Re: [mod] Proper Sequential "Autoresponder" - x-Hours and x-Days

Postby andrew55 » 4:59pm, Thu 04 Aug, 2011

That's great - looking forward to it.
andrew55
phpLister

Postby jdmoulin » 6:10pm, Thu 04 Aug, 2011

It's a great mod, thanks.

However, the configuration with PhpList is difficult, because I'm a newbie... I've succeeded to set the both php files and the Cronjobs.

Now, I have the following problems with my Hostgator shared server. When I installed PhpList with Fantastico, I configure the processing message queue options to "Manual" instead of "Cron." So when I tested my list, I received only one message instead of the fourteen others that I had created. By the way, I am not sure, if this problem is really related to the "Manual" option.

I guess that I have to either reinstall PhpList with the Cron option or edit the config.php file of PhpList. So I will use the advices founded on the following thread, for my configuration.

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/e ... th-phplist

Basically, I want to send emails every day. However, for my testing, I set it every hour. Then, I just have put the following code, if I don't want to exceed my email's capacity of 500 emails per hour and per domain:

Code: Select all
# define the amount of emails you want to send per period. If 0, batch processing
# is disabled and messages are sent out as fast as possible
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",0);

# define the length of one batch processing period, in seconds (3600 is an hour)
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",3600);

# to avoid overloading the server that sends your email, you can add a little delay
# between messages that will spread the load of sending
# you will need to find a good value for your own server
# value is in seconds (or you can play with the autothrottle below)
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',8);

Even so, how to reconfigure PhpList for Cronjob, without the launch of a new install ?
jdmoulin
phpList newbie

Postby JohnDelay » 7:28pm, Tue 09 Aug, 2011

Hi there crypto,

thanks a lot for this mod. Unfortunately I could not make it working yet. By the way, ashok was right with:

ashok wrote:cannot find code
if (isset($_POST["save"]) || isset($_POST["activate"]) || isset($_POST["deactivate"])) {
  $owner = $_POST["owner"];
  $title = removeXss($_POST['title']);

in Edit /admin/editlist.php

I am using ver. 2.10.14, but the. a. m. code snipet isn't in there ... neither in ver. 2.10.12. . In my code there is instead:

if (isset($_POST["save"]) && isset($_POST["listname"]) && $_POST["listname"]) {
  if ($GLOBALS["require_login"] && !isSuperUser()) {
    $owner = $_SESSION["logindetails"]["id"];
  }
  if (!isset($_POST["active"])) $_POST["active"] = 0;
  $_POST['listname'] = removeXss($_POST['listname']);

I placed the 2nd code block for editlist.php after that. May the snipet you mentioned is part of another mod, which is necessary to make AR work?

I exactly made every step of the instruction (twice) and checked everthing for formal errors, but ... no content shows up, when i try to edit a list in backend.
Where do the autoresponder data get stored? Isn´t there missing an item in the instruction? Don´t we have to create an extra table column manually? I cound´t find anything in the code that would generate a storage place in the database automatically ...

Please help,

Thx, John
JohnDelay
phpLister

Re: [mod] Proper Sequential "Autoresponder" - x-Hours and x-

Postby crypto2600 » 5:55am, Wed 28 Sep, 2011

jdmoulin wrote:It's a great mod, thanks.

However, the configuration with PhpList is difficult, because I'm a newbie... I've succeeded to set the both php files and the Cronjobs.

Now, I have the following problems with my Hostgator shared server. When I installed PhpList with Fantastico, I configure the processing message queue options to "Manual" instead of "Cron." So when I tested my list, I received only one message instead of the fourteen others that I had created. By the way, I am not sure, if this problem is really related to the "Manual" option.

I guess that I have to either reinstall PhpList with the Cron option or edit the config.php file of PhpList. So I will use the advices founded on the following thread, for my configuration.

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/e ... th-phplist

Basically, I want to send emails every day. However, for my testing, I set it every hour. Then, I just have put the following code, if I don't want to exceed my email's capacity of 500 emails per hour and per domain:

# define the amount of emails you want to send per period. If 0, batch processing
# is disabled and messages are sent out as fast as possible
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",0);

# define the length of one batch processing period, in seconds (3600 is an hour)
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",3600);

# to avoid overloading the server that sends your email, you can add a little delay
# between messages that will spread the load of sending
# you will need to find a good value for your own server
# value is in seconds (or you can play with the autothrottle below)
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',8);

Even so, how to reconfigure PhpList for Cronjob, without the launch of a new install ?

This isn't a repeat mailer, it's a sequential mailer. it does follow up emails to people who sign up at intervals starting from their signup. each email is sent once.
crypto2600
PL Nut

Postby crypto2600 » 5:58am, Wed 28 Sep, 2011

JohnDelay wrote:Hi there crypto,

thanks a lot for this mod. Unfortunately I could not make it working yet. By the way, ashok was right with:

ashok wrote:cannot find code
if (isset($_POST["save"]) || isset($_POST["activate"]) || isset($_POST["deactivate"])) {
  $owner = $_POST["owner"];
  $title = removeXss($_POST['title']);

in Edit /admin/editlist.php

I am using ver. 2.10.14, but the. a. m. code snipet isn't in there ... neither in ver. 2.10.12. . In my code there is instead:

if (isset($_POST["save"]) && isset($_POST["listname"]) && $_POST["listname"]) {
  if ($GLOBALS["require_login"] && !isSuperUser()) {
    $owner = $_SESSION["logindetails"]["id"];
  }
  if (!isset($_POST["active"])) $_POST["active"] = 0;
  $_POST['listname'] = removeXss($_POST['listname']);

I placed the 2nd code block for editlist.php after that. May the snipet you mentioned is part of another mod, which is necessary to make AR work?

I exactly made every step of the instruction (twice) and checked everthing for formal errors, but ... no content shows up, when i try to edit a list in backend.
Where do the autoresponder data get stored? Isn´t there missing an item in the instruction? Don´t we have to create an extra table column manually? I cound´t find anything in the code that would generate a storage place in the database automatically ...

Please help,

Thx, John

Both of those sections seem to be functionally equivalent. Try pasting the mod following that block you pasted from your version.
crypto2600
PL Nut

Postby tonyphplist » 5:16pm, Fri 07 Oct, 2011

Hi, This is potentially a really great add-on to phplist but I have a problem and would really appreciate some help. "Autoresponder Features" is not visible on the List Configure form. Here are some notes:

1. phplist is installed in: http://mydomain.com/phplist/

2. The index.php file I edited (to add the case ref to ar.php) is in: http://mydomain.com/phplist/index.php Is that correct?

3. I uploaded ar.php to: http://mydomain.com/phplist/ Is that correct?

4. The code I pasted in at line 215 into http://mydomain.com/phplist/index.php is:

switch ($_GET["p"]) {
case "ar":
case "arh":
include "ar.php";
break;

Is that ok?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Tony
tonyphplist
phpList newbie

Postby crypto2600 » 5:39pm, Fri 07 Oct, 2011

Did you make the mods to /admin/editlist.php as well? That's where the config link shows up.
crypto2600
PL Nut

Postby tonyphplist » 7:17pm, Fri 07 Oct, 2011

crypto2600 wrote:Did you make the mods to /admin/editlist.php as well? That's where the config link shows up.

Thanks for replying.

Yes sorry I should have mentioned that. I copied-in the code from the Word doc, using notepadd++.

I wanted to add editlist because there was some debate about where to put the code, but the uploader does not allow files with the extensions PDF, .txt, .php nor .docx to be attached, so I put it into a public dropbox folder:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2154211/editlist.php

Thanks again !

Tony
tonyphplist
phpList newbie

Postby jurij » 1:53pm, Fri 28 Oct, 2011

Hello to all and thanks to crypto2600 for this promissing mod.
I own a working autoresponder plugin from CS2 so I am familiar with installing envoirement for this mod.
I have done exactly what is being said, but only email I get is email with subject:
[REPORT HOURLY] AUTORESPONDER EMAILED OUT
and with that body:
<html>
      <head>
      </head>
      <body>
    <table>
    <tr style="background-color: #000; color: #fff; font-weight:
bolder;"><td>EMAIL</td><td>INTERVAL</td>
            <td>(LIST ID) EMAIL TITLE</td></tr>
        </table>
      </body>
    </html>

My list did not get any AR message. I stuck, I do not know what is wrong. Any body make this work?

I like the idea of this mod, because it overcome a security (or privacy) issue which CS2`s plugin has.
Because AR has setup in a list edit, PHPlist admins could be managed not to see AR messages for particular list.
In CS2 plugin privacy beetwen admins is not achiavable (permissions for admin is ignored).

I think if CS2 and crypto2600 would step together, this could resoult in a complete solution.
Are there any intend to comlete this SAR mission soon?
jurij
phpLister

Postby polarbear » 10:28am, Fri 04 Nov, 2011

hey jurij,

i have the same problem. I think the message you are getting is the ouput report from the hourly autoresponder code. you can suppress the output by adding
>/dev/null 2>&1
to the end of your cron job command.

I have everything set up but i'm not receiving the mails either. I've tried adding 2 test users to the list and set 2 messages one for 1 hour and one for 2 hours. I received one email (the 2nd 2 hour email).
I'm not sure what the issue is. I have some questions :

1) if I've added my test emails a few times into the system then removed/deleted the user form the list, will this sequential AR still send them the mails (this could be my problem). For example I noticed, phplist keeps a track of users. like if you go into the user's history, you see a full list of all the times they resigned up. I'm wondering if my testing is throwing something out...
2) when you click on the user list for the particualr list, will the column that shows the number of emails sent to that user be incremented with this sequential responder mod? It really should show the messages here that are sent else it's very hard to track anything...
3) i'm confused about the "additional mods" required. I need to be able to send out html emails (similar to native phplis, that sends our html plus the automatic text based email) PLUS use the custom personalised tags for emails. What exact mods need to be done? thanks.

is anyone else having luck with this? I'm really keen to get this working asap.. i have a current overdue project that needs it ...eekk.. any help appreciated
polarbear
phpList newbie

Postby polarbear » 8:30am, Sun 06 Nov, 2011

I found the
initial issue. it has to do with the query in your AR.php script.
Some php versions do not like the quote ' around the table name. I
removed all the quotes around the queries in the table names in the
ar.php file (4 queries had to be altered), then the ar.php file could
run.
I received an email from the newly added user which is good.
polarbear
phpList newbie

Postby Blisk » 7:06pm, Mon 07 Nov, 2011

Does this mod sends differend messages at differend time using differned lists.

So it sends automatically one message to users from list 1 on monday.
And other message to users from list 2 on tuesday, etc....?
Blisk
phpLister

Postby andrew55 » 5:35am, Wed 01 Feb, 2012

crypto2600 - Did you ever figure out a way to get a placeholder [FIRSTNAME] into subject line and body of messages? I was just checking to see if ths funti0nality was ever added.
andrew55
phpLister

Postby CAsunLuvr » 12:12pm, Tue 01 May, 2012

I'm attempting to set this up. I've just installed phpList Version 2.10.17 via HostGator.

After following these instructions, my editlist.php page is partially missing/blank. [http://domain.com/admin/?page=editlist&id=2]

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Claudia
CAsunLuvr
phpList newbie

Postby jjarrett » 3:26pm, Mon 20 Aug, 2012

I have installed the latest version of PHPlist. Everything seems to be working. I then installed this mod, as well as adding the ability for my system to send out RSS emails. I am able to send out test mails, but none of my emails from either the RSS or the autoresponder are being sent out. I did set everything up according to your instructions, so I'm really not sure what to do next.

Any ideas on what is wrong and how I can fix it? I really like this mod, and it will definitely help me.
jjarrett
phpList newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Contributions: Plug-ins, Add-ons, Mods