Spam testing

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Spam testing

Postby ELMIT » 7:06am, Sat 16 Jan, 2010

I have to send out to our members emails and the testing emails have been caught by the spam filter of Google. Since both text and html version are caught I believe the problem is in the text.

Is there a site available, where I can test my message for spam interpretation (spam scores)?

bye

Ronald
ELMIT
PL Geek

Re: Spam testing

Postby H2B2 » 5:50pm, Sun 17 Jan, 2010

Besides text content, the spam score of your messages can be affected by a number of other factors, including non-compliance to RFC standards, DNS misconfiguration, etc. For more info, please see: Why are my messages being marked as spam
H2B2

Postby rickpcb » 8:27pm, Sun 17 Jan, 2010

You can send a test message to:
check-auth@verifier.port25.com
You will receive an automated response giving you the results of several tests, including:
Spam Assassin
SPF Domain Keys
DKIM
Sender-ID

That should help. Also use the tools at:
http://www.mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx
to check for open SMTP relay and Reverse DNS
rickpcb
phpLister

Postby ELMIT » 12:45am, Mon 18 Jan, 2010

I like to send the test message to check-auth@verifier.port25.com and added this email address to the users.

How can I enable the return message to be send to an email address I want to?

bye

Ronald
ELMIT
PL Geek

Postby rickpcb » 10:04pm, Mon 18 Jan, 2010

Instead of adding it to users, just use it in the 'send a test message' field after composing your message. It will be returned to the email address it was sent from. This cannot be changed. If you spoof the header you could make it go to a different address, but this will surely raise your spam score since your emails would no longer match... By sending this as a test message first and not adding it to your user list, you will have a chance to review the results before wasting time sending a poorly scored message to your users.
rickpcb
phpLister

Postby ktsixit » 8:56am, Fri 19 Mar, 2010

Hello there,
I have problems with my emails too and I tried to send a test message to check-auth@verifier.port25.com but PHPLIST returns message:

Email address not found to send test message.: check-auth@verifier.port25.com

Is this email address still active?
ktsixit
phpList newbie

Postby Dragonrider » 12:33pm, Fri 19 Mar, 2010

ktsixit wrote:Hello there,
I have problems with my emails too and I tried to send a test message to check-auth@verifier.port25.com but PHPLIST returns message:

Email address not found to send test message.: check-auth@verifier.port25.com

Is this email address still active?

If you are trying to access the above email via phpList, you need to add that email as a subscriber to your List first.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby RobJones » 4:11pm, Mon 25 Oct, 2010

ELMIT wrote:I have to send out to our members emails and the testing emails have been caught by the spam filter of Google. Since both text and html version are caught I believe the problem is in the text.

Is there a site available, where I can test my message for spam interpretation (spam scores)?

bye

Ronald

The problem might not just be with the text but also with the domain you are sending your email from. There is a chance that google may have black listed you in the past.

I would suggest you sign up with one of the legit email management services like Awebber or Get Response as they always work on being white listed by google. Plus they also do the text checking thing you where talking about.

Let me know if you need any help setting this up.

Rob
RobJones
phpList newbie

Postby Mister Paul » 1:47pm, Fri 31 Dec, 2010

Hi,

I have some problems using check-auth@verifier.port25.com
- if I use my client mail app: it's OK and I get the report
- if I use PHPlist I don't get any report... Even if check-auth@verifier.port25.com is added as a list subscribed contact or if I send a test email... I tried with 2 different mails (means with different FROM/REPLY TO emails...)

What could be the reason ?

Thanks for your help
PAul
Mister Paul
PL Geek

Postby Mister Paul » 2:36pm, Thu 06 Jan, 2011

To make it shorter :
- when I use phpList to send a message to check-auth@verifier.port25.com -> I don't get any answer
- when I use other mail apps (like MaxBulk or even my client mail app on my Mac : Mail) -> I get the answer from port25.com
:(

Any idea?
:roll:
Mister Paul
PL Geek

Postby BlueLuke » 2:26am, Tue 24 Jan, 2012

These are the two ways I check for spam..

I use the free tool over here, to tweak my newsletters.

http://www.unlocktheinbox.com/spamscore.aspx

You can also send an email to mailtest@unlocktheinbox.com

Which gives you a more realistic spam score, since it does a full test based on your email headers.
BlueLuke
phpLister

Return to Question & Problems - after installing