[mod] View HTML Email in Browser

3rd party code for phpList

Re: [mod] View HTML Email in Browser

Postby xannonite » 6:20pm, Sun 09 May, 2010

popovici wrote:Hello,
I've just installed the mod in PHPList 2.11.3

I've only tested it with 2.10.9 and later. 2.11.3 is quite old according to the time stamp (2007-02-28), and it's a development release. I recommend using 2.10.12, which is the latest stable release.
xannonite
PL Nut

Postby popovici » 4:52am, Wed 12 May, 2010

Thanks xannonite, I'm not sure if the 2.10.112 won't conflict with the db structure in 2.11.3.. which is why I'm a bit afraid to go back to the 2.10* version.
popovici
PL Nut

Postby mypins » 5:13pm, Thu 13 May, 2010

Well, after looking for a simple solution to viewing my emails in a browser I actually installed this mod and it works perfectly. Much easier than I had imagined. Having the .sql file for the new db table was what saved me. Thanks again for a great and valuable mod. Michael
mypins
phpList newbie

Postby bwhite757 » 7:07pm, Fri 11 Jun, 2010

Ok, I'm having a problem now..

I have had this mod working on my phplist for quite some time. A couple of weeks ago I finally upgraded my phplist from from 2.10.8 to 2.10.12 using Fantastico through cPanel. I was aware that I was going to have to go back and reinstall the mod.

I have gone through and reinstalled it 3 times now to make sure I didn't make a mistake, but I'm still having a problem.

The email sends out fine, I get the Message URL to show up fine in the email, however when I click on it, it brings up a blank page. Checking MySQL through phpMyAdmin, shows that it appears that no data is being stored onto the messageview table. ??

I'm out of ideas, I'm not getting any error messages. Just nothing? Any idea of what I can try to do?
Last edited by bwhite757 on 9:35pm, Fri 11 Jun, 2010, edited 1 time in total.
bwhite757
phpLister

Postby xannonite » 7:28pm, Fri 11 Jun, 2010

@bwhite757:
Unfortunately I cannot view the files using the links you provided since your server is processing them and sending the generated HTML in return (which in this case is nothing at all.) `Save Link As` generates a 0-byte file. This can be resolved by putting them in a .zip file or changing the extension to .txt.

Also, have you enabled error logging/displaying to see if any errors are logged or displayed? Another thing you should try is downloading phplist, extracting it to a separate folder on your web server, and applying the mod. Configure it to use the same database, and see if it works. If it does, then you can just rename your old phplist folder and replace it with the new one.
xannonite
PL Nut

Postby bwhite757 » 9:42pm, Fri 11 Jun, 2010

ok, I've zipped up those files for ya:

phplist_mod_files.zip

I have it set to display error messages, however I don't ever have any messages that come up. I don't have access to MySQL log file, I have a support ticket into my service provider to email that to me.

In the meantime I'm doing as you said and installing a fresh copy, we'll see what happens there.
bwhite757
phpLister

Postby bwhite757 » 10:43pm, Fri 11 Jun, 2010

Fresh install of phplist ended up doing the same thing... Still no error messages, site admin said that their servers don't have MySQL logs set up since it's a shared server.
bwhite757
phpLister

Postby xannonite » 11:06pm, Fri 11 Jun, 2010

bwhite757 wrote:Fresh install of phplist ended up doing the same thing... Still no error messages, site admin said that their servers don't have MySQL logs set up since it's a shared server.

Your modded files look fine. Try backing up your `messageview` table and emptying it. If it still doesn't work, I'll do some more extensive testing and send you some pre-modded files when I get a chance.
xannonite
PL Nut

Re:

Postby jsp1983 » 2:11pm, Fri 02 Jul, 2010

xannonite wrote:
iammcse wrote:I kept having trouble with the field "uniqid" not inserting into the table, everything else seems fine.

messageid uniqid data modified
77 <html> 20:25:38

I have the latest one installed[/img]

The last link posted actually points to v1.2. Make sure you have version 1.2.1. The location is the same, but the filename is phplist_vib_mod_1.2.1.zip.

Otherwise, if you could dump your messageview table structure and post it or send it to me, I can see if everything is setup correctly.

Did you create the table using the .sql file, or did you use the 'initialise database' function on the admin page?

p.s. If you posted an error message, it didn't display properly. Try disabling HTML in the post or using the [ code ] BBCode tag.

I've just realised I've downloaded and installed 1.2.

Do I just have to download 1.2.1 and replace the .php file or is there something else?

I'm on 2.10.12.

Update: Tried replacing vm.php, but I'm still not seeing a link to any HTML copies of the newsletter.
jsp1983
phpLister

Postby xannonite » 7:16pm, Fri 02 Jul, 2010

For 1.2.1 you should just need to update the database table. Of course, the mod is so small that it's best to just re-apply it.
xannonite
PL Nut

Postby jsp1983 » 9:03pm, Fri 02 Jul, 2010

xannonite wrote:For 1.2.1 you should just need to update the database table. Of course, the mod is so small that it's best to just re-apply it.

Restored the database to pre-installation and then applied the SQL file. Still nothing showing...

Is there something I need to do after the installation? What should an email look like when it's working?
jsp1983
phpLister

Postby xannonite » 11:03pm, Fri 02 Jul, 2010

Have you added the [VIEWMESSAGEURL] tag to your message? Have you read all the other posts in this thread? Please be more specific about what steps you've taken.
xannonite
PL Nut

Postby MrBrainz » 3:25pm, Fri 09 Jul, 2010

Hi There,

First of all - great mod. I just started a business and noticed the newsletter I sent out looked god awful in Outlook, so immediately I looked for a web-based email display option with PHPlist so next time it won't be so bad.

Thanks very much for putting this together.

I'm also getting the DB error 1026 on sending multiple tests to the same email address.

I was thinking - is there some way you could purge the old entry on send of an email? Because it also means that when you resend it the "web" version doesn't get updated unless you manually purge the old entry from the DB.

This is my only little headache with the mod. Other than that it'd be perfect. Well... I say perfect. I have 2 more pieces of feedback

1. Could you set the <TITLE> tag to the subject of the email somehow?
2. Could you come up with a method to hide the "view the web version" link when you actually hit the web version. Even some sort of CSS hack would be sweet.

If you could solve the DB thing that would be great.

Cheers,

B
MrBrainz
phpList newbie

Postby xannonite » 6:04am, Mon 12 Jul, 2010

I have updated the mod to 1.2.2. See the history for details.

Due to the extra database query, this version may be slower with large lists. If you experience performance issues, you can use 1.2.1's code for sendmaillib.php and change the primary index on the messageview table to a regular index. This will allow multiple messages with the same messageid/uniqid combination. 1.2.2's vm.php will sort messages by date modified and retrieve the latest one.
xannonite
PL Nut

Postby MrBrainz » 10:58am, Mon 26 Jul, 2010

Just wanted to say thank you xannonite.

It's a real shame PHPList doesn't have a plugin architecture to make this stuff simpler. If you had a control panel with options to turn on and off the new mod that would help people with larger databases of users.

I'm as happy as pig in t'muck though. Thanks for putting this together.
MrBrainz
phpList newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Contributions: Plug-ins, Add-ons, Mods