Please leave this window open. You have batch processing enabled

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Please leave this window open. You have batch processing enabled

Postby osarusan » 7:22pm, Mon 12 Jun, 2006

Hi, I just found this thread, and I have the same problem...

I have PHPlist set to send 300 emails per hour, and I just sent my first newsletter using it. I was surprised to see:

"Please leave this window open. You have batch processing enabled, so it will reload several times to send the messages."

What will happen if the browser crashes or times out? It won't start re-sending the newsletter to everyone again, will it? :shock:

I'm especially worried about bombarding our members with multiple copies of the same newsletter... but after that, I'm worried about having to babysit the message queue. Can someone give me some suggestions as to what to do? I'd like it to just automatically handle the queue on its own, without needing to leave a webpage open for hours while it processes each message.

Thanks for your help.
osarusan
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 7:36pm, Mon 12 Jun, 2006

To automize the sending process you could try to set up a cron job. See this thread: http://www.phplist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2232
H2B2

Postby osarusan » 8:18pm, Mon 12 Jun, 2006

Thanks for the quick reply, but unfortunately the thread you linked to is very old and it seems that the PHPList cose has changed quite a bit since then... in fact, all the recent posts in that thread are from users who say that it doesn't work in the current versions of PHPList. :-(

I would like to set up a Cron Job to get this to work, unfortunately I have no clue what I should tell it to run. I imagine some people must be using this kind of cron job with PHPList, so is there anyone who can give us new to PHPList some insight on how to set it up?

Thanks.
osarusan
phpLister

Postby BUGabundo » 9:33am, Tue 13 Jun, 2006

i use this and works just fine

curl 'http://MYDOMAIN/lists/admin/index.php?page=processqueue&login=USERADMIN&password=MYPASSWORD' > /dev/null

just set a cron to run whenever u want.
I ran mine every hour
BUGabundo
PL Nut

Postby osarusan » 9:23pm, Wed 14 Jun, 2006

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the command you suggested, but I get the following error returned to me:

/bin/sh: /home/{mysite}/public_html/{phplist}/admin/index.php?page=processqueue: No such file or directory

(Note: I did type in the proper location in the cronjob, I just typed it in {that way} for this post.)

The permissions on the file are 777... any ideas why it's saying that?

(Edit: I also tried it http://{mysite}/{phplist}/admin/index.php?page=processqueue&login={ADMIN}&password={PASS} and recieved the same error.)
osarusan
phpLister

Postby BUGabundo » 9:32pm, Wed 14 Jun, 2006

it looks like you are missing the user
dont know if it is needed when using the shell thought
BUGabundo
PL Nut

Postby osarusan » 1:12pm, Thu 15 Jun, 2006

I do have the user and password entered in the cron tab, and they appear in the subject line of the email error it sends me, just not in the message body.

To be more specific, here is the email error I get:

/home/jasgp/public_html/newsletter/admin/index.php: line 1: ?php: No such file or directory
/home/jasgp/public_html/newsletter/admin/index.php: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
/home/jasgp/public_html/newsletter/admin/index.php: line 3: `@ob_start();'

So it's definitely finding the file... but I really have no idea what is going on here.
osarusan
phpLister

Postby BUGabundo » 2:53pm, Thu 15 Jun, 2006

why dont u try like I did?
using a web url?
BUGabundo
PL Nut

Please leave this window open. You have batch processing 2

Postby osarusan » 3:51pm, Thu 15 Jun, 2006

Oooh! I realize the problem! Originally I had the same error when i used the URL, too... but now I realize it's because I left out the curl ' ...... ' part!

Thanks so much, you have solved my problem!!!! :-)
osarusan
phpLister

Return to Question & Problems - after installing