[plugin] RSS Feed

3rd party code for phpList

[plugin] RSS Feed

Postby duncanc » 2:35pm, Wed 25 Mar, 2015

This plugin allows you to send campaigns whose content comes from an RSS feed.

The plugin is available on GitHub. See https://github.com/bramley/phplist-plugin-rssfeed for how to install the plugin. Note that the plugin requires php version 5.3 or later and phplist version 3.0.12.

Guidance on how to use the plugin is on the plugin page within the phplist documentation https://resources.phplist.com/plugin/rssfeed.

Please post any questions or comments here.
duncanc

Re: [plugin] RSS Feed

Postby hhadmin » 11:22pm, Fri 03 Apr, 2015

I'm very happy to see a revised plugin (thanks developer) and intend to try it

Two questions on this new plugin:

1. Do I need to uninstall the old rssmanager plugin before installing this one?

2. My campaign needs to pick up two different feeds - the blog post feed AND the blog comments feed.

Getrss is currently updating both of these daily in the PHPList cache, because I have set up a separate list for each URL. But I only want to send one campaign picking up both feeds.

Does the relevant List need to name both feed URLs, and if so what syntax? The instructions refer only to a single feed.

HH
hhadmin
PL Nut

Postby duncanc » 12:37pm, Sat 04 Apr, 2015

You can have the two plugins installed together, but I would disable the old one while you test my new plugin.

The new plugin allows only one feed for a campaign, so you will need to send separate campaigns for each feed.
duncanc

Postby hhadmin » 11:00pm, Tue 07 Apr, 2015

OK - I've been running this plugin for three days now, on a daily cycle. It is working exactly as designed so far - so thanks again!

On the issue of one-feed-per-campaign: it is not ideal, but workable. I don't want to clutter my subscription page with extra options, so I just have users subscribe to the main posts feed, and then use the Lists management module to copy all users from the posts feed list to the comments feed list. The posts update campaign and the comments update campaign are scheduled on embargoes a few minutes apart, after the "get" cron job and before the daily "processqueue" (which runs twice, a few minutes apart). This all seems to work for me, and users are signing up to it, with no unsubscrbes so far.

The log shows a message that may be harmless, but I don't know where it comes from - viz:

Code: Select all
PHP Notice:  Undefined index: sent_users_for_message 180 in /home/***/public_html/***/admin/actions/processqueue.php on line 1073

Processqueue doesn't have that many lines, so I'm not sure where this is coming from. It looks like maybe something related to rssmanager plugin, which I have disabled?

HH
hhadmin
PL Nut

Postby duncanc » 8:32am, Wed 08 Apr, 2015

That message is harmless but is caused by the plugin enabling error reporting, which makes an existing phplist error be reported. I have updated the plugin to reset error reporting so you can update it on the Manage Plugins page.

I don't understand why you need to copy the users from one list to a second, unless you are excluding some. You can send each of the two campaigns to the same list.
duncanc

Postby hhadmin » 10:23pm, Thu 09 Apr, 2015

Yes, of course. I had mentally conflated list and campaign. Processqueue will send anything that is in the queue, to any list. My mind went that way because I was thinking that subscribers might want to choose whether or not to receive the comments feed - especially since I have found no way to limit that feed to excerpts, so any verbose comment gets sent in full, willy-nilly. But then I decided not to add that choice to the subscription page. Swings and roundabouts.

By the way, with a daily repeat campaign, your "Manage campaigns" plugin is very useful to purge the statistics pages from getting clogged up with daily repeated messages.

HH
hhadmin
PL Nut

Return to Contributions: Plug-ins, Add-ons, Mods