Throttling, batches and Periods... I am struggling

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Throttling, batches and Periods... I am struggling

Postby mckeephoto » 1:58pm, Wed 29 May, 2013

I am on a mediatemple gridserver and have been attempting to make sure that I am throttling correctly to avoid going over. But, my math isn't always so good, so if someone can confirm what I am doing, I would appreciate it!

Attempt #1
Batch_size, 0
Batch_period, 3600
Throttle, 8

I think this meant that I was sending 1 email every 8 seconds, for a total of 450 per hour, which is 50 less than the 500 per hour limit. And, about 6 per minute.

The result was that I kept getting a "website is currently unreachable" error, which lasted a long time (could have been an hour?) But, I never really saw the process queue page as a result.

Attempt #2
Batch size, 15
Batch_period, 120
Throttle, 1

Does this mean that every two minutes, it will send 15 emails, 1 second apart? Which would mean 450 per hour.

Is that correct?
mckeephoto
PL Nut

Re: Throttling, batches and Periods... I am struggling

Postby AK47 » 4:26am, Wed 05 Jun, 2013

Does this mean that every two minutes, it will send 15 emails, 1 second apart? Which would mean 450 per hour.

I would agree with your calculation and think that PHPList would send every second one mail for the first 15 seconds of a period, then pauses for about 105 seconds and send the next 15 Emails.

Theoretically you should also send 450 Mails per hour using these settings:

define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",1);
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",8);
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',0);

With these settings PHPList should send 1 Mail every 8 seconds, or 450 mails per hour. I was testing these kind of configuration because i sent a test-newsletter in my browser and i need short refresh-cycles. But i'm just a beginner, so please be careful and test everything with your own domain.

Best regards,
AK47
AK47
phpList newbie

Return to Question & Problems - after installing