view message as html link with pbts_xtra

3rd party code for phpList

view message as html link with pbts_xtra

Postby okker » 4:21pm, Fri 31 Oct, 2008

Hi everyone, I needed a way to provide a link to the online version of a newsletter. Not an archive of any kind, just a link that shows a perfect html version.
Also, it needs to be VERY simple for my clients to use.

I checked several mods but they just didn't do what I wanted so I came up with this solution:

note: you will need to have installed pbtx_xtra http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?t=4059 for this to work. If you have any questions about pbts please refer to the pbts topic.

Now. In your template, hardcode a link to view the message in html like this:

Code: Select all
<a href="http://yourownserver/admin/?page=pbts_msg&pi=pbts_xtra&omitall=yes&tab=embed&id=[PBTS_XTRA name="viewlink" paragraph="never"]" target="_blank">click here</a>

Create a new message with your template as you would normally do. When you edit your message in pbts, you will see a form field for the viewlink. You need to enter a numeric code here. To find this code all you need to do is place your mouse over one of the tabs. Your browser window status bar will show a url with a ID number at the end. This is the number you need.

So, enter the number in the viewlink formfield and save and preview your message. If you now click your link your email message will open in a new browser window.

Simple!

Hope this will help certain people out.
okker
phpLister

Postby kev@num » 4:04pm, Wed 19 Nov, 2008

oO i love this solution, is there a way of getting around the need to be logged into the admin section do you think?
kev@num
phpLister

Postby okker » 8:31am, Tue 13 Jan, 2009

kev@num wrote:oO i love this solution, is there a way of getting around the need to be logged into the admin section do you think?

Hi, I'm not sure about that... I don't think getting around a login has anything to do with pbts... you could try a search or start a new topic if you want your problem solved.
okker
phpLister

Postby kev@num » 11:19am, Tue 13 Jan, 2009

sorry i think i got the wrong end of the stick, i thought this was so that people that recieve the email could view an online version (incase they had compatibility issues) rather than just for logged inn admins to look at..
kev@num
phpLister

Postby Guest » 12:21pm, Tue 20 Jan, 2009

It works great except:

1. It didn't process other tags e.g. [FOOTER] on the online version of the mail, on email is fine.
2. It requires login to view the page. Is it the prpose of this mod?

Any advise?

Re:

Postby mrmckoy » 9:40am, Sat 11 Sep, 2010

Guest wrote:It works great except:

1. It didn't process other tags e.g. [FOOTER] on the online version of the mail, on email is fine.
2. It requires login to view the page. Is it the prpose of this mod?

Any advise?

Hey what good is th emod if folks gotta be logged in to view it? lol... we want search engines to index that.
mrmckoy
PL Master

Return to Contributions: Plug-ins, Add-ons, Mods