[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3893)
phplist forums • View topic - Installed phpList yesterday, server infected w/ virus today

Installed phpList yesterday, server infected w/ virus today

Discuss, research, share, find, and solve bugs

Installed phpList yesterday, server infected w/ virus today

Postby vapblack » 2:10pm, Wed 26 Jun, 2013

vapblack
phpList newbie

Re: Installed phpList yesterday, server infected w/ virus to

Postby Dragonrider » 2:42pm, Wed 26 Jun, 2013

I don't work for phpList but in my personal opinion it is unlikely that phpList is either hacked or responsible for your server attack.

That said, where did you obtain the zip file that you used to install phpList? The official location to download from is which is the official source for downloading phpList.

The source for a hack is usually a weak password or incorrect file permissions (files:644, directories:755) and it's well worth changing your server password once you've got things clean, and yes, I speak from experience, sadly.

Another tweak to prevent hacking is to set the .htaccess files in the admin directories to deny all except your own IP from gaining access. It's great if you are on a static IP, but if your ISP uses dynamic then it's a little harder but still worth trying.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby vapblack » 2:59pm, Wed 26 Jun, 2013

Dragonrider, thanks for that advice. it seems very usefull. I'll implement them ASAP. If you have any more advice I'm all ears (or eyes, rather)

Also, I installed using an automated installer called simplescripts.
vapblack
phpList newbie

Postby Dragonrider » 8:10pm, Wed 26 Jun, 2013

I'd not heard of simplescripts I must admit, but having Googled them (all praise Google) they seem similar to Fantastico/Softicious.

Sometimes there does seem to be problems when using these installers, 99% of the time I'll install a phpList by manually uploading though it does take a lot longer to upload. That would be your last resort I guess.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Return to Bug Discussion