Professional paid help needed

Find a developer, service provider, or even a job!

Professional paid help needed

Postby h2ojunkie » 3:36am, Fri 06 May, 2011

I tried contacting paid support to find out if they could provide what I needed, but it's been a few weeks and no one has answered other than their stock auto-reply so I thought I'd come here.

We're a 12 yr old established company in need of professional services.

I have a fairly large mailing list (about 230,000 active subscribers). I've used phplist for more years than I can remember. My ongoing problem has always been it takes so long to send my list because of 421 errors. Basically, I've had it throttled to the point that it takes 7-10 days to send my monthly newsletter. I couldn't risk sending it any faster because then my main servers could end up temp blocked by the big domains (hotmail, aol, yahoo, comcast).

I've now moved phplist to what is essentially it's own server. I had an extra sandbox that really doesn't do much most of the time, so seemed like the perfect place to move phplist.

I need someone with experience sending large lists, and configuring phplist in such a way that it can push the newsletter out faster than 10 days without getting 421 temp blocked.

Maybe the best solution is the amazon email service, and if that would let me send quickly without the 421 errors, I don't mind paying for that service. Or if we can take other steps to get the list to send in 3-4 days max without using amazon's service that would be fine too.

The job would entail making sure bounce rules are configured optimally. Ensuring SPF and DKIM is all validating correctly. And if possible, I would like to create custom rules to deal with feedback loop responses instead of me manually having to unsubscribe feedback loop reports.

That's the first part..getting the list sending in a reasonable time frame.

In addition, I would like someone that can write a modification to connect my forums to phplist. When a user registers, add them to phplist but only if they said Yes to receive admin emails. If a user changes their email address, then update phplist with the new email. If a user changes their email receiving preferences in the forums to no longer receive admin emails, then remove/unconfirm them from phplist, etc.

Right now, I'm having to manually compare phplist against the userlist in my forums and find any new users with a manual sql query then import those new users to phplist and it's just getting old. It's time i have it set up right.

If anyone at phplist is monitoring this forum, let me know if you offer this kind of paid support.

Or, if you're an independent developer that can provide these services then please contact me with your information.
h2ojunkie
phpLister

Re: Professional paid help needed

Postby NYChris » 2:37pm, Fri 06 May, 2011

You have a completely different issue that I also had to get through at one point.
Now I send over 120,000 per day without any 421 BS.

Please check your IP addresses against all blocklists and AOL's IP reputation tool, and Microsoft's "Smart Network Data Services".
I guarantee you'll see why you're getting 421's.

If you still need help, send me a PM.
NYChris
PL Geek

Postby h2ojunkie » 5:59pm, Fri 06 May, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually gone through each of the things you've listed already.

SNDS reports IP status as normal

AOL reports reputaion as Neutral

And the only blocklist I've ever come up on was barracuda, and that was only once. I check http://www.mxtoolbox.com every month before sending that month's newsletter to make sure I'm not on any of the blacklists.

I wish I could send 100K+ a day.

Are you sending all from one IP?

If so, what kind of batch/throttle settings are you using?

I only send one newsletter a month, but like I said it's about 230K subscribers. And a lot of email on the big domains.

Yahoo and Hotmail are both 60K emails each for example.
h2ojunkie
phpLister

Postby NYChris » 11:00pm, Fri 06 May, 2011

Yep, 1 IP.
Nope, No throttling.
Yep, Yahoo & AOL have a ridiculous amount of recipients (so do Gmail and hotmail) in my lists.

230K addresses should take about 17 hours on a bad day.

More info sent via PM.
NYChris
PL Geek

Return to Work & Commercial Projects