Essential questions to functionality and different versions

Questions about phpList features (the answer is probably 'Yes!')
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

Essential questions to functionality and different versions

Postby Bravestarr » 1:05pm, Tue 20 Aug, 2013

Hello,

i'm very confused about the functionality of phpList both version 2 and 3.

I just created a template with a header graphics and the preview looks good in the template editor, but the template layout does not appear in the editor when creating a draft message/campaign. Instead of the template layout there is always a white background.
How can i see the WHOLE newsletter like in a preview and without sending it through a test email?

The next problem: Most of the newsletters have an appealing layout with pictures and floating text, because a huge continuous text without pictures and layout is very boring for the readers. Due to the lack of duplicating a draft message i think this problem could only be managed by templates...but can i determine different content sections in a template and use it in the campain editor? I think this problem also belongs to the missing preview function, because when the template would be displayed in the campain editor, i would be able to insert different text to different areas/divs.

At the moment i would save the source codes of the newsletters in textfiles on my harddisc and copy/paste it to a new campaign...To see the result i have to send a testmail to myself, go to my email client, check for new mails and open it. I know that i allways have to check the newsletter with different email clients before sending, nevertheless it would be very helpful to have a preview at the stage of creating the content to see how the content layout looks with the template layout in the background. Am I alone in thinking the actual approach seems to be conceived in a very unsatisfactory manner?

I found a php hack in the forum for duplicating draft messages, but i don't understand why this very old mantis-request was not implemented in version 3...and of course i don't know if this old patch is working in the new version...

Greetings,
Bravestarr
Bravestarr
phpList newbie

Re: Essential questions to functionality and different versi

Postby SomethingWickedITA » 1:50pm, Thu 22 Aug, 2013

I share the doubts of Bravestarr.
Also, I'm wondering why this useful template ownership feature (https://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=15366) hasn't been implemented in this new release.
SomethingWickedITA
phpList newbie

Re: Essential questions to functionality and different versi

Postby Sven2157 » 3:04am, Mon 26 Aug, 2013

I have a working example, if you are interested in trying it out. It will eventually be part of a bigger plugin, that I plan on releasing in the next week or so.

I have a development list setup, with some dummy information. If you( or anyone reading this ) are interested in trying it out, PM me, and I will send the login information to you.

:wink:

Sven2157
Sven2157
PL Master

Return to Does phpList do this?