Failed to initialise tables

Once you've installed phpList... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation.

Failed to initialise tables

Postby dogschool » 2:20pm, Tue 27 Aug, 2013

Version 3.0.2
IE8 and Chrome browser.

Upgraded to version 3.0.2 and now the whole systems is broken.

I first noticed this when a client rang to say they had emailed me but were not sure if I got it. I had not had any emails for a few days. I logged in to the new system and found that trying to initialise the DB I get errors for EVERY table.

An example of this is Initialising table Attribute : error table already exists.

Like I said, this is the case for every table in my database.

New users can subscribe but I am no longer notified of them. I use the script as a contact page where users can ask me questions. I no longer get the emails.

I cannot even export my database to a csv. That section also fails.

I am using cpanel and softalicious install.

I need to backup the database so that I dont lose several years worth of clients contact details.
dogschool
phpList newbie

Re: Failed to initialise tables

Postby Dragonrider » 3:11pm, Tue 27 Aug, 2013

The bad news first, you can't make a backup after the database crash, the notification of a new version of phplist both here on the forums and when updating via softalicious warn about making a database before installing the upgrade.

You wouldn't need to initialise your database after an upgrade, that's only for the initial install as far as I know. After an update, you'd upgrade phpList (System>Upgrade PhpList) this just updates the database to 3.0.2

If you didn't make a database backup first, then your only hope may well be to ask your host if they have a recent database backup, some hosts do this as a matter of course, others, as a chargeable option.

Another thing you could try, is visit myphpAdmin and see if you can repair the db or recover it. Consider making a copy of your database via myphpAdmin, that should be doable, and then work on the copy and see if you can repair it. A possibility this page may help you as a guide?

My databases are backed up once a week via a cron job so if the worst comes to the worst, I'd only lose a week's data.
My sites:- http://wharfedalefestival.co.uk, http://ilkleygardeners.org.uk, http://emergencyaid.net, http://dragonrider.co.uk
Latest phpList version is now 3.0.12 (3 February 2015) and requires a minimum of MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.x
Dragonrider

Postby dogschool » 4:22pm, Tue 27 Aug, 2013

if I can get an older copy of my database from my provider what would i do with it?
dogschool
phpList newbie

Postby Sven2157 » 7:37pm, Tue 27 Aug, 2013

dogschool wrote:Initialising table Attribute : error table already exists.

This is VERY poorly worded. Initializing is a final step after creation.

However, this message is trying to tell you, and should read:
PoorlyWordedScript wrote:Creating table Attribute: error table already exists.

As that is really what it is doing; Creating the Table( s ).

dogschool wrote:if I can get an older copy of my database from my provider what would i do with it?

That depends on what the give you, if anything. There are a couple scenarios I can see here:
  1. They provide a .SQL dump of your previous database.
  2. They provide you a .SQL file of the data only.
  3. They Restore Your previous database.
  • In case 1:
    • This will be a FULL create SQL file. You would have to DROP( DELETE ) ALL tables in your database, then execute that SQL script.
  • In Case 2:
    • You would have to DROP( DELETE ) ALL tables in your database. Then create a new database, using the previous install scripts. Then execute the SQL script to populate the tables with the correct information, again.
  • In case 3:
    • You have to do nothing with the database. However, you would have to delete all the new phplist files/folders and upload the previous version again. Of course, making a backup before doing anything, right? :wink:
Either way, you will most likely have to pay( usually pretty high ) for your hosting company to do this. That is how it is with my hosting anyway.

Sven2157
Sven2157
PL Master

Return to Questions and Problems after Installing