phplist 2.10.12 bug daily send of messages doesn't process

Discuss, research, share, find, and solve bugs

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby mrmckoy » 1:25pm, Fri 11 Jun, 2010

CS2 wrote:When you say, "...the first time I set the message up and schedule it... it does send!" what does that mean? Does it send to the entire list? Are you trying to resend the same message?


Hey there .. I think your not understanding what i'm trying to do.
1. setup a daily scheduled message for RSS
2. put it in queue.
3. 1st scheduled time it will send
4. after 1st scheduled time message will process daily but no message is sent. Although phplist reports it as sent.
mrmckoy
PL Master
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 7:10am, Sat 24 Nov, 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby CS2 » 1:52pm, Fri 11 Jun, 2010

It would have been very helpful if you had mentioned up front that this involved RSS as that is a very different thing from email messages. As I've never used the RSS functions of PHPlist, I'll let someone else see if they can assist you.
CS2
PL Master
 
Posts: 216
Joined: 2:20am, Wed 04 Feb, 2009

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby mrmckoy » 11:20pm, Fri 11 Jun, 2010

CS2 wrote:It would have been very helpful if you had mentioned up front that this involved RSS as that is a very different thing from email messages. As I've never used the RSS functions of PHPlist, I'll let someone else see if they can assist you.


Not really.. RSS has nothing to do with it. Your still not understanding honestly. They problem is this version of phplist (2.10.12) breaks daily scheduled sending.
mrmckoy
PL Master
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 7:10am, Sat 24 Nov, 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby nemesis » 1:58pm, Tue 10 Aug, 2010

Hi,

I have a problem with mails which are scheduled to be sent with "daily" frequency. However i use cron to send a mail every morning, the mail is send only once, then never again.
The message requeue is automatic? or should i include something in cron to requeue the message? I don-t think that should I requeue it manually every morning before sending the message.
So, I think i have the problem with the message requeue, because the report is sent to me every morning, but the message not.
nemesis
phpList newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 1:37pm, Tue 10 Aug, 2010

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby mrmckoy » 2:43pm, Tue 10 Aug, 2010

nemesis wrote:Hi,

I have a problem with mails which are scheduled to be sent with "daily" frequency. However i use cron to send a mail every morning, the mail is send only once, then never again.
The message requeue is automatic? or should i include something in cron to requeue the message? I don-t think that should I requeue it manually every morning before sending the message.
So, I think i have the problem with the message requeue, because the report is sent to me every morning, but the message not.


what version are you using? This IS the exact problem i described to them. PHPlist released an announcement about starting a new version...

BUT THEY AREN'T FIXING THIS BUG!
mrmckoy
PL Master
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 7:10am, Sat 24 Nov, 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby nemesis » 5:51am, Wed 11 Aug, 2010

mrmckoy wrote:
nemesis wrote:Hi,

I have a problem with mails which are scheduled to be sent with "daily" frequency. However i use cron to send a mail every morning, the mail is send only once, then never again.
The message requeue is automatic? or should i include something in cron to requeue the message? I don-t think that should I requeue it manually every morning before sending the message.
So, I think i have the problem with the message requeue, because the report is sent to me every morning, but the message not.


what version are you using? This IS the exact problem i described to them. PHPlist released an announcement about starting a new version...

BUT THEY AREN'T FIXING THIS BUG!



I use version 2.10.12
Can You explain me step by step what should I do?
nemesis
phpList newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 1:37pm, Tue 10 Aug, 2010

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby GazOutEast » 3:47am, Sun 05 Sep, 2010

@ Mrmckoy / nemesis

Have you checked that RSS is posting anything at all, or the minimum required items, into the new email after the first send?

The way RSS newsletter creation works (simplest process) is -
1. You add the RSS sources
2. You set the minimum number of new items (topics, posts, whatever) before a new email will send, these are supplied via RSS
3. Daily, phpList checks if you've received the minimum topics yet, if not it holds the email for "tomorrow", if you have at least the minimum, it sends it to everyone on the list who has not received at least one other email from phpList in the previous 24 hours.

There's a couple of important points there -
- In item 2, you as admin control the minimum number of RSS supplied content items that are needed before an email is generated and sent - if this minimum number of content items is too high for the feeds to fill, no email will be sent yet. If the feeds are low frequency with few new items, that makes the send likelihood even lower.
- In item 3, if you (as the witnessing / testing recipient) received an email from PHPList inside the 24 hours immediately before the CRON sending of the daily RSS email, PHPList will NOT send you another email due to spam reduction encoding.

Remember, PHPList aggregates email content per user across all subscription lists - you may be expecting (as examples) to receive a daily email about cashcow business opportunities plus a separate email about your favorite hobby's newest items on eBay, but in fact PHPList will aggregate both of those content sets into one email for a user subscribed to both lists. Therefore only one email will be received, not two.

It's possible that what you are seeing is expected behaviour from PHPList when using RSS to fill the content.

If that's not at all what you're experiencing, then I'll back out, but I suspect it may be part of your "problem".

Gaz
If it's fixed, I can break it
GazOutEast
PL Geek
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 4:47am, Thu 08 Apr, 2010

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby GazOutEast » 2:11pm, Thu 23 Sep, 2010

@ Mrmckoy / nemesis

Did my last post help you resolve your problem?

I will be upgrading three different installs to 2.10.12 this weekend, and I'd like to know this issue is not going to surface for me, because using the above understanding, I'm not experiencing it on 2.10.10

Gaz
If it's fixed, I can break it
GazOutEast
PL Geek
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 4:47am, Thu 08 Apr, 2010

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby HairyDogDigital » 12:22pm, Wed 06 Oct, 2010

Gaz,

You're not going to like my answer, but the bug exists in 2.10.12, but not 2.10.10. At least, not the bug specific to what you are experiencing.

I had the issue of one email address getting hung during processing. The message would send out via a CRON job, but then I would be stuck with a "1 still to process" message in the message queue. The issue was an apostrophe character in a user's email address, which is a perfectly legal character.

After much teeth gnashing the issue was fixed with 2.10.10.

Now, fast forward. My "understanding" was that this was fixed in 2.10.12. I upgraded my installs. Guess what? Problem is back!

So I am now trying to again resolve the issue.

Bah!

--Rob
HairyDogDigital
phpList newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 12:19pm, Wed 06 Oct, 2010

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby GazOutEast » 12:37pm, Wed 06 Oct, 2010

Hi Rob

Thanks for that info - I've completed the first site upgrade and am today compiling the first email to be sent to the 4,300 users - I guess this is where I find out how clean the user list is?

I'll watch for the behaviour you state - does it stop the send, or complete the list but leave the erroneous email address as pending?

TIA
Gaz
If it's fixed, I can break it
GazOutEast
PL Geek
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 4:47am, Thu 08 Apr, 2010

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby HairyDogDigital » 12:53pm, Wed 06 Oct, 2010

To further clarify the issue as I am experiencing it...

The issue comes into play NOT during sending, but during the IMPORT of the email addresses. A single, proper apostrophe in a user's email address is changed to an ’ character entity during the import of the tab-delimited text file.
HairyDogDigital
phpList newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 12:19pm, Wed 06 Oct, 2010

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby GazOutEast » 2:09pm, Wed 06 Oct, 2010

Ah OK

What is the character collation of your phpList install, and of your SQL server, and of the database itself, and of the email table in the users_users table?

If any one of them are unicode (utf8_unicode_ci) instead of utf-8 (or utf8_general_ci) - that is likely where the character switching is coming from.

Might take a bit of tracking down - don't take any displayed setting for granted - double check them all - also open the users_users table and look for individual rows that are different encoding - especially for utf8_swedish_ci rows or tables - I don't know why, but I have accounts with three different UK and US hosting services that keep drifting back to that character collation - no idea where it is coming from and have to reset the databases almost weekly.
If it's fixed, I can break it
GazOutEast
PL Geek
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 4:47am, Thu 08 Apr, 2010

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby motty5 » 9:18am, Tue 19 Oct, 2010

mrmckoy wrote:
CS2 wrote:When you say, "...the first time I set the message up and schedule it... it does send!" what does that mean? Does it send to the entire list? Are you trying to resend the same message?


Hey there .. I think your not understanding what i'm trying to do.
1. setup a daily scheduled message for RSS
2. put it in queue.
3. 1st scheduled time it will send
4. after 1st scheduled time message will process daily but no message is sent. Although phplist reports it as sent.


I experienced a very similar problem when setting up a cron job to process a daily rss message. The first message was send out fine, however subsequent messages where not sent anymore. I followed the cron setup described here.
http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=52512 ( I used the wpget option and added a admin "rssemailer" which is not super admin to commandline users)

For me the problem somehow seems to be related to the permissions of the admin. When I scheduled a cronjob using the superadmin, then everything works fine however when using an admin with less permissions, then it breaks the scheduling and the message is not rescheduled.

The admin "rssemailer" had all message permissions set to owner and was owning both the list to send messages to and had created the original message. I did not have time to look into which page you need access to in order to avoid breaking scheduling, however, it did work for the superadmin.
motty5
phpList newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 8:55am, Tue 19 Oct, 2010

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby H2B2 » 9:59pm, Wed 20 Oct, 2010

motty5 wrote:For me the problem somehow seems to be related to the permissions of the admin. When I scheduled a cronjob using the superadmin, then everything works fine however when using an admin with less permissions, then it breaks the scheduling and the message is not rescheduled.

Useful findings. Might explain why so few users reported this issue in the forum.

Could you file a report in the Mantis bug tracker? Thanks. :)
H2B2
Moderator
 
Posts: 7188
Joined: 1:51am, Wed 15 Mar, 2006

Re: PHPLIST 2.10.12 BUG DAILY SEND OF MESSAGES DOESN'T PROCESS

Postby GazOutEast » 5:25am, Thu 21 Oct, 2010

After you've filed the bug report, can you link back to it from this thread as well please?

I'd like to propose that a default (non-super) admin with correct permissions for cron jobs is created as part of install, or from an option in site-admin (super admin defines user name and password in both cases). Give the role a title such as Cron Admin or Scheduling Admin, which then provides three standard admin types - Super, Standard, and Cron.

Crons and RSS do seem to be the areas where the most problems are reported overall - some serious rethinking is needed on them to improve the admin experience.

Gaz
If it's fixed, I can break it
GazOutEast
PL Geek
 
Posts: 61
Joined: 4:47am, Thu 08 Apr, 2010

PreviousNext

Return to Bug Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron