[plugin: Mail2List] Send mail to your list via email client

3rd party code for phpList

Messages with no content

Postby myke113 » 9:03am, Sun 05 Aug, 2007

I too had the problem with mail2list not sending anything other than footers to the list. After looking in the database I noticed that some messages (the ones that were sent correctly by phplist on it's own) had the message in the message field. The ones added by mail2list had the message in the textmessage field.

Now I'm not sure if this is a bug in mail2list, phplist, or a configuration error, but it now works now that I've changed the textmessage to message in get_email_class.php on line 565. It's a quick hack but at least it enabled me to get the message sent out..

Can anyone tell me if this is just a configuration error in phplist or if it's a bug somewhere in phplist or mail2list?

Also, could anyone suggest some mods so that any address on the list can be considered on the whitelist? Maybe make this an option when setting up mail2list?

Thanks!
myke113
phpLister

Postby SaWey » 10:41am, Sun 05 Aug, 2007

Hey, thnx for noticing.

At the moment I can't tell you why that happens, it all should work fine. I'll try to find out what's wrong.

About the whitelist, you can easily change that.
At line 643 change:
Code: Select all
$req = Sql_Query("SELECT * FROM "  . $GLOBALS[table_prefix] . "mail2list_allowsend WHERE email='".$email['FROM_EMAIL']."'");

to:
$req = Sql_Query("SELECT * FROM "  . $GLOBALS[table_prefix] . "user_user WHERE email='".$email['FROM_EMAIL']."'");
SaWey
PL Master

CRON Jobs

Postby myke113 » 5:30pm, Sun 05 Aug, 2007

I'd also like to put in a vote for cron functionality.. even if it's just a simple cron.php script sitting outside of the main plugin..

I'm trying to set up a listserv on a server that doesn't support that, so I want to use phpList with mail2list and have that triggered by poormanscron in Drupal somehow..

Can anyone tell me what would need to be done for cron to be functional? Even if it only sends one message per minute I'm ok with that as long as these messages go out!
myke113
phpLister

Postby myke113 » 4:36pm, Tue 07 Aug, 2007

SaWey wrote:About the whitelist, you can easily change that.
At line 643 change:
$req = Sql_Query("SELECT * FROM "  . $GLOBALS[table_prefix] . "mail2list_allowsend WHERE email='".$email['FROM_EMAIL']."'");

to:
$req = Sql_Query("SELECT * FROM "  . $GLOBALS[table_prefix] . "user_user WHERE email='".$email['FROM_EMAIL']."'");

Hey I noticed that there is a problem with that code. The table mail2list_allowsend contains a name field, whereas user_user doesn't. This caused the test at this line to fail, even though the email address may be found:

if ($whitelistcheck['name'] == ""){

I changed the 'name' to 'email' and it worked.

But this also causes another serious problem:

The person only has to exist in the user_user table, not even be confirmed, to send to any list. We need a more elaborate test to see if they are subscribed to the list in question, to see if they are able to send to that particular list. Any suggestions?
myke113
phpLister

Postby SaWey » 10:17pm, Tue 07 Aug, 2007

hey

I updated the package, it now has an import function under the 'Add users' page.
just downoad the new package and copy the 'mailtolist/main.php' over your existing one.

You will be able to import users from your lists with some configuration options.

You also can choose an attribute to use as the name for the users.
SaWey
PL Master

mail2list suggestions

Postby myke113 » 6:05am, Sun 12 Aug, 2007

SaWey wrote:hey

I updated the package, it now has an import function under the 'Add users' page.

How about also having an option, selectable through a configuration menu, to use the list subscribers instead of the whitelist? This would allow easier management of the beginnings a listserv function...

You will be able to import users from your lists with some configuration options.

How about allowing the type of list authentication to be set? (Whitelist, and Subscribers only, and password protected)

Also, how about a subject tagline to be added to the beginning of emails subject lines as in [phplist] or something similar to that...

The problem with the whitelist, is that it has no separation between the lists.. anyone on the whitelist can post to any list.. thus the need for a subscribers only option..

You also can choose an attribute to use as the name for the users.

This didn't seem to work on my site for some reason...?

Couple last minute suggestions:

If cron support were added ( and would only send as many as were set per batch per email address sent from..), this could be integrated into Drupal and function from within Drupal.. And have the mailings triggered by Drupal cron events or poormanscron in Drupal..

-Myke
myke113
phpLister

Postby SaWey » 8:47am, Mon 20 Aug, 2007

Sorry it took so long, have been very busy latly.
I will do as you suggested, but it could take a while.
SaWey
PL Master

Postby evero » 3:12pm, Mon 20 Aug, 2007

I just have to add in that I really apreciate the work being done with this plugin!
If the cron job script can be done successfully, it would really take phplist to a whole new level!

Only using an email app to send out news instead of logging into (phplist) admin panels and browse / confirm several steps makes a HUGE difference. This is really what would make phplist a totally killer app. (I know phplist is meant to be different from mailman, - but I still talk about a 1 to many distribution, the only difference is that being able to distribute news from a mailclient instead of a time consuming webinterface makes the difference between using phplist and not using phplist.. - for many people)

All i can to is to encourage to continue the great work on this! In the mean time I have to wait patiently, using google groups..

regards
evero
phpLister

Postby SaWey » 5:13pm, Tue 21 Aug, 2007

V2.0.0 of this plugin went beta, go HERE to read more!!!
SaWey
PL Master

Postby evero » 8:35pm, Tue 21 Aug, 2007

that's good news! I will certainly give it a try and report in the other thread. Unfortunately I'll need to get up a server first, and enough time to install and test, so I hope others can be helpfull in the mean time.

thanks again
evero
phpLister

Postby ErikLockwar » 4:00pm, Fri 24 Aug, 2007

Hi !

I tried to install last version 2.0 beta (never installed before)

After initial setup, I configured it and, at first mail-dowload (process new mails button), I received this error (the duplicated key, I suppose, appeared only the second time I tried):

Database error 1064 while doing query You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Come Iscriversi'.', '2007-08-24 17:53:31', '2007-0
Database error 1062 while doing query Duplicate entry '0-2' for key 2

Processing list 'prova'
------------------------------

Status of pop3 connection: Connected

Processed message 1 of 1
No emails where sent to Prova.

Thanks in advance

Erik
ErikLockwar
phpList newbie

Postby ErikLockwar » 6:39pm, Fri 24 Aug, 2007

ErikLockwar wrote:Hi !

I tried to install last version 2.0 beta (never installed before)

After initial setup, I configured it and, at first mail-dowload (process new mails button), I received this error (the duplicated key, I suppose, appeared only the second time I tried):

I suppose this error caused by footer. My footer contains "Please visit our site - Section 'How to'".

I think the "'" sign it's not correctly parsed by php code.....

Thanks,

Erik
ErikLockwar
phpList newbie

Postby ErikLockwar » 8:42pm, Fri 24 Aug, 2007

Ok. Problem solved. There is really a 'problem' parsing the footer with " ' " sign.

Another issue.....

The collation set for MySql is UTF-8 Unicode (utf8) but all others databases are latin1_general_ci.

When I send messages via PHPList, I don't have problems with italian letters like (receiving it with Outlook):

ìèòàù

When I use messages sent and previously processed by mailtolist, the same characters are replaced by 'squares' (unprintable signs).

�����

Thanks !
ErikLockwar
phpList newbie

Postby SaWey » 11:48pm, Fri 24 Aug, 2007

could you try this in phpmyadmin:

ALTER TABLE `phplist_mail2list_allowsend` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET  utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci
ALTER TABLE `phplist_mail2list_list` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci
ALTER TABLE `phplist_mail2list_popaccounts` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci

And change the CHARACTER SET to the same as the phplist tables, as for the COLLATE.
SaWey
PL Master

Postby ErikLockwar » 7:53am, Sat 25 Aug, 2007

Ok, thanks.

Unfortunately, I must depart today for a week. I'll be able to test these changes next Saturday.

Thanks a lot.
ErikLockwar
phpList newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Contributions: Plug-ins, Add-ons, Mods