html email template - need to learn how to insert [CONTENT]

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

html email template - need to learn how to insert [CONTENT]

Postby Dick Griffin » 9:04pm, Mon 15 Jan, 2007

I have an html newsletter template, and when I try to save it, it tells me it needs to have a placeholder [CONTENT] somewhere in it.

When I add the '[CONTENT]' into my html script, it saves OK, but the message displays the text in the body of my message.

I'm eager to set up a template, that sends the default info, and lets me drop the text inside it.

Any suggestions? Or code sample that would solve my problem?

Thanks in advance

Dick
Dick Griffin
phpLister

Postby Hernol » 2:09pm, Tue 16 Jan, 2007

The text is for you to see how 'some text' will look. The content will be replaced with what you type in the 'message' text area when you send a message, so dont worry, just leave the content placeholder there and send messages.
Hernol
Admin

Postby rcarnesiii » 7:13pm, Fri 19 Jan, 2007

Here's a sample template I have. May be kind of sloppy to some, but it does the job.

Code: Select all
<!--CTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//E-->
<meta>
<div>
<table>
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <td>
            <div><font>Atlantis Golf Association Announcement </font></div>
            </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td>&nbsp;</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td>
            <p>[CONTENT]</p>
            </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td>
            <div><font>Click <a>here</a> to stop receiving emails from us</font></div>
            </td>
        </tr>
    </tbody>
</table>
</div>
rcarnesiii
PL Nut

Postby trevors » 3:13am, Wed 07 Mar, 2007

That sample was a big help.

I have another question: Do you typically keep the unsubscribe/preferences/forward links as part of the templs (as in your example)? If so, I assume you have to delete what's in the lower edit box on the compsoe a message screen?

My experience is that the information in that edit box gets sent even when I'm using a template.
trevors
PL Nut

Postby H2B2 » 3:39am, Wed 07 Mar, 2007

trevors wrote:My experience is that the information in that edit box gets sent even when I'm using a template.
If you leave the box empty, it will be replaced by the default contents. I usually place an unobtrusive character in that box, like a period. This doesn't get replaced. There should be a better solution, but I didn't feel the need to research that.
H2B2

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks