Text Version of Message is Missing Part of the Text

Discuss, research, share, find, and solve bugs

Text Version of Message is Missing Part of the Text

Postby DavidSalahi » 9:35pm, Thu 23 Oct, 2008

I'm having a problem with the text version of my messages. Somewhere around the first third of the message, a good size chunk of the text is being omitted. It picks up after the missing text and the rest appears OK at a quick glance. The HTML version works fine; nothing at all is missing.

I'm not using a template. I'm composing the message in Dreamweaver and copy/pasting the code into the message editor in Source view. I've checked the code in DW's validator and it reports no errors or warnings.

I tried turning off the FCKEditor and turning on the TinyMCE editor. (Oddly, with Tiny on, it doesn't seem to provide any WYSIWIG view. But that's OK, I don't need it.) Anyway, it didn't make any difference.

The total message size is only 16K but I went ahead and set the message field to longtext after reading about similar problems elsewhere in these forums. It didn't help.

I'm running phplist V 2.10.5.

Any ideas?

David Salahi
DavidSalahi
phpLister

Postby Guest » 7:48pm, Sun 30 Nov, 2008

I too am having this problem. any resolve?

Postby H2B2 » 6:25am, Mon 01 Dec, 2008

DavidSalahi wrote:I'm having a problem with the text version of my messages. Somewhere around the first third of the message, a good size chunk of the text is being omitted. It picks up after the missing text and the rest appears OK at a quick glance. The HTML version works fine; nothing at all is missing.
Could you check whether conversion breaks off immediately before or after some particular html tag, css style, or perhaps a script you inserted?

In the mean time you could try manually editing the text version by enabling the 'manual_text_part' setting in config.php
H2B2

Postby Guest » 1:54pm, Mon 01 Dec, 2008

it was just a regular P for me... there were like 2 or 3 paragraphs missing. I did actually enable the manual text edit and used that. I'll see if I can replicate later and verify the source.

Info on Truncated Portion of Message

Postby DavidSalahi » 6:24pm, Mon 01 Dec, 2008

H2B2,
I was continuing to have the problem but after reading your question I took a closer look at my HTML code. It now looks like the problem is a named anchor tag.

I'm working on a new email now and about a third of this one was being omitted. Following are some text & code snippets that show what's happening. Here is the area of problem text as it appeared in the text-only version of the email:

**ChoosinRead the rest of the article at our website...

It starts out with a few characters from an <h2> tag; here's the code:

<h2>Choosin<a></a>g Keywords for Search Engine Optimization</h2>

As you can see, the word "Choosing" was displayed up to the point where the named anchor tag begins. After that, the rest of the <h2> tag and the next 6 <p> tags were omitted. Then, for some reason, it decides to start including text again with the 7th paragraph ("Read the rest of the article...").

When I moved the <a> tag before the <h2> tag all of the h2 text and the following paragraphs were omitted--until "Read the rest..." at which point it resumed again.

By removing the named anchor I was able to get back all of the missing text.

As before, the HTML version looks fine regardless of whether the <a> tag is present or not.

David Salahi
DavidSalahi
phpLister

Postby Guest » 6:48pm, Mon 01 Dec, 2008

interestingly enough, i too was using an anchor at the same place it cut mine off. at that point i had only done one anchor so far.

enabling manual text has been my best option thus far though.. just doing the HTML version, copying and pasting it into the text box and then tweaking it.

Bug Report #0015193 Submitted on Mantis

Postby DavidSalahi » 10:32pm, Mon 01 Dec, 2008

I've filed a bug report on Mantis.

David Salahi
DavidSalahi
phpLister

Postby H2B2 » 11:16pm, Mon 01 Dec, 2008

Thanks for your detailed report. There seem to have been other issues with the anchor tag:
http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=38787#38787
http://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=9105

but these did not mention that the conversion from HTML to text could result in the disappearance of part of the text.

Could you file a bug report at www.mantis.phplist.com ?
Thx!

Thread moved to the 'Bug discussion' section
H2B2

Return to Bug Discussion