How does one enable "instantiate mail function?"

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Have you been experiencing the "instantiate" error message in your eventlog?

Poll ended at 6:29am, Wed 22 Nov, 2006

yes
No votes
no
100%

Total votes : 1

How does one enable "instantiate mail function?"

Postby ehunting » 6:29am, Mon 23 Oct, 2006

When a subscriber clicks on the subscribe button to sign up for newsletters via the subscribe panel, the subscriber is not taken to the Thank you page. Instead, the subscriber gets the message with the message: "Sorry, sending the email to request your confirmation failed, please click "Reload" to try again. If it still does not work, it may be because you are listed on our "Black List", which means that you cannot receive emails from our newsletter system. In that case, please contact the administrator."

The subscriber does appear in the users list and the mailing list member list but the subscriber cannot confirm the subscription request because do get an email requesting confirmation.

The eventlog shows, "subscribe"... "Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: instantiate."

Likewise, when sending messages via processqueue, the message will not send and the eventlog shows, "processqueue"... "Mailer Error: Could not instantiate mail function."

Obviously, the problem here is that the mail function does not instantiate. Is this a phplist configuration malfunction, or a MySQL database malfunction? Either way, how does one resolve the issue?
ehunting
PL Nut

What I found in the forum to try to fix. “Mailer Error."

Postby ehunting » 6:32pm, Mon 23 Oct, 2006

Here are the recommendations I have found in the forum to fix “Mailer Error: Could not instantiate mail function” and/or “Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: instantiate.”

(1) IN CLASS.PHPLISTMAILER:PHP LINE #4

change this:

require( $GLOBALS"coderoot"] . "phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php");

to

require( $GLOBALS["coderoot"] . "/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php");

I cannot find the line “require( $GLOBALS"coderoot"] . "phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php"); “ in CLASS.PHPLISTMAILER:PHP.

Can you show me exactly where I can find the line?

(2) add the following to line 24 of /admin/class.phplistmailer.php:

parent::SetLanguage('en','phpmailer/language/');

Is the item below “line 24 of /admin/class.phplistmailer.php?”

/**
* Holds the most recent mailer error message.
* @var string
*/
var $ErrorInfo = "";

If so, then do I insert “parent::SetLanguage('en','phpmailer/language/');” between the parenthesis, or just tack it onto the end of var $ErrorInfo = ""; ?

Can you provide an example?

(3) in class.phpmailer.php try changing

/**
* Method to send mail: ("mail", "sendmail", or "smtp").
* @var string
*/
var $Mailer = "mail";

to

/**
* Method to send mail: ("mail", "sendmail", or "smtp").
* @var string
*/
var $Mailer = "sendmail";

Where I could find the lines that I believe were referred to, I have tried all the fixes but none have worked. Any other suggestions, please?
ehunting
PL Nut

Postby H2B2 » 12:13am, Tue 24 Oct, 2006

An effective way (IMO) to search both the forum and the bugtracker in one go, is using Google. In this case you might try this search string: site:phplist.com Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: instantiate

One of the possible fixes you will find is this one: http://www.mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=6331

But I'm sure there are more posts or reports that might help you fix the problem.
H2B2

Postby ehunting » 10:49pm, Mon 30 Oct, 2006

Would believe?! Woke up Saturday am, 10-28-06, and all, except link in confirmation request page, was working just fine, and I had not changed anything. Wierd!

Now I can't get the link to confirm subscription in the confirmation page to work. See next post "Subscriber confirmation link doesn't execute."
ehunting
PL Nut

Postby maxmax » 4:32pm, Fri 24 Nov, 2006

:( :( :( :(

Sorry...

But I must escape from this script to save me. I have tried everything I can do and I lost 3 days to put it up.

I have tried your tips
I have tried your suggestions
I have tried and changed the code

It doesn't work. Nothing to do for me, I am crazy now.

I try every day to send test messages to 2 confirmed customers but the Phplist says: "message failed".
I am too stupid to change the code, but it never works for me.

Sorry but I am very crazy and tired to fix after fix and after fix...
It can't works. Period.

Thanks again for your help, but it was useless for my copy of Phplist.
maxmax
phpList newbie

Postby soulbrew » 6:12pm, Mon 11 Dec, 2006

Hello everybody,

I've got the same problem. I've read all the relevant topics and bug-tracking issues but I am still stuck.
This is what is running on my HD - I run my mailing list locally.

* Apache 2.0.59
* PHP 5.2.0
* Mysql 5.0.27
* SQLite 3.3.8
* PhpMyAdmin 2.9.1.1
* SQLiteManager 1.2.0
* ZendOptimizer 3.2.0
* PHPList version 2.10.3

I've messed around with both /admin/class.phplistmailer.php and /admin/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php and even got as far as fiddling with class.smtp.php to no avail... Trieds all the line 4/24/109 hacks, no nothing!

I'm not positive if there's a sendmail 'service' installed on my Apache though....

Thanks for reading,

Marco
soulbrew
phpList newbie

Return to Question & Problems - after installing