[fixed] FCKeditor - No content area on message content tab

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

[fixed] FCKeditor - No content area on message content tab

Postby knuckle34 » 3:13am, Thu 27 Sep, 2007

Hi. My first post here although I have spent many hours sifting through the posts for help. A lot has been answered...and most importantly I got phplist to work...except...

I tried to send an email. On the page that appears, I have no content box. There is only the following:

under the tabs...

subject
from line

then after scrolling down a blank page to...

message footer

...and then the rest is unsubscribe links and a send message button.

I couldn't add a template because of the same problem.

Can anyone help? Would a screen shot help?

Boggled and not very knowledgeable about php.
Erick.
knuckle34
phpList newbie

Postby knuckle34 » 3:22am, Thu 27 Sep, 2007

I have checked both firefox and internet explorer and they both display the page without the content or message area.

To make this clear, the message area where you would type a message is just not there. There is no where to place your mouse or click to begin typing. There is a large blank white space but no box.

I am not sure but I will post a pic...I might not be able to though till I have a certain number of posts.

...I wasn't able to add the pic.
knuckle34
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 4:09am, Thu 27 Sep, 2007

It might be FCKeditor's configuration playing up. You could disable FCKeditor in config.php and see if the textbox area appears.
H2B2

Postby paulbeaney » 9:47am, Thu 27 Sep, 2007

Hi,

I have had this problem on every phpList instllation I have done. It stems from lines 588 to 590 in admin/fckphplist.php - the <? ?> bits in FCKConfig.ProtectedSource.Add confuse PHP and make it fail to load the script. Delete those lines and it should come good.

Regards,

- Paul
paulbeaney
phpList newbie

Postby knuckle34 » 6:56pm, Thu 27 Sep, 2007

Here is what I found in admin/fckphplist.php...

line 586 // FCKConfig.Plugins.Add( 'autogrow' ) ;
line 587 FCKConfig.AutoGrowMax = 400 ;
line 588
line 589 // FCKConfig.ProtectedSource.Add( /<%[\s\S]*?%>/g ) ; // ASP style server side code <%...%>
line 590 // FCKConfig.ProtectedSource.Add( /<\?[\s\S]*?\?>/g ) ; // PHP style server side code
line 591 // FCKConfig.ProtectedSource.Add( /(<asp:[^\>]+>[\s|\S]*?<\/asp:[^\>]+>)|(<asp:[^\>]+\/>)/gi ) ; // ASP.Net style tags <asp:control>

I guess I will experiment and remove those lines as you suggest. Or did you mean to only remove certain portions of each line?
knuckle34
phpList newbie

Postby knuckle34 » 7:50pm, Thu 27 Sep, 2007

The phplist.php file was not the problem.

As H2B2 suggested, turning the fckeditor off worked.

For those that encounter this problem, go to your config.php file on line

line 495 # the FCKeditor is now included in PHPlist, but the use of it is experimental
line 496 # if it's not working for you, set this to 0
line 497 # NOTE: If you enable TinyMCE please disable FCKeditor and vice-versa.
line 498 define("USEFCK",0);

...set line 498 to "0" as I have above.

Problem fixed.
Thanks for the help!

keywords for future searchers, content message missing, unable to access content in send an email function

It was hard to find anything related to this by searching through the forum, so I hope the moderators don't mind that I added a few keywords to bring it up.

Cheers!
Erick
knuckle34
phpList newbie

Gleiches Problem - kein Content Eingabefeld

Postby stevoh » 9:50am, Fri 28 Sep, 2007

Hallo,

ich hatte das Selbe Problem, konnt es aber auch lösen, ohne den FCK zu deaktivieren...

Man muss das übersetzte <? ?> Bit ändern:

Code: Select all
// FCKConfig.ProtectedSource.Add( /[\s\S]*?/g ) ; // ASP style server side code
// FCKConfig.ProtectedSource.Add( /[\s\S]*?/g ) ; // PHP style server side code
// FCKConfig.ProtectedSource.Add( /(<asp>]+>[\s|\S]*?</asp>]+>)|(<asp>]+\/>)/gi ) ;  // ASP.Net style tags <asp>

hier heißen die <und>

-------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem and you have to delete the <% %> bits, that are translated <? ?> bits, i think

Thanks a lot
stevoh
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 11:34am, Fri 28 Sep, 2007

paulbeaney wrote:I have had this problem on every phpList instllation I have done. It stems from lines 588 to 590 in admin/fckphplist.php - the <? ?> bits in FCKConfig.ProtectedSource.Add confuse PHP and make it fail to load the script. Delete those lines and it should come good.

stevoh wrote:I had the same problem and you have to delete the <% %> bits, that are translated <? ?> bits, i think

Interesting find! Might be useful to let the phplist developers know about this.

Considering that most phplist users do not seem to have any problem with this commented code fragment, I guess it is important to know what exactly is causing it to become a problem on some server setups, e.g.: what version of PHP are you all running on your server? Anything else that might help explain the occurrence of this issue on some servers?

Could one of you file a bug report in the tracker, including the above information, and a link to this thread at http://mantis.phplist.com/ ?
Thanks!
H2B2

Postby paulbeaney » 6:17am, Tue 02 Oct, 2007

knuckle34 wrote:I will experiment and remove those lines as you suggest. Or did you mean to only remove certain portions of each line?

Hi,

Just that one line should do it. Would I be right in thinking you have:

asp_tags = On

somewhere in your PHP.ini? This is what I think causes the problem, and as it is a non-standard PHP setting that would explain why this problem isn't more widely encountered than it is.

Regards,

- Paul
paulbeaney
phpList newbie

Postby paulbeaney » 6:19am, Tue 02 Oct, 2007

H2B2 wrote:Could one of you file a bug report in the tracker, including the above information, and a link to this thread at http://mantis.phplist.com/ ?

Done!

Regards,

- Paul :P
paulbeaney
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 9:32pm, Thu 11 Oct, 2007

Another possible fix when having trouble with FCKeditor:
primebus wrote:I then discovered that the fckeditor wasnt working which i solved by doing the following:

i opened fckeditor.html in my texteditor, trying to sort out the problem... (/lists/admin/FCKeditor/editor)

at line 48 - 50 you will find the following code..

Code:

// Base configuration file.
//LoadScript( '../fckconfig.js' ) ;
LoadScript( '../../?page=fckphplist&action=js3' ) ;

If you comment the 2nd Loadscript line and uncomment the 1st the editor will work.
Ref : http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=30998#30998
H2B2

simple solution

Postby gmfnem » 7:36pm, Wed 21 May, 2008

as someone stated in a previous reply, the problem is asp_tags = On
if you change it and put
asp_tags = Off
and restart your webserver problem solved.
gmfnem
phpList newbie

Postby Edtek » 3:37am, Mon 30 Jun, 2008

Thanks. The editor was causing some issues for me as well, but turning it off solved the problem.
Edtek
phpLister

Postby arkad » 8:43pm, Tue 23 Sep, 2008

This worked immediately!! 3 Cheers H2B2 and primebus!!

The problem I think initiated when I set my PHP to PHP5 and then back again .. was using dot5hosting.com .. really uncomfortable with their control panel .. a lot of weird seemed to happen along the way ..

H2B2 wrote:Another possible fix when having trouble with FCKeditor:
primebus wrote:I then discovered that the fckeditor wasnt working which i solved by doing the following:

i opened fckeditor.html in my texteditor, trying to sort out the problem... (/lists/admin/FCKeditor/editor)

at line 48 - 50 you will find the following code..

Code:

// Base configuration file.
//LoadScript( '../fckconfig.js' ) ;
LoadScript( '../../?page=fckphplist&action=js3' ) ;

If you comment the 2nd Loadscript line and uncomment the 1st the editor will work.
Ref : http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=30998#30998
arkad
PL Nut

Postby Guest » 8:05pm, Fri 17 Oct, 2008

Thanks for the great tip! This simple fix brought the editor up for me. I appreciate that.

Next

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks