Receiving corrupt PDF attachments

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

Receiving corrupt PDF attachments

Postby nephilim » 12:38pm, Mon 21 May, 2007

Hi everyone,

I recently installed phplist and everything seemed to work fine until now:
I just created a new message and to added a pdf file with the "Add (Save)" function. Receiving the sent test e-mail I was quite shocked to notice that the pdf file is completely changed. I cannot open it and a direct file comparison showed that round about 80% of the content have changened, even more the file itself is 252 byte smaller. :? :?
The files will all be uploaded to the webservers repository (see config below). The uploaded file and the original one are completely the same in ways of MD5 and content.
I only receive this problem with pdf files. Sending pictures or text files is of no noticeable problem.

I have to send a newsletter that is due by next friday PLEASE help me on this. :cry:

Some configuration:

Code: Select all
define("ALLOW_ATTACHMENTS",1);

define("NUMATTACHMENTS",1);

define("FILESYSTEM_ATTACHMENTS",0);

define("MIMETYPES_FILE","/etc/mime.types");

define("DEFAULT_MIMETYPE","application/octet-stream");

$attachment_repository = '/is/htdocs/MYCORRECTPATH/mailings';

I tried changing the default mime type to "application/pdf", but that made no difference.

Nephilim
nephilim
phpLister

Postby tripper54 » 12:17am, Mon 28 May, 2007

I have a similar problem. Sending out a ~300kb PDF to 1,700 recipients, some users are reporting that their PDF attachment is corrupt, and will not open. Comparing a corrupt one with a good one, I find that it is about 300bytes smaller. I'm not sure what percentage of users have this problem. It's not all of them, though.

Does anyone have any ideas on this one?
Last edited by tripper54 on 1:23am, Mon 04 Jun, 2007, edited 1 time in total.
tripper54
PL Nut

Postby tobiwan » 10:36am, Fri 01 Jun, 2007

We have the same problem as tripper54.
We get a byte-difference with 274 bytes.

The problem occurs when we receive the mails via our exchange-server; if we use an outsite imap-account, everything is fine.

ANY IDEAS ?

Best regards
Tobi
tobiwan
phpLister

Postby tripper54 » 1:38am, Mon 04 Jun, 2007

I'm still having this problem. Here are some thoughts:

* My recipients only reported this problem after I switched these mailouts across from MailMan, so I guess this means that they were receiving the PDF Ok on the old system.

* Thinking this might have something to do with the amount of data to process, I tried adding a 4 second delay between processing messages. This hasn't fixed the problem, although for all I know there may be less users with broken attachements now.

* I have been looking up email addresses in my qmail logs as recipients have been reporting this problem. At present there is no bleedingly obvious distribution of errors (like all at the end of the queue, all together).

I'm not sure of what mail server platform the problem users are using - unfortunately most end users don't know this, and I have never had much luck with "could you put me in touch with your IT people" emails.

I would love to get to the bottom of this - please post if you have any ideas/theories/tests i could try.
tripper54
PL Nut

Postby H2B2 » 2:07am, Mon 04 Jun, 2007

I guess it might be useful to give some feedback on this issue to the development team: http://mantis.phplist.com

TIA!
H2B2

Postby tripper54 » 2:35am, Mon 04 Jun, 2007

Good call. I am waiting to hear back from some recipients, with a bit more information that will perhaps help identify the problem. I'll file a mantis report when I hear back from them.
tripper54
PL Nut

Postby tripper54 » 4:31am, Mon 04 Jun, 2007

Update: It appears that all recipients who are having problems are on an MS Exchange server... consistant with Tobiwan's report above.
tripper54
PL Nut

Postby tobiwan » 4:55am, Mon 04 Jun, 2007

hello tripper54,

last newsletter was send on mai 15th, everything was fine. so now i will check if an win- or exchange-update caused these problems.

many greetings
tobi
tobiwan
phpLister

Postby tripper54 » 7:07am, Mon 04 Jun, 2007

I notice when I send an email with a PDF attachment using Thunderbird, it marks the PDF with

Content-Disposition: inline;

But the emails coming from phplist use

Content-Disposition: attachment;

Could this possibly have anything to do with the problem?

I'm kind of clutching at straws here, I know...
tripper54
PL Nut

Postby nephilim » 7:10pm, Tue 05 Jun, 2007

well its exchange server for us aswell. but our it team did not apply any patches during the time it changed from working to non working.
i am completely hope/helpless right now and absolutely out of ideas
nephilim
phpLister

Postby tobiwan » 4:10pm, Wed 06 Jun, 2007

I am completely confused:

we send out another newsletter and i received it with no attachment-problems.
but this time i checked my mails via imap an on another computer. probably NOT an exchange-problem !?!?

:::confuded::: Tobi
tobiwan
phpLister

Postby tripper54 » 10:29pm, Wed 06 Jun, 2007

Tobiwan:

Ok, so you get the pdf ok if you connect to your Exchange server from a different computer via IMAP, but it is still corrupted if you connect from within your network.

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Exchange Server. Am I correct in saying there is a proprietary way to connect to them with Outlook, like a MAPI connection or something? So, I take it the attachment is only corrupt if you connect this way?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

There is something strange going on here...
tripper54
PL Nut

Postby tobiwan » 12:23pm, Thu 07 Jun, 2007

hello tripper54,

>Am I correct in saying there is a proprietary way to connect to them with Outlook, like a MAPI connection or something? So, I take it the attachment is only corrupt if you connect this way?

YES. I checked it twice!

Seems to be a MAPI-problem. (I don´t know if OWA uses MAPI, but it does not work with OWA) :-(
But how to correkt that ???

Tobi
tobiwan
phpLister

Postby nephilim » 1:34pm, Thu 07 Jun, 2007

This is what I can add:

POP3-Connector -> Trend Micro -> Exchange Server -> CORRUPTED PDF-File

Web-Clients like gmail, hotmail, a couple of local free-mail providers and at three different university web-clients (all running unix/linux systems none of them using microsoft software) -> PERFECT PDF-File

Direct connection to the Mailbox via POP3 and IMAP using either Thunderbird, Outlook Express or Outlook, with or without virus protection from Symantec, Trend Micro or Kaspersky -> PERFECT PDF-File

What we are unable / unwilling to try is:
- to let Exchange Server receive our E-Mails directly
- shutdown our server-sided Trend Micro virus protection

Next thing will be to do a comparison of the E-Mail's source codes sent to the webmailers and those sent to the exchange server. I guess it will show significant differences. Hadn't had the time yet.
nephilim
phpLister

Postby tripper54 » 2:02am, Mon 25 Jun, 2007

Hello,

I'm still getting a lot of heat over this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas at all about what might be causing this? I really don't want to have to go back to MailMan to send out this pdf.
tripper54
PL Nut

Next

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks