[how to] Newbie install quickguide

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

[how to] Newbie install quickguide

Postby reetep » 10:22pm, Fri 15 Oct, 2004

Newbie install quickguide

INTRODUCTION:

The following is based on my install of version 2.8.11 on a debian testing machine (15 Oct 04) . I assume you have root access, can use apt-get and read/edit text files. I've no idea whether this is the correct way to install the system - I fumbled my way through in the best way I could guess how, correcting errors as I went along, the best I could.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
To meet the system requirements as described on the phplist website do

Code: Select all
apt-get install php4 apache myqsl-server mysql-doc php4-mysql

Note that mysql-doc exists in the non-free branch of apt, so if you get an error about that package being missing you need to edit your sources.list accordingly and update.

You will be asked about using suExec for running cgi scripts in apache. If you know what this means, you can choose what you like, otherwise accept the default of NO.

CONFIGURING APACHE:

Apache worked out of the box (so to speak) for me, the only thing I recommend you change is the following in your httpd.conf (found in /etc/apache in Debain):

DirectoryIndex  index.html index.htm index.shtml index.cgi index.php

to

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml index.cgi</i>

ie bring index.php before index.html

CONFIGURING MYSQL-SERVER:

I recommend you read /usr/share/doc/mysql-server/README.Debian
If you're impatient, you'll get away with doing the minimum of setting the password for mysql, and creating another user account. The mysql root account is a completely different account to the system root account, and can have a different password. Set the root password as follows:

mysqladmin -u root password yourpassword

If your distribution already sets a default root password you will have to add that to gain authority to set your own:

mysqladmin -u root -pcurrentpass password yourpass

where "currentpass" is the default password set by your distro. Note there is no space between the -p option and "currentpass''

Next create a user account/password and a database on mysql. You can either use the defaults given in the lists/config/config.php file of the phplist tree or you can insert your own. I strongly suggest you choose your own password and perhaps username too. Either way, you need to make sure that the username and passwords match in the config.php file and the ones you are about to create. If you want to accept the defaults use username=phplist and password=phplist databasename=phplistdb.

To create the account, log into mysql as follows:
mysql -u root -pyourpass mysql

Then type

mysql>GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP
-->ON phplistdb.*
-->TO 'phplist'@'localhost'
-->IDENTIFIED BY 'phplist';

Note the need for a semi colon on the last line and not on any other. Pay careful attention to the quotation marks around 'localhost' etc.

Now create the database as follows:

mysql>CREATE DATABASE phplistdb;

and select it for use:

mysql>USE phplistdb;

INSTALLING PHPLIST:

Get the latest stable version, put it in /tmp and do:

tar xzf phplist-2.8.11.tgz
cp phplist-2.8.11/public_html/* /var/www/

where it is assumed that your apache dishes out web pages from /var/www. This may differ according to your distribution. You can check by searching for the line

DocumentRoot /var/www

in your httpd.conf file (found in /etc/apache in Debian).

I advise you to then edit /var/www/lists/config/config.php to change the username and password. Note that this has to match the username and password you gave in mysql above.

CONFIGURING PHPLIST:

Here-onward it gets easier. Goto http://localhost/lists/admin/ in your web-browser. You'll get a minor error message about not having initialised your database. Just click 'initialise' as it suggests and continue. Phplist will then walk you through an initial setup.

Note: if you get lost in the inital setup and want to return to the checklist, click 'mainpage' in the bar on the right and then 'setup' (first item on resulting page).
reetep
phpList newbie

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks