Blank install (checked config) Need Reinstall?

Questions & Problems about Installing or Upgrading with Version 3 phpList.
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation.

Blank install (checked config) Need Reinstall?

Postby StubbornFacts » 10:59am, Sat 31 May, 2014

This is and is not a "me too"...
Yes, I have a blank install (front and admin) after upgrading
BUT, unless my 6 trips through config.php have missed something simple, I'm wondering if I've got a bigger problem, which I'll get to ASAP here.

First, the basics:
I was running 2.10.19, trying to upgrade to latest 3.0.6
Mac OSX 10.6.8 with FF 29.0.1 *and* Safari 5.1.10
site: [url]grassrootsne.com/mail[/url]

And to answer the #1 question that will be asked:
YES, the necessary change to config was done. Do note that this was a working install under the same directory before the upgrade attempt. Therefore, I copied the following out of my existing config.php into the extended file I edited (and did rename to config.php before uploading to overwrite on the server):
Code: Select all
# if you change the path to the phpList system, make the change here as well
# path should be relative to the root directory of your webserver (document root)
$pageroot = '/mail';
$adminpages = '/mail/admin';

NOW, I did note that there was only a pageroot line in the default config file, unlike the two lines in my 2.10.19 install, but, this additional line made sense to me.

I did a line by line comparison of my newly edited config file to check for missing semicolons, to compare for quotes versus apostrophes, and even...on the fourth and fifth trips through, looked to see if I might've included an extra space or something somewhere. If there is indeed an error in the file...wow...I just can't see it.

SO, barring that, I can't help but think the potential cause of my problem is due to the following:

I initially attempted to upgrade this install about two weeks ago, immediately before having to move away from HostGator to a new company, due to rapidly degrading service - frequent outages - and a growing list of server misconfiguration issues (php, mostly - confirmed by error logs and non-functioning sites which magically worked after being moved).

I was *hoping* the move would provide me the opportunity to get this working, albeit with more work than I had with several other dysfunctional sites, by re-doing the update (FTP, edit config from scratch).

I'm wondering about a really messed up database, possibly, but I only know how to look for problems in Wordpress databases, wouldn't know where to start with PHPList. However, I do have multiple versions of backups of that.

If I have to delete and reinstall, I will (my lists and other things like stats are all backed up), but, I've never done that before and literally don't know the best procedure for that. I originally installed this with Fantastico, and would normally uninstall that way, but, since it's been moved, I don't think I can use Softaculous to do that.

Please let me know if I've overlooked something else obvious or need to provide more information.

Thanks,
Shelli
StubbornFacts
phpLister

Re: Blank install (checked config) Need Reinstall?

Postby Dragonrider » 12:02pm, Sat 31 May, 2014

Hi Shelli,

Okay, let's see if we can help out here.

With version 3, $adminpages is no longer needed, phpList now picks up the $pageroot and simply adds /admin to it from what I can tell.

An all blank page usually means that there is a syntax error in the config.php file.

Upgrading from version 2 to 3 can normally be done by overwriting the version 2 install.

However, when things go wrong, it's a case of trying version options to find an error.

Quick question, are you still on HostGater or have you moved to your new host for your phpList 3? It may or may not make an difference, but who knows.

First of all, please rename your config.php file to config.old.php and upload in it's place the unaltered config.php file and try to view your phplist pages.
If an error comes up, possibly cannot connect to database, this would suggest that the fault lies in the (old) config file.

If no change, please use Softicious to install a fresh phpList 3 in a different directory to mail. Allow it to set up a new database and user, we're not bothered out using this as yet, only to see if there is an error from carrying the old install over.

If that works, great, we can discuss changing the new version to use your old database thus recovering your old data.

See how these suggestions go please and get back to us with any results, thanks.

david
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby StubbornFacts » 3:45am, Sun 01 Jun, 2014

Hi David,
Thanks so much. Am going to go enact your suggestions and report back.

Meanwhile:

Quick question, are you still on HostGater or have you moved to your new host for your phpList 3? It may or may not make an difference, but who knows.

Answer = yes, the second and present attempt to upgrade is on the NEW host.
Although I thought the move was more likely to fix my issue, I can see why it's a question.

Regarding this installation on the old host (HostGator):

I hadn't been actively using this PHPList for sends for sometime (was trying to get back to doing that), so I can't speak at all to potential issues - almost all of the trouble with HG started after I'd gone into that inactive period.

However, as far as server differences when I tried to upgrade while still at HG, because there were so many issues with the PHP configurations, overloads, outages, etc., I couldn't get accurate information regarding the server's actual configurations, EVEN regarding, believe it or not, whether it was Apache or nginx.

Disparate information from different installs at different times, showing in cPanels, error logs, etc., showed conflicting information.

Reportedly, the Apache servers were still on 5.2 and being migrated in groups to 5.3. My cPanels said 5.2.

New host (BigScoots): (they have an excellent reputation, what I see is consistent, so, I believe this is accurate)
Apache version 2.2.27
PHP version 5.4.26
MySQL version 5.6.16
Architecture x86_64
Operating system linux
Perl version 5.10.1
Kernel version 2.6.32-458.23.2.lve1.2

If any additional information about the old/new would be insightful, let me know.

I'll be back, hopefully sooner, rather than later to report on progress of troubleshooting steps.
Thanks again,
Shelli
StubbornFacts
phpLister

Postby StubbornFacts » 4:47am, Sun 01 Jun, 2014

Started with simplest first:

Since:
With version 3, $adminpages is no longer needed, phpList now picks up the $pageroot and simply adds /admin to it from what I can tell.

and I am getting a blank screen, I:

opened up the default config_extended.php and started over with the edits
    I left out the extra line ($adminpages = '/mail/admin';)

After uploading the new config.php file and going to /mail or /mail/admin, this is what I get:
Cannot connect to database, access denied. Please check your configuration or contact the administrator.

(Well, at least it's different...)
As I noted, I understand some about Wordpress' database, not PHPList's, using PHPMyadmin, but I thought I'd have a look.

QUESTION: Is there any way to see if there are any discrepancies between the database and the config file?

I poked around the admin tables particularly, but I don't see a match up between the admin logins (2) and the config file.

Anyway, I'm off to the next step.
I'm going to do another install regardless - I've been thinking of creating a test / practice install for a while to stage updates, etc., and this experience is reinforcing that idea.
StubbornFacts
phpLister

Postby StubbornFacts » 6:19am, Sun 01 Jun, 2014

All troubleshooting steps have been done and ready to move on to whichever next step is most sensible.

Summary of where things are:

- Named config.php that was producing a blank config.oldfirst.php, uploaded default, got database connection error.
- Redid (from fresh default) the config.php file *taking out the admin line change* , got database connect error (see my last post)
- Renamed to config.old.php, uploaded default, get same database connect error

Can proceed to fix from here if the database errors are indicative / helpful

ALSO, because I want a test install regardless, installed another PHPList with Softaculous, using default /lists

SO, can also go about making things work with the new install

Whichever is easier, thanks.
Shelli
StubbornFacts
phpLister

Postby Dragonrider » 7:21am, Sun 01 Jun, 2014

StubbornFacts wrote:Started with simplest first:

Since:

and I am getting a blank screen, I:

opened up the default config_extended.php and started over with the edits
    I left out the extra line ($adminpages = '/mail/admin';)

After uploading the new config.php file and going to /mail or /mail/admin, this is what I get:
Cannot connect to database, access denied. Please check your configuration or contact the administrator.

Okay, this is good news, in a way. What is happening here is that you've not set the database values in the default config.php file so your installation cannot therefore find the database. It also means that the error has crept in to the original config.php file.

Now, please add the correct database values to your new config.php file and see if the error remains or you get a blank page, or hopefully, you get to see the phpList install.

StubbornFacts wrote:As I noted, I understand some about Wordpress' database, not PHPList's, using PHPMyadmin, but I thought I'd have a look.

QUESTION: Is there any way to see if there are any discrepancies between the database and the config file?

There's no real correlation between the two, they are quite different in purpose.
StubbornFacts wrote:I'm going to do another install regardless - I've been thinking of creating a test / practice install for a while to stage updates, etc., and this experience is reinforcing that idea.

Can you please report back on the state of play after making the config.php changes I gave above?
Thanks
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby StubbornFacts » 10:13am, Mon 02 Jun, 2014

Actually - I did all of those steps already.
It occurred to me that you're probably reading forum posts by email and might not have seen the more recent posts I'd made. Here's my last:

StubbornFacts wrote:All troubleshooting steps have been done and ready to move on to whichever next step is most sensible.

Summary of where things are:

- Named config.php that was producing a blank config.oldfirst.php, uploaded default, got database connection error.
- Redid (from fresh default) the config.php file *taking out the admin line change* , got database connect error (see my last post)
- Renamed to config.old.php, uploaded default, get same database connect error

Can proceed to fix from here if the database errors are indicative / helpful

ALSO, because I want a test install regardless, installed another PHPList with Softaculous, using default /lists

SO, can also go about making things work with the new install

Whichever is easier, thanks.
Shelli
StubbornFacts
phpLister

Postby Dragonrider » 10:39am, Mon 02 Jun, 2014

No, I've looked at the pile of responses but got lost as there was no obvious reply to what I suggested.

IF I'm following you, you have restored the "original" config.php and now see a database error? Is that right?

If so, check that the database settings are correct to connect to your database. You should have these values from when you created the database, remember if you created it on your old host, the database details will be different to that on your new host. Prefixes for sure will be different.
Dragonrider

Return to Installing and Upgrading