Add Bcc on e-mails

Questions about phpList features (the answer is probably 'Yes!')
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Add Bcc on e-mails

Postby favhot » 11:51am, Mon 15 Oct, 2012

Hi

I cannot find a option to add Bcc on e-mails or to create a group of recipients that don't show their e-mails or names.
Can you tell me.
Thanks,
favhot
phpLister

Re: Add Bcc on e-mails

Postby Dragonrider » 12:43pm, Mon 15 Oct, 2012

Not an option on phpList as each email is sent individually, hence no need for BCC.

As for creating a group of receipents, that's the same as creating a list for those people. Emails and names only get shown to the person receiving said list mail. IE: Joe bloggs recevies his email at his email, addressed to Joe bloggs and no one else sees his details, and he sees no one elses name of details.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby favhot » 6:30pm, Mon 15 Oct, 2012

Thanks! I need to set up a list of e-mails to check but dont know how!
favhot
phpLister

Postby uptime » 3:42pm, Tue 20 Nov, 2012

Hi, I have a slightly different problem to solve.
I know that the system sends each email as single sending, but, as a request of my customer, I have to include his address as BCC in each email sent, no matters if are a lot or all the same.

How can I achieve this? I Saw

function AddBCC($address, $name = "") {^M
$cur = count($this->bcc);^M
$this->bcc[$cur][0] = trim($address);^M
$this->bcc[$cur][1] = $name;^M
}

in class.phpmailer.php but I don't know exactly where and when call this function to accomplish my customer's needs.
uptime
phpLister

Postby Dragonrider » 4:29pm, Tue 20 Nov, 2012

If your customer wants a copy of each email sent out by phpList then depending on the size of the list, he could end up with a few hundred identical emails.

I don't know, or want to know his reasoning, but if you ensure his email address is registered on the system, simply add his email address to each LIST and he will get a copy of each newsletter sent, but not be flooded by 100's (1000's) of copies on one email.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby uptime » 4:37pm, Tue 20 Nov, 2012

Ok, He wants a copy of each email sent, no matters if his mailbox will be flooded, we discussed about this and his point is that he has a shared mailbox, and his employees have to take an email, and make a callback to every people contacted by the mailing list, and then reply-all the message to send the contacted people copy of the previous email with the summary of the callback phone call. So, it is important to have an email address in BCC in every sending. This is the way my customers reason.
uptime
phpLister

Postby mrmckoy » 9:03am, Tue 11 Dec, 2012

uptime wrote:Ok, He wants a copy of each email sent, no matters if his mailbox will be flooded, we discussed about this and his point is that he has a shared mailbox, and his employees have to take an email, and make a callback to every people contacted by the mailing list, and then reply-all the message to send the contacted people copy of the previous email with the summary of the callback phone call. So, it is important to have an email address in BCC in every sending. This is the way my customers reason.

There are limitations but the best thing to do is include him in the message sending notifications and on the newslist. So he would get three (3) emails each time.

One would say message sending started
    One would be the actual message
    And the last would say message sending finished.

If he wants to see how many sent give him access to an admin login the message is sent under and give that 'admin' access to a copy of your list. You can restrict it from exporting emails.
Last edited by mrmckoy on 10:07am, Tue 11 Dec, 2012, edited 1 time in total.
mrmckoy
PL Master

Postby uptime » 9:30am, Tue 11 Dec, 2012

Well, i did not ask for this kind of things... I am surprised that the moderator just dumped my request. I did not ask for a new functionality, but only the place in which I had to look in inserting one or two lines of code. I espected myself a little cooperation, and not support from an opensource project.
I think I succeeded in my intent, I only have to test it. But, since the moderator says that my request was a nonsense and wonders how my client reasons... I'll keep for myself!
Cheers and Merry Christmas...
And, yes, I was sarcastic...
uptime
phpLister

Postby mrmckoy » 10:03am, Tue 11 Dec, 2012

Well its more of a custom feature than one we all would use. In fact most people would not use it because it would destroy a sender score for a particular IP. Your client wants assurance that your newsletters are going to certain emails. He can review statics reports if you want or you can have him get a copy of the 'send report' at the end of the email.

What he wants is unreasonable from even a technology standpoint. Its damaging technically to your sender score and thats a huge chunk out of the hourly rate limit allowed by most domains.

uptime wrote:Well, i did not ask for this kind of things... I am surprised that the moderator just dumped my request. I did not ask for a new functionality, but only the place in which I had to look in inserting one or two lines of code. I espected myself a little cooperation, and not support from an opensource project.
I think I succeeded in my intent, I only have to test it. But, since the moderator says that my request was a nonsense and wonders how my client reasons... I'll keep for myself!
Cheers and Merry Christmas...
And, yes, I was sarcastic...
mrmckoy
PL Master

Postby uptime » 10:17am, Tue 11 Dec, 2012

This is not true, because this is going to be in an internal mailserver (as mentioned in one of the previous messages if I remember correctly), so, every extra copy of the message, will remain inside of my client's server. That's all. So, thanks for your reply but I did not ask any advice of how emails works, I'm not a novice in my work even if was the first time in this forum and I can understand certain answers not on topic because people increase their reputation in the forum posting and posting and posting. So, I don't want to waste time in reading how emails, reputations, spam techniques and stuff like this works.
The funny thing is that, if this is so a bad practice, why stuff for bcc and cc are in the code of phplist?
And, a kind responde like "i don't suggest you to do so, but you can add your code <here>" would be more appreciated than a rude comment on "mental illness" of me and my client.
Thank you for your will to discuss, al least you've been kind, and I'm sorry If I've been not so polite but I remember why usually I don't even try to write to forums.
uptime
phpLister

Postby mrmckoy » 10:23am, Tue 11 Dec, 2012

Nobody mentioned mental illness but you. And truthfully I can't think of any enterprise enviroment I've worked in throughout my 20 years as an admin where BCC of every email was done. People prefer stats. Not even for PCI or other regulatory stats.

The BCC function in config is for letting the super administrator of the entire system know what the admins and schedule crons are doing.
mrmckoy
PL Master

Postby uptime » 10:32am, Tue 11 Dec, 2012

Well, I was interpreting a precise statement and you did not write anything in this sense. I mentioned reason why this person prefers copy and not stats, so your is an useless argumentation. I'm not upset because someone like you wonders why I asked this kind of question. But the answer was (interpreting what was written) "No, you don't have to do it" and stop.
Thank you, I don't want to go further in this kind of discussion.
If you have suggestions in where to place code and stuff like this, you're welcome.
uptime
phpLister

Return to Does phpList do this?