X emails failed, will resend later

Once you've installed phpList Version 2... ask questions here!
Forum rules
Please help the volunteers to help you by supplying the version of phpList you are using, browser & version and if possible, a link to your phpList installation. This is for Version 2 of phpList (the orange one).

X emails failed, will resend later

Postby Polyhedras » 10:01pm, Wed 02 Apr, 2008

I've been using PHPList for several months now on my personal site--for a group of just over 100 people--with zero problems. So my employer agreed to use it for a bimonthly mailing to about 4000 people. (I'll be getting the boss to donate soon.) Due to our domain host's limits, we throttle that send to 7 messages per minute.

The only problem we're having with the 4000-person list is that there are always about 10 emails that fail, and PHPList just continues to retry them over and over and over. There doesn't seem to be a way to tell it to stop.

If I go to "Messages," the message is listed in the "Sent" tab, but clicking "Process Queue" just starts those same 10 emails over again. On the other hand, if I click "Suspend Sending," the message moves from the "Sent" tab to the "Queued" tab which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Is there any way of telling PHPList to just stop trying to send to those failed email addresses? (Is there any way of discovering what email addresses they are?)

Thanks.
Polyhedras
phpList newbie

Postby H2B2 » 11:34pm, Wed 02 Apr, 2008

H2B2

A Quick Thanks . . .

Postby Polyhedras » 3:28am, Thu 03 Apr, 2008

Thanks for those links. It's comforting to know this isn't just user error. :-D
Polyhedras
phpList newbie

Postby Ernesto » 4:27am, Thu 03 Apr, 2008

This thread is also related: http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?t=14069
You can check for the email addresses that are causing the loop as described in this post by krisdepaepe: http://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?p=41729#41729

check this out (for MySQL):
Code: Select all
SELECT *
FROM `phplist_eventlog`
WHERE entry LIKE '%Error sending message%'

all errors come into the eventlogtable...

Or this:
manage users > reconcile users > find users who have an invalid email

other possibility in PHPMyAdmin:
SELECT * FROM `phplist_user_user`
WHERE email LIKE '%;%';

instead of '%;%', you can choose to use other non-valid chars.
Search first, Ask questions later...
Ernesto
PL Freak!

Checking for Valid Email Addresses

Postby Polyhedras » 1:05pm, Thu 03 Apr, 2008

Re "manage users > reconcile users > find users who have an invalid email," I always run that before sending a mailing, along with the autorepair, and then manually repair or delete any addresses that are still flagged as invalid.

However, thanks for the MySQL idea. I'll give that a try.
Polyhedras
phpList newbie

Return to Question & Problems - after installing