Simplified Interface

Technical discussion for developers and service providers

Simplified Interface

Postby allwebnow » 3:01pm, Thu 24 Apr, 2008

When looking at other newsletter services like Constant contact and the like, I notice that their interface/dashboard is extremely simple. Could the developers of phplist consider working towards the same simplicity with phplist's dashboard? For instance, when admin logs in, they could maybe see just these options with nice icons next to them:

1. Manage Account

2. Manage users

3. Compose & Send messages

Then under each of these would be a sub category with all the appropriate info. ie.

1. Manage Account
>> Tables - "Administrator functions", "Configuration Functions", "System Functions"

2. Manage Users
>> Table - "List and user functions"

3. Compose & Send messages
>> Table - "Message functions"

I have a custom screenshot but it's not attaching for some reason and I can't post a u-r-l so...whatever.... If you want the psd to use, let me know. I'll send it over.
allwebnow
PL Nut

Postby J_S » 1:54pm, Fri 25 Apr, 2008

not a bad idea
J_S
Admin

Postby allwebnow » 2:10pm, Fri 25 Apr, 2008

Cool!

2 reasons it would be good for phplist devs to work on this is so advanced phplist users like myself and many others wouldn't have to customize on their end and then have to re-customize after an update. I've tried this before and it's a real pain after an update to have to go in and re-design everything, so I've just stuck with the current layout and just grew accustom to it myself.

And second reason is because, showing phplist to my other clients that have used constant contact, they get kinda confused with phplist's layout and just turn back to constant contact or other's like it.

Soon, i'll be able to post my rough layout design if you'd like.
allwebnow
PL Nut

Postby J_S » 2:14pm, Fri 25 Apr, 2008

great!
I'd love to see that layout...
J_S
Admin

Postby allwebnow » 2:21pm, Fri 25 Apr, 2008

I'm new here so it's not letting me do anything.
Here's the u-r-l

allwebnow dot com slash dashboard.gif
allwebnow
PL Nut

Postby allwebnow » 2:42pm, Fri 25 Apr, 2008

I was thinking that when you click on one of the icons, there could be a quick ajax dropdown rollout function (or simple iframe) to have the sub-tables under the icon appear immediatly.
allwebnow
PL Nut

Postby luuuciano » 1:59am, Tue 29 Apr, 2008

this looks very nice...
luuuciano
PL Freak!

Postby allwebnow » 2:13am, Tue 29 Apr, 2008

Hey thanks luuuciano!

Julian, what do you think? It's nothing final, just a start to get things moving if more people are interested in it.
allwebnow
PL Nut

Postby luuuciano » 2:55am, Tue 29 Apr, 2008

it would be very nice a template system or something... so people can make their own admin, as they need it, or their customers need it

but well, I think thats very complicated to achieve... right?
luuuciano
PL Freak!

Postby luuuciano » 2:57am, Tue 29 Apr, 2008

it would be very nice a template system or something... so people can make their own admin, as they need it, or their customers need it

but well, I think thats very complicated to achieve... right?
luuuciano
PL Freak!

Postby allwebnow » 3:05am, Tue 29 Apr, 2008

I think having a dynamic editable admin interface would be very difficult to acheive. But just making the interface a little simpler so new comers can "Get it" should be a very easy task.
allwebnow
PL Nut

Postby J_S » 12:15pm, Tue 29 Apr, 2008

This is great. It is very easy to understand at first glance.
The only thing they see in here as a drawback is that, although using icons is clearer, it really is a disadvantage for translation purposes. It is much easier to keep it on plain text to make it more easy to adjust to everyone.
J_S
Admin

Postby allwebnow » 12:25pm, Tue 29 Apr, 2008

True,

However you could maybe go 3 routes that would fix this.

1. have floating dynamic css text over the icons that can be editable by language.

2. load different language icons versions once language is changed.

3. Have the icons be in flash tied to an xml file and dynamically driven to change once the language is changed.
allwebnow
PL Nut

Postby allwebnow » 2:48pm, Sun 14 Sep, 2008

has any further thought gone into doing an admin interface facelift?
allwebnow
PL Nut

Postby bobthebob01 » 11:44am, Fri 02 Jan, 2009

hi,

i also agree in the fact that the interface is not the best we've seen (i'm not here to bash anybody, continue reading please), which is a bit sad as phplist is really great. But i also don't find it user friendly and when showing it to client or people to use they get scared a bit (you know how non-tech people are !!!!).
So a nice GUI would make it a real killer app.

I tried to create my own template, but it seems quite hard to make everything work.

Is phplist gonna work on a template system for the admin panel.

i have looked around and could not find any proper doc on what files to modify to customize the template.

Anybody could point me the right direction, i'll be more than happy to work on something.

cheers
bobthebob01
phpList newbie

Return to Developers Space