[how to] insert a link for Online view of the message

Solutions for other phpList version 2 users
Forum rules
Please do not ask questions here, this is for Solutions you have discovered or come across.

[how to] insert a link for Online view of the message

Postby zsjoska » 8:56am, Fri 21 Mar, 2008

Hi,

I would use something that [ONLINEVIEW] which turns into a link to my webpage and displays the message as a html page.
Is this supported?
How to do this?

Regards,
Jozsef
zsjoska
phpList newbie

Postby Ernesto » 2:20pm, Fri 21 Mar, 2008

The message tracking features that are available are described here: http://docs.phplist.com/MessageTracking
Search first, Ask questions later...
Ernesto
PL Freak!

Postby zsjoska » 6:24pm, Fri 21 Mar, 2008

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I'm not really interested in tracking function. I'm looking for a feature allowing me to deliver the full nice looking content regardless to the mailing client behavior.
I have assumed that placing something like:

In order to see this announcement in it's full glory, please clink on the link: [ONLINEVIEW]

... is a common and widely used feature.
zsjoska
phpList newbie

Postby Ernesto » 6:40pm, Fri 21 Mar, 2008

I don't think there is a placeholder for that. I use a normal link at the top of my message template with an url to the HTML page that contains the HTML version of my newsletter.
Ernesto
PL Freak!

Postby zsjoska » 7:09pm, Fri 21 Mar, 2008

Do you need to create that page manually, or there is a built in feature to display the message?
How to find out the URL?
zsjoska
phpList newbie

Postby Ernesto » 7:18pm, Fri 21 Mar, 2008

Well, what I do is just copy the entire source code of the html message to my html editor, save it as newsletter.html, and upload it to a folder on my domain. Something like www.example.com/newsletter/newsletter.html

I always use the same name for the html file (newsletter.html) and always overwrite the old newsletter.html with the new one. This way I don't have to bother changing the link in the message template. It is always the same link.
Ernesto
PL Freak!

Postby Time_Consumer » 9:10am, Fri 11 Apr, 2008

Ernesto:

But what about [CONTENT] placeholder? if you just put up the html-code to your webspace, how could this site know about your content?
Time_Consumer
phpList newbie

Postby Ernesto » 1:59am, Sat 12 Apr, 2008

Actually I set up my template much as described in the example given in the docs: http://docs.phplist.com/TemplatesInfo

I use an external HTML editor to edit my "newsletter.html" file. As the top part and footer part already hold the fixed elements (identical to my template, but for the full img tag urls), I only need to edit the middle part which corresponds with the message content part.

After I'm satisfied with the results, I have my online version of the newsletter ready for upload to the webserver (including images)

I then just copy the middle part to the content tab of phplist (use the source button of FCKeditor) and that's it.
Ernesto
PL Freak!

Postby Time_Consumer » 1:01pm, Tue 15 Apr, 2008

This sounds like a good solution, i'm gonna try it this way. thanks.
Time_Consumer
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 5:02am, Wed 16 Apr, 2008

Yes, this does look like good solution, and guaranteed to work. :D

For those that are interested in a more complex solution, you can take a look at a couple of mods: viewtopic.php?t=17284

And, if you want to add a link to your own newsletter archive, see viewtopic.php?t=1501

EDIT - related feature request: http://mantis.phplist.com/view.php?id=15553
H2B2

Re: [how to] insert a link for Online view of the message

Postby roseple » 8:38am, Tue 17 Nov, 2009

Hi Ernesto..

Can you please elaborate your post on how can we insert a link for online view of the message. If it is ok to you, can you guide me step by step on how to do that. I been looking for solutions for a couple of weeks but still I didn't make it. Please. Thanks.

roseple
roseple
phpLister

Postby jobzesage » 3:33pm, Fri 21 May, 2010

I love PHP List, but that is a little disappointing. Can we get that basic feature in the next release ???? Please, please, please... :D
jobzesage
phpList newbie

Postby cam » 12:20am, Mon 04 Oct, 2010

jobzesage wrote:I love PHP List, but that is a little disappointing. Can we get that basic feature in the next release ???? Please, please, please... :D
Ditto to this post :wink:
cam
phpList newbie

Return to Answers, Howtos, Tips & Tricks