I'm giving up on PHPList

Discussion about the phpList community

I'm giving up on PHPList

Postby frankcow » 2:45pm, Fri 23 Jun, 2006

I'm a huge advocate of Open Source, but I think I've had enough troubleshooting and problems, I'm moving on to a purchased solution

probably something small like constant contact
frankcow
phpLister
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 7:08pm, Fri 12 Aug, 2005

Postby Hernol » 3:04pm, Fri 23 Jun, 2006

What's the problem? Post it in the Question forum. Also you can request a install.
Hernol
Admin
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: 6:39pm, Thu 18 May, 2006
Location: Argentina

Postby frankcow » 3:06pm, Fri 23 Jun, 2006

I have posted the problems

I had issues with the users becoming 'unconfirmed', and not getting through at all to some domains (hotmail, trebnet)

Also, there are still some bugs that need to be worked out before this is ready for primetime, Like criteria choices disappearing.

Also, you should able to create multiple lists without having to use the same attributes for each one
frankcow
phpLister
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 7:08pm, Fri 12 Aug, 2005

Postby Hernol » 3:12pm, Fri 23 Jun, 2006

All that can be fixed.
When you send a lot of messages to the same domain you should put a delay betwen the messages so the domain doesn't mark your emails as spam or block your adress.
The criteria works but not for all attributes, you should read that frm the docs.
And you can chose diferents attributes for each list, that's easy to do from the main page.
If you still can get it, sorry!
Hernol
Admin
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: 6:39pm, Thu 18 May, 2006
Location: Argentina

Postby H2B2 » 3:29pm, Fri 23 Jun, 2006

not getting through at all to some domains (hotmail, trebnet)

More often than not, the issue of messages being blocked by spam filtering measures is caused by a badly set up dns and mailserver, which is not uncommon on shared hosting setups. Accurate rDNS, HELO/EHLO, etc. are imperative to get through with any mail list software. A good way to check your domain setup is to use http://www.dnsreport.com and let your isp correct all errors and warnings in the dns report.

In short, changing software will not persé make a difference in getting your mail delivered.
H2B2
Moderator
 
Posts: 7188
Joined: 1:51am, Wed 15 Mar, 2006

Postby frankcow » 4:31pm, Fri 23 Jun, 2006

It's just so much easier to go with a paid service in this case, and the reporting is substantially better

I'd rather not have to worry about proper server setup and all those hassles
frankcow
phpLister
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 7:08pm, Fri 12 Aug, 2005

Postby Totto » 6:15pm, Sun 02 Jul, 2006

frankcow wrote:It's just so much easier to go with a paid service in this case, and the reporting is substantially better

I'd rather not have to worry about proper server setup and all those hassles

Good luck then! It's the risk of using open source software. But we know the advantages on the other hand.
To all forum users: Search the forums when you got a question first! Your question may have already been asked many times before and also many times answered. The search feature is your best friend on any forums of this kind!
Totto
PL Master
 
Posts: 370
Joined: 11:20pm, Tue 31 Jan, 2006

I'm so fed up with this guys :(

Postby humaneasy » 7:17pm, Wed 09 Aug, 2006

frankcow wrote:I'm a huge advocate of Open Source, but I think I've had enough troubleshooting and problems, I'm moving on to a purchased solution

probably something small like constant contact


Fantastic! To say no more.

You choose the right option. Hosted. Completely closed. Not even knowing what the hell the company does with your records. And if they bankrupted?

And this fantastic solution can cost way more than $150 per month.

This guy is unbelievable or what?

Oh, Men! Don't ever say you are a huge advocate of Open Source because you are offending all the rest of us that work -- and not just using it -- with Free and Open Source Software.

And, by the way, PHPList is not Open Source but Free Software. Although [url="http://www.opensource.org/"]some say[/url] that there is no diference many, many, web companies use the expression for their Open Source products.

frankcow wrote:It's just so much easier to go with a paid service in this case, and the reporting is substantially better

I'd rather not have to worry about proper server setup and all those hassles


As someone already told you here, you CAN request paid assistence to install your system AND EVEN to put your server in order if your hoster do not know how to do it. For less than six months at $150 each on CC you could contribute to the development of PHPList and put your money where you put your mouth. Jeesus!

How I love this Free Software (or Open Source) Evangelists. When its free its fine but when they don't like and decide to pay for a better solution INSTEAD of paying to the team that develop the FREE and GRATIS product to do what they would like the system to do do they contribute...
No! It is time to go to a PAYED service. Much better. Closed source, naturaly.

Lopo
PS: My english is bad but I bet your portuguese is worst ;)
humaneasy
phpLister
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 12:56am, Sat 23 Apr, 2005

Re: I'm so fed up with this guys :(

Postby frankcow » 1:02pm, Tue 14 Aug, 2007

humaneasy wrote:You choose the right option. Hosted. Completely closed. Not even knowing what the hell the company does with your records. And if they bankrupted?

They provide a legal NDA, I think the records are safe. And what does your hosting company do with the records that reside in your MySQL database?????

And I'm pretty sure that the world's largest ESP won't be bankrupted for a while!!!

humaneasy wrote:This guy is unbelievable or what?

Oh, Men! Don't ever say you are a huge advocate of Open Source because you are offending all the rest of us that work -- and not just using it -- with Free and Open Source Software.

Well, I do happen to have build many Open Source components and plugins for Joomla and WordPress. But I'm sorry for offending you. Maybe you take offense too easily??

humaneasy wrote:As someone already told you here, you CAN request paid assistence to install your system AND EVEN to put your server in order if your hoster do not know how to do it. For less than six months at $150 each on CC you could contribute to the development of PHPList and put your money where you put your mouth. Jeesus!


I'd rather just pay the monthly fee for a system that works well, thank you very much.
frankcow
phpLister
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 7:08pm, Fri 12 Aug, 2005


Return to Community

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests