root htaccess rewrite

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

root htaccess rewrite

Postby minxdragon » 12:12pm, Fri 09 Mar, 2007

I've just completed an install of PHPlist, My very last step after configuring, adding users and getting everything ready was to set up an .htaccess redirect to go directly to the subscribe page

- but my root .htaccess file is now locked and all the code I had entered in it (for a gallery mod) has been replaced with phplist code. I can't remove the lock, upload a new file or change the file in any way. this is the contents now:
Code: Select all
DirectoryIndex index.php

<FilesMatch>
Order allow,deny
deny from all
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch>
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</FilesMatch>
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on

is there a way I can get my root htaccess back? it's really critical and seems very odd that it locked the file.
minxdragon
phpLister

Postby Dragonrider » 12:53pm, Fri 09 Mar, 2007

Try CHMODding to 777 You may need to do this via a FTP program, though your webspace host may offer a file manager that would allow you to alter this. Obviously, CHMOD it back to 644 when you are done changing it.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby minxdragon » 1:04pm, Fri 09 Mar, 2007

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to do that, (bit of a n00b, sorry!) I tried changing the permissions through my FTP program (cyberduck) and no dice. in the file list in my console I usually have a check box next to the files that I click to set permissions.. it doesn't have one. it says I'm not the owner - UID and GID are set to root (rather than to me).

I can alter any other .htaccess files, including the one under /lists, but not the one under public_html
minxdragon
phpLister

Postby minxdragon » 1:11pm, Fri 09 Mar, 2007

my .htaccess file in my /lists directory:

Code: Select all
DirectoryIndex index.php

<FilesMatch>
Order allow,deny
deny from all
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch>
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</FilesMatch>
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on
minxdragon
phpLister

Postby minxdragon » 1:49am, Sat 10 Mar, 2007

Is there a setting in config.php or in the lists/.htaccess that might remove this lock? even if I have to reinstall can I prevent it somehow or change it? I have found no information in the documentation or the forums on locked .htaccess files.

my site is limping along and I really need to fix this.
minxdragon
phpLister

Postby minxdragon » 2:15am, Sat 10 Mar, 2007

if it helps, it's been locked in the exact same way that index.html has been locked - and at the same time. I think that it's definitely linked.

I wonder if this provides some clue... it's from the security readme.

Make sure the .htaccess files in the different directories of PHPlist (particularly "admin", "commonlib" and others, are active. Some server settings do not allow overriding some of the Apache directives we have put in there, which means the files are not parsed. The access files are designed to only allow access to the "index.php" file in the admin directory and nothing else. Particularly no php file should be accessible. Images and Stylesheets may still be accessible. Unfortunately some ISPs do not allow uploading .htaccess files via FTP, so this may not be available.

tried CHMODing in different ways, none have worked. I would really appreciate any ideas you may have.
minxdragon
phpLister

Return to Question & Problems - after installing