[how to] put a subscribe form on one of my website pages

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

Custom Subscribe Form w/ Subscribe/Unsubscribe Radio Buttons

Postby fbglima » 4:40pm, Mon 16 Jul, 2007

I'd like to integrate my mailing list subscription into my pages as a form but would like there to be 2 radio buttons (one for subscribe, one for unsubscribe) so that users can add or remove themselves from my list using only one textfield. Is that possible?
fbglima
phpLister

tagged as suspicious

Postby zenpawn » 2:39am, Fri 27 Jul, 2007

After adding this form to my page, Microsoft now flags it as a "suspicious website." Is there a way to make the form appear less nefarious? :lol:
zenpawn
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 2:52am, Fri 27 Jul, 2007

Hmm, first time this has been reported as far as I know. With "Microsoft" I assume you are referring to Internet Explorer 7 ? Or other Microsoft software?
H2B2

Postby zenpawn » 2:56am, Fri 27 Jul, 2007

Sorry. Yes, IE 7.
zenpawn
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 3:19am, Fri 27 Jul, 2007

I can't check this now, as I don't have IE7 available at my present location. Perhaps someone else with IE7 access can try to confirm this issue.

In the mean time I checked the microsoft site and I guess this MS FAQ might apply, would you agree?
Q. What does it mean when a Web site is flagged yellow and "suspicious"?
A. A suspicious Web site has some of the typical characteristics of phishing Web sites, but it is not on the list of reported phishing Web sites. The Web site might be legitimate, but you should be cautious about entering any personal or financial information unless you are certain that the site is trustworthy.
Ref: https://phishingfilter.microsoft.com/faq.aspx

If you can confirm that it is IE's fishing filter that flags your page as suspicious, the next question would be why exactly. Not sure if we can get to the bottom of MS's flagging criteria, but it might be helpful if you could provide an url to your 'suspicious' page.

BTW, I guess these FAQs might be relevant too:
Q. One of the sites I visit is being flagged by Phishing Filter, but it's not a phishing Web site. What can I do?
A. From the warning, you can choose to report this site as a safe site. Choose I don’t think this is a phishing Website. Follow the instructions on the feedback site to complete this process.
Q. If I am a Web site owner, how do I correct a warning or a block on my legitimate site?
A. You can immediately submit a request for a correction. Microsoft Phishing Filter has a built-in, Web-based feedback system in place to help customers and Web site owners report any potential false warnings or blocks as quickly as possible. In Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Live Toolbar, from a yellow warning, click Report this site as safe or from a red warning, click Report that this is not a phishing website. This will take you to a feedback page where you can indicate you are a site owner or representative. Follow the instructions and provide the information on this site to submit a site for review.
Once a dispute is submitted, a team of graders inspects the site in question. All disputes should be submitted through the Web site reporting process to ensure the quickest resolution.
Ref: https://phishingfilter.microsoft.com/faq.aspx
H2B2

Postby zenpawn » 4:59am, Fri 27 Jul, 2007

I submitted the site owner request through Microsoft to get them to stop the silliness. All I did was add that innocent Javascript form per the beginning of this thread.
zenpawn
phpLister

brings an error up.... - Method Not Allowed

Postby eddiehowell » 8:12am, Sat 28 Jul, 2007

Hi,

Please help - bit stuck here!

I create subscription page via PHPList, Viewed it, copied the source code into Dreamweaver. I'm now presuming that I need copy it into a new HTML document, upload the doc, and use that as the form? (called eddie2.html).

I browse to that page, enter details, and get the following error:

Method Not Allowed
The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /eddie2.h

Any idea on how to redidrect it properly?

Thanks
Eddie
eddiehowell
phpLister

Postby Mike_R » 9:27am, Sat 28 Jul, 2007

You need to send your variables back to /lists/index.php, rather than to your eddie2.htm file (which I can't find on your site to check over anyway). The line that will currently read

Code: Select all
<form method=post name="subscribeform">

should read

<form method=post name="subscribeform" action="/lists/index.php">

(assuming your phpList install is in www.yourdomain.com/lists/)

PS if you're posting code in reply, put a check in "Disable HTML in this post" box - it makes things easier. That or give a link to the page you're trying to make work.
Mike_R
PL Geek

default to html not respected with inline form

Postby zenpawn » 9:04pm, Wed 01 Aug, 2007

Although I have the subscriber page set to use HTML by default (radio button), using the inline form in this thread, it is getting set to zero.
zenpawn
phpLister

Postby zenpawn » 3:32pm, Thu 02 Aug, 2007

To make the problem a little more clear: I would send the attribute preset if need be, if only it would tell me what attribute number/name it is. Anyone know?
zenpawn
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 4:26pm, Thu 02 Aug, 2007

Seems related to this post in this same thread: http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=24024#24024
H2B2

Postby zenpawn » 4:37pm, Thu 02 Aug, 2007

Indeed! Thanks. I reckon this thread has gotten a little unwieldy. ;)

Is there a way to check all users in the admin panel and force HTML upon them all? And would doing so end up sending them all an email notifying them of a change? (ugh)
zenpawn
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 4:43pm, Thu 02 Aug, 2007

Yes, you can mark all users to receive html mails on the 'reconcile users' page. This will *not* trigger an email mentioning changes made in their preferences.
Ref: http://docs.phplist.com/ReconcileUsersInfo
H2B2

Sorry, I know I suck!

Postby peter_m » 9:57pm, Thu 09 Aug, 2007

<!-- newsletter subscribe below here -->
      <script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
var fieldstocheck = new Array();
fieldnames = new Array();
function checkform() {
for (i=0;i<fieldstocheck.length;i++) {
if (eval("document.subscribeform.elements['"+fieldstocheck[i]+"'].value") == "") {
alert("Please enter your "+fieldnames[i]);
eval("document.subscribeform.elements['"+fieldstocheck[i]+"'].focus()");
return false;
}
}
return true;
}
function addFieldToCheck(value,name) {
fieldstocheck[fieldstocheck.length] = value;
fieldnames[fieldnames.length] = name;
}
      </script>
      <form method="post"
 action="h t t p : / / w w w dot cmoi-collections dot com/liste/?p=subscribe"
 name="subscribeform">Email:<input name="email"
 value="" type="text" /><br />
        <script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">addFieldToCheck("email","Email Address");</script>
Name: <input name="attribute2" value="" type="text" />
        <script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">addFieldToCheck("attribute2","Name");</script><input
 name="list[1]" value="signup" type="hidden" /><input
 name="subscribe" value="Subscribe"
 onclick="return checkform();" type="submit" /></form>
<!-- newsletter subscribe ends here -->

When I click the submit button, nothing happens and the list doesn't get a new e-mail added. I would like it to work (obviously) but also a pop-up window to confirm the e-mail being added without being re-directed to a new web page.

The actual page is here: tripple w "dot" cmoi-collections "dot" com/new/alerte.html

If I could have it, it should look like this: tripple w "dot" cmoi-collections "dot" com/new/ideal.html

Is there a way to allow an e-mail to be added without having the user send a confirmation e-mail/repply?

I know I suck, thanks for any help!
peter_m
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 11:19pm, Thu 09 Aug, 2007

I think you have missed a number of steps when trying to customize your form. I suggest you take a look at the
method described in http://docs.phplist.com/CustomSubscribeForm and follow all the steps mentioned there.
H2B2

PreviousNext

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks