Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

Discuss, research, share, find, and solve bugs

Postby rkittel » 8:16pm, Sat 03 Mar, 2007

Hello everyone,

i just wanna post this experience here in case someone else encounter a similar problem:

I have installed the phplist on a 1und1 (German provider) webaccount and couldn't send emails:

Code: Select all

However, all the settings seemd fine. Some hours late i found out that the name resolution (DNS) does not work, therefore the smtp server couldn't be found.

I stated the IP address instead the host name and everything runs well. No idea why it is like that.

# To use a SMTP please give your server hostname here, leave it blank to use the standard
# PHP mail() command.
define("PHPMAILERHOST",'212.227.15.167');

# if you want to use smtp authentication when sending the email uncomment the following
# two lines and set the username and password to be the correct ones
$phpmailer_smtpuser = 'noreply@host.de';
$phpmailer_smtppassword = 'pswd';
rkittel
phpList newbie

Postby Hernol » 3:15pm, Mon 05 Mar, 2007

You can make a dnsreport of your host to check the settings http://www.dnsreport.com/
Hernol
Admin

Postby pamperedlist » 5:11pm, Mon 05 Mar, 2007

Is there verificaiton of this behavior, that we need to put the IP address of our mail server into config.php rather than the mail server hostname?

I've been getting a 'data_not_accepted' error, which seems to be related to SMTP (I've read the other forum pages which discuss this, but most of them involve a different error, "instantiate", so aren't much help)

I'm using a dynamic IP, and so if PHPList can't resolve the DNS, I'm in trouble...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Mike
pamperedlist
PL Nut

Postby rkittel » 8:43pm, Mon 05 Mar, 2007

Probably this is a situation caused due to certain configurations of the mailserver. However I tried the DNS report and got an error by the DNS report page.
[ERROR: The parent servers say that the domain smtp.1und1.de does not have any NS records (although they may have some other information on that zone). I can not do a DNS report on a hostname (such as mail.example.com) or a domain name that does not have its own zone.]

But somehow I puzze why a ping command or a mail app can resolve the address?!

The provider is right big so probably that is part of the securtity concept, just a guess.

However, for me it is ok so far, It just took some time to dig for me ...
rkittel
phpList newbie

Postby albert0346 » 6:23am, Wed 26 Sep, 2007

rkittel: I use also 1und1.de and can NOT get PHPLIST 2.10.5 to run properly. There are the following problems:

1. It does NOT use the $message_envelope email address when I send a test email to a nonexisting email address, although it is applied in the email header.

2. There is NO Return-Path in the email header.

3. When I use phpmailer, as you used it, then the same as in 1. and 2. applies. In addition the receiving existing email address is blacklisted after sending one email.

I try now alreay for a couple of days, asking in the forum, asking 1und1, got some info, but nothing helped really. So my last hope is you because you use the same host and PHPLIST runs for you. So could you please give me your config settings, if you like, pm me. This would be great. If I don't get your help I give up with PHPLIST and look for another WORKING solution.

Thanks for your help.

Albert
albert0346
PL Geek

Re: Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

Postby chelsea » 7:23am, Wed 03 Nov, 2010

# To use a SMTP please give your server hostname here, leave it blank to use the standard
# PHP mail() command.
define("PHPMAILERHOST",'212.227.15.167');

# if you want to use smtp authentication when sending the email uncomment the following
# two lines and set the username and password to be the correct ones
$phpmailer_smtpuser = 'noreply@host.de';
$phpmailer_smtppassword = 'pswd';
chelsea
phpList newbie

Postby peterfarrer » 5:36pm, Sun 23 Jan, 2011

Hi everyone, I am a newbee and have been trying to install on 1und1 germany.

I first got phpmailer fully working, then with phplist kept getting SMTP server not found. Reading several posts the IP address seemed to solve the issue; but not for me.

I searched the code and found this commented out line in sendemaillib, line 610.

$mail->add_timestamp();
}
#$mail->IsSMTP();
}

I replaced it with $mail->isSendMail(); and it works like a dream, Ip address now needs just the normal smtp.1und1.de.

define("PHPMAILERHOST",'smtp.1und1.de');
:D

Hope this will get looked at and helps a few people out.
peterfarrer
phpList newbie

Postby jeffwong » 5:03am, Wed 01 Jun, 2011

:D it's work for me too
jeffwong
phpLister

Postby Lontek » 1:43pm, Thu 07 Jul, 2011

Also fixed my problem with Fastmail. :)
Lontek
phpList newbie

Postby LedNick » 10:16am, Thu 11 Aug, 2011

rkittel
nice job done
LedNick
phpList newbie

Return to Bug Discussion