[add-on] Archive Messages

3rd party code for phpList

Re: [add-on] Archive Messages

Postby ITCons » 8:17am, Mon 27 Sep, 2010

jgkiefer wrote:
ITCons wrote:I wrote another version of the mailinglist archive. Two things are different, though:

1. Archive is accessed via a subfolder of the regular app root, eg. archive/index.php

2. Archived messages can be translated with the google translator

The second objective being the more important one in creating the archive, I attach the code to this post. In hope someone can profit from it.

I am a complete newbie to PhPList and this worked right away!
Is there a way to set it so it just shows one list and not all of them?

>> Just set the variable listID to a fix number at the top of the script. This shows all messages of just one list. Or call it with the corresponding url, like: http://www.ascsoftware.ch/mailer/archiv ... p?listID=4

Cheers
Goldrian
ITCons
phpList newbie

Postby jamehthebunneh » 6:34am, Wed 01 Dec, 2010

Many thanks for this code; it's quite useful and works well.

Buuut, has anyone successfully got it working when they use the "PBTS extra content" plugin? I send all my messages that way, and it works wonderfully, but when you pull up any messages with this archive.php script, it shows all the PBTS placeholders instead of the content specified for each block.

Example: message with a block reading
Code: Select all
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
works fine in email, but in archive.php shows up as
Code: Select all
[PBTS_XTRA name="introtext" type="textarea" displayname="Introduction or Overview paragraph" required="yes" size="60" rows="6" cols="45" tabindex="1" paragraph="always" description="Provide a brief overview, introduction, and/or summary of what this issue will be covering." style=""]

Is there anything I could change in the PHP to get this to work, or are these two hacks/plugins mutually exclusive?

Thanks!

~James
jamehthebunneh
phpList newbie

Postby timtak » 12:25am, Mon 08 Aug, 2011

Thank you very much for this add on.

It would be great if Archiving were part of the main code. I think that my users are going to demand archiving - it seems to be something that folks expect from a list - and it is scary that the archiving is present only as a add-on which may not keep up with the base code.
timtak
PL Nut

Postby timtak » 5:59am, Tue 16 Aug, 2011

It seems that the admin at least can view messages that have been previously sent, and that in other words, phplist does have an archive but that this archive is only vieawable by the administrator and that this add-in allows non-administrators, i.e. rank-and-file list subscribers to view past messages too.

Would I be correct/incorrect in this understanding?

Tim
timtak
PL Nut

Postby WilliamV » 8:18am, Mon 23 Jan, 2012

Is this plugin further maintained?

Are there any plans for general integration in the phplist-framework ?

Thank you.
WilliamV
phpList newbie

Postby bigRoN18 » 4:00am, Wed 28 Mar, 2012

I am reading through all the previous comments on this thread and trying to figure out the latest, most stable version of this. I see amendments and tweaks, but after a while, it is all becoming a blur to me. I use PHP List to send out missionary stories for my father. As people are finding out about our list and subscribing, many are interested in reading stories from before they subscribed. I'd like to make it easy for people to read through these old stories... probably via a link on the subscription page, allowing them to review old stories before subscribing... just to make sure it is the type of thing they'd like to see in their email boxes.

I know that I have gotten newsletters and advertisements to my email that provide a link to go to a webpage if the email is not formatted correctly, it would seem like such a feature could be added as well.
bigRoN18
PL Nut

Postby temmokan » 2:03am, Sat 16 Jun, 2012

The same. Is there a link to the latest add-on version?

I suppose archiving feature is one of obvious ones - the archives might be of use to new and existing subscribers. Perhaps the above functionality should become a core one?
temmokan
phpLister

Postby AlanGeorge » 10:22pm, Sat 23 Feb, 2013

I've been messing around with ITCONS archive hack, removed some of the bits that I did not require (e.g. language conversion) for my site and added in a few more e.g. two columns for displaying Lists and Newsletters, convert or remove from view [PLACEHOLDERS] and display external HTML newsletters generated by using [URL:http://linkto.html] and then wrapped it all up so that it appeared to be another page on my site.
For anyone that is interested this hack can be viewed or downloaded from the following address as with my other updates....

http://www.alangeorge-photography.com/listCode_006.php

Regards

Alan
AlanGeorge
PL Geek

Postby AlanGeorge » 12:42pm, Sun 24 Mar, 2013

Just when you thought it was safe to venture out and dig your car out of a snowdrift.... I've updated the above v1 http://www.alangeorge-photography.com/listCode_006.php
to include Pagination both when it displays the list of Newsletters within a List and when it displays the actual Newsletter when it allows you to page between the other Newsletters from the sub-list.
v2 is not quite ready for release but if you would like to see it in action then click on the following link.. http://www.alangeorge-photography.com/listCode_010.php
Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.... there are two links from lC_010
1. to what will be the release version for download
2. As it will appear once embedded into my website

The "Previous, Next, This List, All Lists" text for the pagination buttons can be defined as you wish....

have a look and let me know what you think....

regards

Alan
AlanGeorge
PL Geek

Postby miks87 » 6:57am, Wed 11 Sep, 2013

Hi there,
Is this add-on supported on phplist v3? Cause I had it on v2.x and it was working fine but now it's not.
Thanks
miks87
phpLister

Postby AlanGeorge » 7:08am, Wed 11 Sep, 2013

Hi

You must have missed the announcement, I updated the News Archive to v3 some weeks ago along with additional enhancements to the v2 version.

Also demos for paginated versions, v2 probably demonstrates the pagination better as there are more lists and newsletters (templates), both are working just need to tidy the code.

Link for the module and others stuff can be found at....

http://www.alangeorge-photography.com/listCode_3x.php

Let me know how you get on

Regards

Alan
AlanGeorge
PL Geek

Postby lwc » 11:48am, Tue 08 Oct, 2013

There's supposed to be an unofficial official phpList 2.x version in http://docs.phplist.com/NewsletterArchive.html, which all of you seem to simply ignore.

Alan, did you base your version on it?

Also, why is pagination such a controversial matter that two versions are needed? Can't it be just a simple on/off option? Do most of you use pagination or not?
lwc
PL Nut

Postby AlanGeorge » 12:52pm, Tue 08 Oct, 2013

Sorry LWC my work has not made it to the Unofficial Official List and is only written to satisfy a requirement that I have on my website, though I have made it available for others to freely use and modify as they require.

No the module is based on the original work of Adrian Oliver Schmidt which I always acknowledge on my website and within the NewsArchive module. I looked at the one you mention but found that Adrian's best suited my needs at the time. The one you highlighted only worked up to v2.10.10....

My sites version has since been further enhanced to include a paginated page within an already paginated page, again using Adrian's original as the base template though much modified. Which I am sure you may have noticed when you trawled your way through my website.

The switch option sounds interesting and something I may look at in the future along with the Sequential Auto Responder and the use of Custom PlaceHolders [FIRSTNAME] etc. in the Subscriber Admin Messages that I am currently working on and is working on my site.

Anyway have fun hacking the Unofficial Official version to get it working with v3.

Regards

Alan
AlanGeorge
PL Geek

Postby lwc » 5:13pm, Tue 08 Oct, 2013

Who knows if it's worth the time if you already have a working version?

You can take a look at the credits and see my additions were:
  1. Added multilingual support
  2. Making sure not to use invalid templates
  3. nl2br only used for plaintext messages
  4. Individual page titles when viewing specific items
  5. Attachment support (even more so, the file sizes are displayed in human readable form)!
  6. layoutID is actually used!
  7. layoutID defaults to "none" and is taken automatically from each message's setting
  8. Added Content-Type header (taken from the active language file)
  9. List descriptions go through stripslashes
What's Sequential Auto Responder? How can you handle Custom PlaceHolders like [FIRSTNAME] for unidentified users?
lwc
PL Nut

Postby lwc » 10:49pm, Mon 14 Oct, 2013

Regarding my latter question, Alan's add-on forces one to supply a real user ID. I don't like this approach because I see no reason an anonymous user would be treated with "Hello Joe" when their name isn't Joe. I modified it to keep [FIRST NAME] as such, etc.

Anyway, the old version stopped working in v3. I decided I'd be better off moving to Alan's version.

Sadly, my tests proved he didn't implement most of my old features because, like he wrote, he didn't even know about the unofficial official version.

I'm thus happy to announce I've re-added my old features to Alan's version! Attachments, individual page titles, etc. I've even added support a footer when a footer is either included in the template or not manually included at all. I've also started to replace (no pun intended) obsolete usage of ereg (which will render the add-on obsolete in PHP 5.5+).

Is anyone interested? If so, I don't know where to put it this time to make future developers not ignore it.
Can't we learn from the past and work on it in our own shared tracker?
Alan doesn't currently answer, but I don't want to fork his work and cause both of us (or at least myself) to re-add each other's features endlessly.
lwc
PL Nut

PreviousNext

Return to Contributions: Plug-ins, Add-ons, Mods