because you are still young; thetime will come, if I am not mistaken, when philosophy will have a firmergrasp of you, and then you will not despise even the meanest things; atyour age, you are too much disposed to regard the opinions of men. But Ishould like to know whether you mean that there are certain ideas of whichall other things partake, and from which they derive their names; thatsimilars, for example, become similar, because they partake of similarity;and great things become great, because they partake of greatness; and thatjust and beautiful things become just and beautiful, because they partakeof justice and beauty?Yes, certainly, said Socrates that is my meaning.

End
icosensei
phpList newbie

Re: Placeholder [CONTENT]

Postby Dragonrider » 8:54am, Fri 25 Jan, 2013

Your template is meant for the "stuff" that you want to use in every Newsletter, be it text or images.
For one of mine (for example) it has a logo at the top, a couple of blank lines, the [CONTENT] tag, a couple more3 blank lines and a standard thanks for being a subscriber message.

The CONTENT itself is the bit that changes each time a Newsletter is sent and this is created within the Send a Message section. You then choose the template to use and the list to send to.

Hope that helps?
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Re: Placeholder [CONTENT]

Postby icosensei » 2:25pm, Sat 26 Jan, 2013

everything clear now!
Thanks a lot
icosensei
phpList newbie

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks