Limit sending to no more than 100 emails per hour

Start here! No need to ask twice :)

Limit sending to no more than 100 emails per hour

Postby quieroflores » 6:14pm, Thu 23 Feb, 2006

I have 17k email addresses

My acount was suspended with my hosting provider die to sending more than 200 emails per hour.

How can I make php list send only 100 or 150 emails every 60 minutes?

I could not find this anywhere in the admin config.

please help. thanks. :?
quieroflores
phpList newbie

Postby Lollypop » 6:42pm, Thu 23 Feb, 2006

Hi
As far as I can see this can be set in the config.php file, in the 'Miscellaneous' section

# batch processing
# if you are on a shared host, it will probably be appreciated if you don't send
# out loads of emails in one go. To do this, you can configure batch processing.
# Please note, the following two values can be overridden by your ISP by using
# a server wide configuration. So if you notice these values to be different
# in reality, that may be the case

# define the amount of emails you want to send per period. If 0, batch processing
# is disabled and messages are sent out as fast as possible
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",0);

# define the length of one batch processing period, in seconds (3600 is an hour)
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",3600);

I'm new to all this too, but I am guessing this is what you need to look at changing!!

Good luck, hope it helps
Lollypop
phpLister

Postby quieroflores » 6:52pm, Thu 23 Feb, 2006

Thanks I am seting that already it is just what i need 50 emails pero hour is great. :-)
quieroflores
phpList newbie

Postby Lollypop » 6:57pm, Thu 23 Feb, 2006

No worries. Glad it helped.

While you're around can I ask you if you can help me at all please!

When I go into 'Send a Message' if I try to add a smiley to my message the smiley pop up box doesn't open up enough; or have a scroll bar to be able to view all the smilies.

Does this happen on your 'Send a message' too? I'm not sure if maybe I have inadvertantly changed something somewhere to make this happen!!

Thanks
Lollypop
phpLister

Postby patrick101 » 6:26pm, Tue 21 Mar, 2006

I also use this method to send 150 emails an hour. But this has highlighted a futher problem.

The screen says that I am not to refresh the page or processing will begin again from the beginning. I therefore leave the page to get on with it. Trouble is my login times out and I get left with the log in page instead of the processing page. Presumably when I log in again, processing carries on from where it left off??

I would like to be able to leave my PC (overnight) in the knowledge that it is getting on with the job. Is there a way of increasing the timeout for the log in??? This would help no end.

Alternatively, is there a way of flushing out all the unsent emails without risking starting the whole process from the beginning?

I am finding that due to timeouts, some emails get left behind. Then when I send a new email, some of the previous messages get sent in that batch but by this time they are old and irrelavent!

Sorry to waffle. Any help appreciated.

Patrick
patrick101
PL Nut

Re: Log in timing out during batch sending

Postby rob1951 » 10:39am, Wed 05 Apr, 2006

patrick101 wrote:I also use this method to send 150 emails an hour. But this has highlighted a futher problem.

The screen says that I am not to refresh the page or processing will begin again from the beginning. I therefore leave the page to get on with it. Trouble is my login times out and I get left with the log in page instead of the processing page.

I think something like this might work (I'm not (yet)) a user of phplist so you'll have to use your own initiative to find where to insert the modification and there may be other issues to worry about...

If you include this php code:

header("HTTP/1.1 200 OK");
header("Content-Length: 0");
flush();

at the appropriate place in the "processing" script it should detatch the program from the browser, I have another program that runs like this forever (wakes up every few minutes to check a website on another server is responding).

It does have the problem that if there's a bug and the program gets into a loop you don't have an active control interface, you have to telnet to the server, locate the task and kill it.

A simpler option might be to send a batch of one message every 24 seconds (=150/hour) using the parameters discussed earlier in this thread:

# define the amount of emails you want to send per period.
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",1);

# define the length of one batch processing period, in seconds
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",24);
rob1951
phpList newbie

Postby patrick101 » 6:27pm, Sun 23 Apr, 2006

Hi,

thanks for that.

I kind of like the idea of making the process independent from my web browser. I wonder if a PHP list expert could suggest exactly where I should insert your code (I dont want to break anything!) And yes, I take the point about no longer being in control of the process if something should go wrong :-(

I'm always a fan of simpler ideas! I could easily impliment your second suggestion. I am just wondering how it would help - presumably with an email going out every 24secs, the login would not time out??

thanks again

Patrick
patrick101
PL Nut

Re: send 100 emails per hour

Postby jbottero » 8:25pm, Mon 26 Jun, 2006

quieroflores wrote:I have 17k email addresses

My acount was suspended with my hosting provider die to sending more than 200 emails per hour.

How can I make php list send only 100 or 150 emails every 60 minutes?

You do realize that at 100 per hour, 17,000 will take you 170 hours, or a little over 7 days? That's a long time to be sending out a single newsletter...

I would consider finding an ISP without that restriction...
jbottero
phpList newbie

Separating mailing list management and sending emails

Postby biyer » 10:44pm, Sat 08 Jul, 2006

I find phplist features like double opt-in, customised templates etc very useful for allowing users to subscribe/unsubscribe to multiple mailing lists.

However reading through discussions on this board, I find that sending mails to a big mailing list like 10k users is still an issue specially for people who do not have a dedicated server.

Has anyone tried to use any bulk emailer which handles it better? One option still open to us is to export the email list (csv or any other format) and import it in the bulk emailer to send emails. If you follow this method, you will still be using phplist for your mailing list management but using another 3rd party software for sending out the mails.

any ideas?
biyer
phpList newbie

Postby richardj » 8:03am, Fri 11 Aug, 2006

Biyer's point is very valid and an important question. I dont have shell access so I dont know how I can run a cron job. I have two questions:

1) Is there a way of using your own smtp server that does not have any restrictions on the amounts of emails sent?
2) What would be the simplest and best way to run phplist in the background without having to wait for the screen to refresh and send out the next batch every hour?
richardj
phpList newbie

Postby patrick101 » 7:32pm, Mon 18 Sep, 2006

Well... I'm still babysitting my mailouts :(

I took the advice above and now send 3 emails a minute instead of the 150/hour that I was doing. The webpage STILL times out to the login page.

I dont understand cron jobs so unless someone provides a step-by-step answer then I'm stuffed.

I really think this issue is fundermental to a sucessful mailing list. I cant believe that it needs to be fixed with cron jobs rather than working properly by default.

Or have I missed something very obvious?

Patrick
patrick101
PL Nut

Problem with MASS MAIL

Postby sureTmack » 11:46pm, Mon 25 Sep, 2006

Ok, How does BATCH process work.

Does the Browser have to stay open if I am emailing 1700 emails. When I set the job to work. It doesn't send to all the emails, and my other BATCH said it sent out but never got sent correctly.........What would be the problem for this
sureTmack
phpList newbie

Postby KG1228 » 9:43pm, Sun 15 Oct, 2006

I found an explanation for setting up e-mail sends in FAQ's. So, I need to get to config.php to set up an e-mail send limited to 250 per hour. I found the following in FAQ's -
Q: Where is file 'config.php'?
A: You need access to the files on your server (via FTP or SSH for example) to modify the config.php file. Typically it's found at '/public_html/lists/config/config.php'. You cannot access it with your web browser.

Knowing nothing about FTP's or SSH's, how do I find/use them to get to my server?
KG1228
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 2:41am, Fri 20 Oct, 2006

KG1228 wrote:Knowing nothing about FTP's or SSH's, how do I find/use them to get to my server?
I think it's easier to use FTP. You can download an FTP client like Filezilla, which will allow you to copy files from your server, edit them in a plain text editor (like Notepad), and copy them back.

Of course you should always keep a backup copy of the original file safely on your computer.

An SSH client like puTTY, gives you acccess to the command line prompt (much like the DOS command prompt). You can enter specific commands, but this requieres some basic knowledge of the command set you can use.

Both methods are quite powerful, so be sure you know how to wield that power.
H2B2

Postby jojomojo » 10:03pm, Sat 09 Dec, 2006

BUGabundo wrote:i use this and works just fine

curl 'http://MYDOMAIN/lists/admin/index.php?page=processqueue&login=USERADMIN&password=MYPASSWORD' > /dev/null

just set a cron to run whenever u want.
I ran mine every hour

So... please forgive my ignorance... what does this do?

My understanding is that with longer mailing lists (I have 3000 users on my list)the processqueue page times out before the whole list can be sent.

The above command... does it mean that I set up everything within phplist... the message, the choice of list and so on, and save everything... then instead of processing the queue from the link on the web page, I fire up the cron? Is that the idea? And does the whole send get done independently of the browser? And would I only have to fire it up once, since there's no browser to be timed out?

I may have the totally wrong idea here... and if I have, please set me straight!

Thanks,
jojomojo
jojomojo
phpLister

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions