[mod] Sequential Autoresponder

3rd party code for phpList

[mod] Sequential Autoresponder

Postby ocmnet » 1:26pm, Wed 31 Mar, 2004

It seems the next logical progression of PHPlist would be to add the capability for sequential autoresponse to a list(s). This means creating a series of responses in advance that will automatically be sent to a list at predetermined intervals like day 1 3 7 10, once a week, etc.
ocmnet
phpLister

Postby michiel » 9:08pm, Thu 01 Apr, 2004

that's already possible. Check out the repetition functionality. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean?
michiel
Admin

Repetition?

Postby ocmnet » 11:05pm, Fri 02 Apr, 2004

Where do I find out about this? Can it send different messages automatically at a prescribed interval? Send msg1 on day 1, msg 2 on day10, msg3 on day 12, etc...
ocmnet
phpLister

Postby michiel » 12:13am, Sat 03 Apr, 2004

You can repeat messages at a set interval, 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, etc

READ THE DOCS.

I know there are not that many docs, but if people don't even read the ones that are there, why would we bother making documentation at all.
michiel
Admin

READ THE DOCS

Postby ocmnet » 2:55pm, Tue 13 Apr, 2004

READ THE MESSAGE.

I have read the docs. I understand that you can repeat a msg. That is pretty much worthless. If you had read my message closer you would understand that I think phpList needs the ability to send sequential messages based on the date that the subscriber entered the list, not just repeat the same message. Even if you change the original message and resend it would cause problems because new subscribers need to get the original message.

Example:
Three sequential messages are created for List1. The first one is sent immediately on subscribing, the 2nd one is sent 3 days later and the third one is sent 3 days after the 2nd one.

April 1: SubscriberX enters List1 and automatically recieves msg1.

April 4: SubscriberX automatically receives msg2 that was scheduled for 3 days after he entered the list. SubscriberY joins today. He gets the msg1.

April 7: Subscriber X gets msg3, SubscriberY gets follow-up msg2.

April 10: SubscriberY get msg3.

The sequential messages need to be keyed off of the date subscribed. I guess you could sort of accomplish this by moving people from one list to another after each message is sent, but that would be very cumbersome because you would need a new list for every message that you want to send. If you send 10 follow-ups to subscribers that means 10 lists for what should be only 1 list with 10 sequentail messages. Multiply that by 10 subscriber lists and now you would have over 100 lists to maintain.
ocmnet
phpLister

Postby michiel » 3:02pm, Tue 13 Apr, 2004

No, that's currently not possible, but you can commission the work if you like.
michiel
Admin

Postby Grisdale » 11:13pm, Wed 05 May, 2004

michiel wrote:No, that's currently not possible, but you can commission the work if you like.

Please advise what this would cost to commission an autoresponder feature. It might be logical to ask those interested to contribute.

See www.aweber.com for a good autoresponder.
Grisdale
phpList newbie

Postby michiel » 6:38pm, Thu 06 May, 2004

Grisdale wrote:Please advise what this would cost to commission an autoresponder feature. It might be logical to ask those interested to contribute.

you can either

1. join as a developer and add it yourself
2. get an existing developer to add it
3. contact me personally by email for a quote (phplist2@tincan.co.uk)

I prefer to discuss this via email and not in the forums.
michiel
Admin

Postby Crazy Serb » 5:08pm, Mon 06 Jun, 2005

Yeah, are there any updates on this feature?

If you could implement some of the features of aweber like ad tracking, click-through tracking, viewed/opened/non-delivered message tracking and stats, subscriber (daily/monthly) stats, sequential autoresponders (time-delayed messages), adding subscribers via e-mail directly (all email sent to a certain address will be added to the list), include attachments, etc... I would definitely be interested in paying up to $50 for a script like that!

(you can see that I'm not a big fan of paying set monthly fee for something that I have no full control of and cannot move to another server, install over and over, etc)
Crazy Serb
phpLister

Sequential Autoresponder, Yes Please!

Postby leek » 11:43pm, Mon 06 Jun, 2005

Just stumbled across PHPlist and it looks like a great piece of software. Thank you for all the hard work and for offering it for free.

At the risk of sounding cheeky, an sequential autoresponder would be a great addition to PHPlist. I have been using Infinite Responder from http://infinite.ibasics.biz/ which is also offered on a GPL. Just prehaps the creator of Infinite Responder would contribute some of his code to PHPlist.

Cheers

Leek
leek
phpList newbie

Postby chmac » 4:35pm, Fri 24 Jun, 2005

Hi leek,

Do you know if infinite responder still exists? All the urls I've found to actually download it are dead, 404s.

I'm looking for an open source auto responder and it looks very attractive. Likewise, any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

chmac.
chmac
phpLister

Autoresponder

Postby GB » 8:56am, Tue 05 Jul, 2005

Just adding my voice to the clammer.

Yes, I definitely agree that there is a need for an autoresponder. If you (the site admin) want to make some money from it. Put a price on it and offer it as an add-on. Maybe send out an email and ask all of PHPlist subscribers if they want an autoresponder add on, and what would they be prepared to pay for it. If 100 say $20 then there is an earning of $2000 for the effort of writing it.

Hope that helps.

GB
GB
phpList newbie

Postby chmac » 10:24am, Tue 05 Jul, 2005

Nice idea, I'd chip in a few dollas to support it. At the same time, what a nightmare, having 100 clients on one project! :)
chmac
phpLister

Postby Maciej Wasyluk » 12:39am, Wed 13 Jul, 2005

I would donte or pay for addons as well :)
Maciej Wasyluk
phpList newbie

Postby michiel » 8:01pm, Wed 03 Aug, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yes, I think it's time to add this feature to phplist. We had a bit of a feature stop, but it should now be quite possible to start adding things again.

I have set up a page explaining this. This is a new way to work on this, so it will be interesting to see how we can pull this together.

So, if you are interested in this feature, please read this page and we will take it from there.
michiel
Admin

Next

Return to Contributions: Plug-ins, Add-ons, Mods