[solved] Have to login for every admin page loading

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

[solved] Have to login for every admin page loading

Postby panhead » 7:21pm, Wed 31 Jan, 2007

Suddenly I have to login everytime I go another page/function within phplist [i]after I already logged in[/i] as administrator. For instance after logging in I want to edit a list, click on list and must login again.
What is going wrong?
panhead
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 8:12pm, Wed 31 Jan, 2007

You might take a look at the FAQs: http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistFAQ , in particular "Why does PHPlist ask me to login for every admin page I try to load?"
H2B2

Login required for every page

Postby dish » 9:24pm, Wed 31 Jan, 2007

Hey H2B2, I'm having a similar problem. I get a log in window for every page. When I try to edit anything it keeps sending me back to the log in page for that module.

This is a new installation and the server administrators are resetting to PHP INI magic_quotes_gpc=ON.

I tried to find an answer in the forum and when I clicke on the link you provided (http://docs.phplist.com/PhplistFAQ} I get a "page cannot be displayed error.

Any help?

Dish
dish
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 11:18pm, Wed 31 Jan, 2007

This is that particular FAQ:
# Why does PHPlist ask me to login for every admin page I try to load?

* The temporary directory on your server doesn't have read/write permissions. Please make sure that it does have read/write permissions.
* The temporary directory has filled up with temporary files, and PHPlist is unable to write to it. You can fix this by cleaning up your temp dir.
* You are connecting through multiple proxies and this means that your IP address isn't the same for every page request. You can solve this in config.php, by setting define("CHECK_SESSIONIP",0);
* Alternatively, you can store sessions in the database instead of the default place by assigning a tablename to this value. Enable this setting in config.php: $SessionTableName = "phplistsessions"; by uncommenting this line. The table will be created and will not use any prefixes. This only works when using mySQL and only for administrator sessions.

I saw another post mentioning that the online docs wouln't load. Not sure about what causes this. That user more or less solved this by using google cache to view those documentation pages.
H2B2

Postby michiel » 11:54pm, Wed 31 Jan, 2007

Yes, sorry, the docs server was in a bit of trouble. Hopefully it's ok again.
michiel
Admin

Postby sunriseal » 11:17pm, Thu 01 Feb, 2007

michiel wrote:Yes, sorry, the docs server was in a bit of trouble. Hopefully it's ok again.

Been having problems with the doc server for a few days now... just tried again with IE7 and can not get there... it DOES work with FireFox
sunriseal
PL Nut

Still not working

Postby leekangkoog » 10:47am, Sun 04 Feb, 2007

H2B2 wrote:You might take a look at the FAQs: PhplistFAQ , in particular "Why does PHPlist ask me to login for every admin page I try to load?"

Hi,

I followed the directions in the FAQ but I still get prompted for login on every page.

- /tmp has read/write access
- /tmp has no files
- session check setting is changed to 0 in config.php

Anything else I can try?

Thanks.
leekangkoog
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 10:53am, Sun 04 Feb, 2007

You could try this:
Alternatively, you can store sessions in the database instead of the default place by assigning a tablename to this value. Enable this setting in config.php: $SessionTableName = "phplistsessions"; by uncommenting this line. The table will be created and will not use any prefixes. This only works when using mySQL and only for administrator sessions.
H2B2

Postby leekangkoog » 11:11am, Sun 04 Feb, 2007

H2B2 wrote:You could try this:
Alternatively, you can store sessions in the database instead of the default place by assigning a tablename to this value. Enable this setting in config.php: $SessionTableName = "phplistsessions"; by uncommenting this line. The table will be created and will not use any prefixes. This only works when using mySQL and only for administrator sessions.

That did the trick. That'll teach me to follow the directions all the way through next time. Thanks!
leekangkoog
phpList newbie

Postby panhead » 11:07am, Tue 06 Feb, 2007

It appeared to be a database problem (solved now)
panhead
phpList newbie

Same problem now fixed

Postby Dar-us-Salam.com » 5:36am, Sat 17 Feb, 2007

Hi, I had the same problem of login at every page. It temporarily fixed it by uncommenting this line # $SessionTableName = "phplistsessions"; in the config file.

But the main problem was that the address to the temporary directory had somehow messed up. I had to spend long hours finding a solution after my hosting company finally made the correction in the php.ini file and now everything is working ok.
Dar-us-Salam.com
phpLister

Postby Mochachino » 3:00am, Sun 25 Mar, 2007

It appeared to be a database problem (solved now)

Hi, I had the same problem of login at every page. It temporarily fixed it by uncommenting this line # $SessionTableName = "phplistsessions"; in the config file.

But the main problem was that the address to the temporary directory had somehow messed up. I had to spend long hours finding a solution after my hosting company finally made the correction in the php.ini file and now everything is working ok.

Hi i'm having the same problem. This causes me ubable to save any changes too!

Panhead...could i know what have you done to solve this problem?

Dar-us-Salam.com....what changes have you made to the php.ini file?

Thank you for your sharings!
Mochachino
phpList newbie

Postby Dar-us-Salam.com » 2:03am, Tue 27 Mar, 2007

The php.ini file was not accessible to me so the host made the changes to it. The php.ini file which I modified had no effect on this issue.

You should contact the your host to check if php.ini is pointing to the correct temp directory.

The temp directory has to have some more flexible permissions which are discussed in the help.

The temp directory is mentioned in the config.ini file under these two variables: $attachment_repository and $tmpdir .

Hope it helps.
Dar-us-Salam.com
phpLister

Postby benjibot » 2:48pm, Thu 29 Mar, 2007

I, too, am having this issue. I've checked my php.ini files and the /tmp dir. All of that seems fine. I've also tried storing them in the db, but nothing ever seems to be written there. The table is there, but there's not a single record in it.

I also checked the /tmp dir and I'm seeing an awful lot of 0 byte sessions in there.

Has anyone had to monkey around with the sessionlib.php file to get this working or is there an option in config.php I might have missed?

Here's what I've done to config.php so far:

Changed this line (just in case):
Code: Select all
define("CHECK_SESSIONIP",0); 

Uncommented this line:
Code: Select all
$SessionTableName = "phplistsessions";

Of course, I also changed the settings for MySQL (it has made all of the tables correctly) and bounces as per the instructions.

Finally, here is my PHP info page.

I really, really don't want to turn off admin login (so far the only way I've been able to get anything done). Any suggestions?
benjibot
phpList newbie

Postby benjibot » 11:25am, Fri 30 Mar, 2007

I figured it out! My webhost allows me to choose from a few different versions of PHP. I had picked the most current (they list is as 5.1.2) at first. I noticed in my phpinfo() that what I had set it to was a release candidate, and I didn't like the sounds of that.

So last night I switched over to PHP v 5.0 and waited for the change to take effect. This morning I logged in and everything is working as planned. Apparently there was something wonky in that particular version of PHP v5.1.x.
benjibot
phpList newbie

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks