Hotmail bounces my message - 550 Requested action not taken

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

Hotmail bounces my message - 550 Requested action not taken

Postby P9Griffitts » 5:11pm, Sun 13 May, 2007

550 Requested action not taken: Hotmail what gives
I have config set to send 50 emails every 900 seconds and manual process queue lots of this error on bounce what is Hotmail saying?
P9Griffitts
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 8:50pm, Sun 13 May, 2007

That depends partly on the reason given after the colon, e.g.:
550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
550 Requested action not taken: message refused
550 Requested action not taken: DNS failure
etc.

One of the most common bounce reasons given is "550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable".
The interpretation of these messages is not always straightforward. In the case of Hotmail it could mean the user's mailbox doesn't exist anymore, or that the mailbox was temporary unavailable due to a technical error. It might in some cases also mean something else, as explained in the following article:
Hotmail Has Many, Many Spamtraps

Ben Isaacson of ESPC/Experian/CheetahMail fame mentioned something very interesting at last month's Inbox/Outbox conflab. Microsoft has an interesting way of building spamtraps to catch unwary spammers and idiot direct marketers.

Hotmail accounts expire after six months of disuse. This happens often -- people sign up for an account and then soon stop using it. For example because they think they need one to use the MSN Messenger IM system, or because they're using it temporarily as a throwaway address (to give to vendors they don't trust).

Once a Hotmail account expires, mail sent to it will be rejected, normally with 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable. After a further 6 months (i.e. one year of disuse), the mailbox may be treated as a spamtrap. This means that email sent to old Hotmail addresses may be used as samples to help train spam filters for Hotmail, MSN, FrontBridge, the Outlook Junk filter, etc.

What does this mean for legitimate marketers? It's now more important than ever to detect and eliminate bounces from your lists. If a receiving mail system consistently tells you that an address is bad, remove that entry from your lists. If you don't, your IP range can be blacklisted and/or your message content will seem more "spammy." Of course, this means that your messages are more likely to end up not being delivered to your users.

It used to be simply bad manners for a sender to continually send mail to nonexistant addresses, but now it's actually self-destructive.

Source: http://richi.co.uk/blog/2006/07/hotmail ... traps.html
H2B2

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks