new mod to view HTML email in browser

3rd party code for phpList

new mod to view HTML email in browser

Postby TomAble » 3:48pm, Mon 09 May, 2011

Hi everybody,

I looked for a solution to have a "view in browser" function for PHPLIST and fell over the mod from xanonite, which I figured a good approach. But why store every sent message in the database? PHPLIST already has a function ("sendEmail") which creates a user specific HTML message by fetching a message, it's template and the user specific data from the database. Why not use this code to build a message on the fly and display it online?

There where some obstacles to deal with:

- the admin/sendemaillib.php has some SQL_Query code at it's end, which will be called every time you try to include this file.
    - the admin/sendemaillib.php calls admin/accesscheck.php, which (I assume) blocks access, if you are not logged in as a user. This wouldn't be useful for a "view online in browser" function
    - the sendEmail function in admin/sendemaillib.php returns only 0 or 1. But we need the HTML message to display it online.

The admin/sendemaillib.php was useless to me as it is. What I did:

- I created a function require_once_custom in admin/lib.php, which tries to fetch a custom file, if existent, instead of the original file (admin/sendemaillib_custom.php instead of admin/sendemaillib.php)
    - I replaced the code to include admin/sendemaillib.php in
      -- index.php
      -- admin/send_core.php
      -- and admin/processqueue.php
    - they now try to include admin/sendemaillib_custom.php instead admin/sendemaillib.php
    - I split the code in admin/sendemaillib.php into two parts. One part to process the message data and one part to process the mail.
    - I moved the code to process the message data into a new lib called admin/preparemessagelib.php.
    - I moved the mail processing part into a new file called admin/sendemaillib_custom.php
    - admin/sendemaillib_custom.php uses the functions in admin/preparemessagelib.php to process messages.
    - I added the code part from xanonite to replace [VIEWMESSAGEURL] by the specific URL to view the message in the browser.
    - I added code to handle some code block in the message containing the online URL:

you can add something alike to your messages (or templates):

Code: Select all
    [VIEWONLINEBLOCK]
    <p align="center">
      <a href="[VIEWMESSAGEURL]">View this mail in your favourite browser</a>
    </p>
    [/VIEWONLINEBLOCK]

-- if the function prepare_message is called from sendEmail: the tags [VIEWONLINEBLOCK] and [/VIEWONLINEBLOCK] will be removed from the message and the tag [VIEWMESSAGEURL] will be replaced by the browser URL.

-- if the function prepare_message is called from view_online: everything between [VIEWONLINEBLOCK] and [/VIEWONLINEBLOCK] will be removed entirely from the message - including the tags.

- I created the file view_online.php from a copy of xanonites "vm.php"
    - view_online.php also uses the functions in admin/preparemessagelib.php to create a HTML message on the fly with parameters of the request URL.

What is this good for?

Now, if PHPLIST sends a mail to a user, the message contains a link to the online HTML version of her message (considered the message or the template includes some code like the one above).
If the user clicks on the link in the mail to view the mail via browser, PHPLIST will display her user specific online version of the message.But generated on the fly by using the PHPLIST code which is also used to generate HTML messages for mailings.

Advantages / Disadvantages

- compared to the solution of xanonite, this solution doesn't store messages in the database and therefore needs no database changes
    - on the other way it needs a lot of code rewriting. That's why I provided a patch.
    - if you change or delete templates or messages after you used them in mailings, a user who clicks on the "view in browser" link will see the changed version of the template/message in her browser (not the version sent by mail)

The patch

I also did a lot of comments in the code ( only the part I altered ;-) ). If you apply the specific patch for your PHPLIST version all necessary code will be replaced.

This message is also part of the patch.

download patch here (Tried to upload the file to the forum but this forum tells me allways: "The extension ... is not allowed". Unfortunately it doesn't tell me what extensions are allowed. Tired of trial and error - get the file from my site ;-) )
(this patch worked for me with PHPLIST version 2.10.12 and 2.10.13)

apply patch:
Attention!! Do not apply this patch to your favourite PHPLIST production application. This is not tested by other users yet. And if you do so and brake something, even I warned you - don't blame me ;-)

copy phplist-2.10.12-13_view_online_patch to your phplist directory e.g. /var/www/phplist-2.10.12
change into your phplist directory
run
patch -p1 < phplist-2.10.12-13_view_online_patch

(there are no database modifications necessary)

remove patch:

change into your phplist directory e.g. /var/www/phplist-2.10.12
run
patch -R -p1 < phplist-2.10.12-13_view_online_patch

(there are no database modifications necessary)

Let me hear, what you think of it. Any suggestions, questions?

cheers

Tom
TomAble
phpList newbie

Re: new mod to view HTML email in browser

Postby melh » 8:12am, Mon 27 Jun, 2011

Hi TomAble

Thanks for this mod. Its exactly what I have been looking for however there are problems with making it work so I need to clarify some things. I am testing it on the latest phplist version 2.10.14

I copied the patch file to my list folder:
http://xxxxxxx.com/lists/
Is this correct?

To install I visit in my browser:
http://xxxxxx.com/lists/patch -p1 < phplist-2.10.12-13_view_online_patch
Is this correct?

Then I put in the source view of the message at the top:
[VIEWONLINEBLOCK]
<p align="center">
  <a href="[VIEWMESSAGEURL]">View this mail in your favourite browser</a>
</p>
[/VIEWONLINEBLOCK]

The problem is when I send a test message the email arrives with this at the top:

View this mail in your favourite browser
[/VIEWONLINEBLOCK]

When I view the source these parts are missing: [VIEWONLINEBLOCK] and [VIEWMESSAGEURL]
Maybe I didn't install the patch properly?
melh
phpLister

Postby gdtr » 5:09am, Fri 15 Jul, 2011

I haven't tried out this patch yet, so I can't tell you anything about how it works or how to install it.

But I can tell from the commands that you need to be able to ssh into your server to follow the installation instructions specified here. "patch" is command that is run in a unix shell. Unfortunately for me, I don't have ssh access to my server (only ftp), so I can't apply this ;_;. Maybe you'll have better luck.
gdtr
phpList newbie

Postby dmeiras » 8:47am, Mon 10 Oct, 2011

Hellow, I have a problem with your mod.

when the user click link to view html email (view_online.php?m=59&u=3b86638550a37f228919a39255f1d33a.
), this is the result
Warning: cannot yet handle MBCS in html_entity_decode()! in /var/www/vhost/myhostname/home/html/list_2_10_7/admin/preparemessage.php on line 639

Warning: cannot yet handle MBCS in html_entity_decode()! in /var/www/vhost/myhostname/home/html/list_2_10_7/admin/preparemessage.php on line 639

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: cleanurl() in /var/www/vhost/myhostname/home/html/list_2_10_7/admin/preparemessage.php on line 460

I am not php expert, ¿Could anyone help me? thank you
dmeiras
phpList newbie

Postby grenooye » 4:16pm, Wed 05 Sep, 2012

After much trouble I have finally succeeded in applying this mod and it is superb!
My first difficulty, (like gdtr above) was in applying the patch. The problem was that it wouldn't apply via the browser for me, so I found a free program (patch.exe)which applies patched locally on your computer via a command prompt at: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm
The patch must be applied to a clean version of PHPlist with no mods in the code for sendmaillib.php in particular (so that it can find the code to replace).
My second difficulty was that whislt the Emails are sent without any problems, viewing in the browser was not working and displaying a blank page..!

I finally traced and fixed the problem:
For the purpose of displaying the Email online, only a portion of the code is required and it needs to 'jump out' of the function before it reaches the end of the code.
On the newly created preparemessage.php file which is now used instead of sendmaillib.php to send Emails, just before:

## click tracking
# for now we won't click track forwards, as they are not necessarily users, so everything would fail

insert:
if($format == 'browser') { return 0;} // All is done for browser output, exit function.

There is also a syntax problem with the new [VIEWONLINEBLOCK] feature.

Find the code:
// depending on what for the message is, we either remove only the tags
// [VIEWONLINEBLOCK] and [/VIEWONLINEBLOCK]
// or remove the whole block including the tags (see also README.view_online)
if($format == 'email') {
// in the mail version delete only the place holders
$htmlmessage = preg_replace("/\[VIEWONLINEBLOCK\]/",'',$htmlmessage);
$htmlmessage = preg_replace("/\[\/VIEWONLINEBLOCK\]/",'',$htmlmessage);
} else {
// in the mail version delete only the place holders
$htmlmessage = preg_replace("/\[VIEWONLINEBLOCK\].*\[\/VIEWONLINEBLOCK\]/s",'',$htmlmessage);
}

And replace the last line with:
$htmlmessage = preg_replace("/\[VIEWONLINEBLOCK\].*?\[\/VIEWONLINEBLOCK\]/s",'',$htmlmessage);

This worked for me, I hope it helps others who have wanted this brilliant feature but failed to implement it.
By the way, all the mods you may have used in your sendmaillib.php can now be re-applied to the new preparemessage.php file.

Enjoy!
grenooye
phpList newbie

Postby connections » 11:19am, Wed 03 Oct, 2012

I would really like to use this mod but I don't have any experience running a patch :? Would someone be able to point out where I am going wrong? This is what I have done so far;

1). Downloaded a clean version of phpList version 2.10.18 that I haven't modified, and uncompressed to my Desktop.
2). Downloaded the GNUWIN32 program suggested by grenooye and placed the file patch.exe into the '/public_html' directory of phpList.
3). Placed the file phplist-2.10.12-13_view_online_patch into the same '/public_html' directory.
4). Double clicked the patch.exe file and a black command box with a bull icon in the top left hand corner pops on the screen.
5). Typed patch -p1 < phplist-2.10.12-13_view_online_patch in the box and pressed enter but nothing happens. Flashing cursor moves to next line.
6). Tried typing patch.exe -p1 < phplist-2.10.12-13_view_online_patch instead, but still nothing.
7). Checked sendemaillib.php to see if any changes have been made, but the file appears unchanged.

Can anyone help please?
connections
phpLister

Postby grenooye » 2:12pm, Wed 03 Oct, 2012

Patch.exe is a program which is designed to run on your local computer (not your server).
Place the program in the folder where your files are and open a command window located in:
Windows Start menu/All programs/Accessories/Command prompt
Move to the correct folder (type help if you dont know the commands for this).
It usually invloves typting 'cd..' a few times to get to the root of your computer (ie. C:) then 'cd' followed by your folder location eg. 'cd PHPlist/PHPlist 2.10.13' or wherever your installation of PHPlist is located.
Then use the instructions in the above posts to patch the files
grenooye
phpList newbie

Postby connections » 2:53pm, Wed 03 Oct, 2012

Thanks grenooye,

Yes, I have phpList sitting on my Desktop not my server.

This is a copy paste from the Command Prompt;

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\admin>cd Desktop\phplist-2.10.18\

C:\Users\admin\Desktop\phplist-2.10.18>
C:\Users\admin\Desktop\phplist-2.10.18>patch -p1 < phplist-2.10.12-13_view_onlin
e_patch

This opens up a second Command Prompt pop up (the one with the bull in the top left). I typed in patch -R -p1 < phplist-2.10.12-13_view_onlin
e_patch
into this new box, but it hasn't added or altered any files in my phpList folder.
connections
phpLister

Postby connections » 3:08pm, Wed 03 Oct, 2012

Should I rename the phplist-2.10.12-13_view_online_patch file to something without a '.' in the file name?

When I right click > Properties this is what shows;
Type of File: 12-13_VIEW_ONLINE_PATCH File (.12-13_view_online_patch)
Opens with: Windows Shell Common Dll
connections
phpLister

Postby AlanGeorge » 3:25pm, Wed 03 Oct, 2012

Question to GREENOOYE which version of phpList are you using as I have patched all versions from 2.10.12 through to 2.10.19 with the following results

2.10.12 Success
2.10.13 Success

2.10.14 through to 2.10.19 Partial

These vesrions all fail when applying the alterations to the sendmaillib.php file which suggests that there were code changes applied to 14 and above by the developers that the patch file is not happy with....i.e. it expects to find a_string to replace and can't and therefore aborts the process.

If someone has manually applied the patch to the later versions it would be nice if they could post the changes on the forum.

Alan
AlanGeorge
PL Geek

Postby AlanGeorge » 3:59pm, Wed 03 Oct, 2012

Update

I've just run a diff between the sendmaillib.php in 2.10.13 and 2.10.19 and there are differences which would cause the patch to fail.

I'll update the patch and test on 2.10.19 ; if successful I will either post the result or a link to the updated files.

Please no posts saying "are we there yet....." as I'll swith the power supply from 240 to 110 which might be rather interesting...

Alan
AlanGeorge
PL Geek

Postby AlanGeorge » 11:57pm, Wed 03 Oct, 2012

Update ----- Too much red wine tonight....hic!

The above mentioned hack is now working and operational in 2.10.19

Many thanks to all the individuals that have contributed to the hack so far.

I will write up my notes later this morning as it is now 1am UK time
and make them available either here or via a link to my website www.alangeroge-photography.com
The mods will be a file replace rather than using patch.exe or in my case an IDE.
Alan
AlanGeorge
PL Geek

Postby connections » 9:07am, Thu 04 Oct, 2012

That's great Alan,

Looking forward to trying out your updated mod.

Cheers,

Dave
connections
phpLister

Postby AlanGeorge » 3:01pm, Thu 04 Oct, 2012

Updated files that work with a default installation of phpList v2.10.19 can be viewed and downloaded from the following page

http://www.alangeorge-photography.com/listCode_007.php

these include Greenooye's additions.

As with all hacks please take the necessary precautions before uploading the files to your production environment also with the .htaccess if you have previously modified this then do not replace the file just add view_online.php to the line starting with FilesMatch

Note this has not been tested on earlier versions (i.e. below 2.10.19)

Alan
AlanGeorge
PL Geek

Postby connections » 11:18am, Fri 05 Oct, 2012

Well done Alan :D
Thanks so much for adding the actual php files, the GnuWin32 patch method was starting to drive me a bit crazy! :shock: :)

I've just tested using my old 2.10.8 version and it works like a dream :)

I decided to add the [VIEWONLINEBLOCK] , [VIEWMESSAGEURL] [/VIEWONLINEBLOCK] tags into my favourite HTML template so that the 'View in browser' message appears automatically in the message and I can style the text to suit.
connections
phpLister

Next

Return to Contributions: Plug-ins, Add-ons, Mods